First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Greetings, 

I'm currently using Tsukihime's Followers Event:

http://himeworks.wordpress.com/2013/03/29/event-followers/

It's a great script

BUT

I would like a script that enables the followers to trigger "events"(with event touch condition) and 

NOT the player.

The reason I'm asking this is because I need the player to "guide" the follower towards a certain location in order for the player to go to other maps.

It would be like telling the player: "You can only enter the house once the sheeps are here"(not in the inventory but as a follower).

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks!

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
This would not require a script at all. Set your event to player touch and make the first thing in the event a conditional branch that [sheep] is in the party. Then directly under that put in what you want to happen. On the else branch leave it blank or have whoever you are herding sheep for yell at you for being retarded or something like that.

johnnyistheman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This would not require a script at all. Set your event to player touch and make the first thing in the event a conditional branch that [sheep] is in the party. Then directly under that put in what you want to happen. On the else branch leave it blank or have whoever you are herding sheep for yell at you for being retarded or something like that.
Thanks for replying!

But my problem is that I want the sheep set as a follower and not as an actor (I want the sheep to be excluded from battles on map).

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I misunderstood. Are you eventing this, basically just having it to where when said "sheep is herded it begins to follow you via "Approach" move-route or are you using a pet/pathfinding script to control it better? Either way you should be able to control this with a switch following the same conditional branch idea. You just turn the needed switch on whenever the sheep starts following you.

johnnyistheman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ah, I misunderstood. Are you eventing this, basically just having it to where when said "sheep is herded it begins to follow you via "Approach" move-route or are you using a pet/pathfinding script to control it better? Either way you should be able to control this with a switch following the same conditional branch idea. You just turn the needed switch on whenever the sheep starts following you.
I appreciate the fast response.

I've tried doing that before.  But what I've noticed is that sometimes the "sheep" doesn't follow you consistently throughout your journey to a specific location point.

What I mean is that the follower script I'm using is where followers are affected by obstacles on the map.  The followers may be blocked by some obstacles on the map and the player may have to go back to "guide" them again to reach a specific spot. 

The problem with using switch and variables is that ONLY the player are required to trigger that "goal event" (the event of making sure the sheep is beside/near the player) once the switch/variable is turned on, even without the follower actually being there!

This is why I need a script that allows the "event" to be ONLY triggered by the "sheep" themselves and not the player in order

to make sure that the sheep is actually with the player.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ok, that makes sense. So you are actually herding them, and they can wander off on their own then. The easiest way I can think of to do this is to have an event with a parallel process that is checking two variables against the "sheep" events current location with a conditional branch that variable 1 = the map id of the x coordinate of the place the sheep is supposed to be and variable 2 = y of the same id. Keep that event out of the way though, so that it doesn't block the sheep from going into the pin or whatever because events cannot pass each other.

johnnyistheman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok, that makes sense. So you are actually herding them, and they can wander off on their own then. The easiest way I can think of to do this is to have an event with a parallel process that is checking two variables against the "sheep" events current location with a conditional branch that variable 1 = the map id of the x coordinate of the place the sheep is supposed to be and variable 2 = y of the same id. Keep that event out of the way though, so that it doesn't block the sheep from going into the pin or whatever because events cannot pass each other.
Your idea sounds brilliant!

Thank you!

But I'm not sure how to set up  "conditional branch that variable 1 = the map id of the x coordinate  and the y coordinate"

I've tried searching it in the control variables section but couldn't find it.

Could you help me?

Thanks again!

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sure, in order to set a variable = an event's id you select the variable control/map data/character and select the event id and x and y for the variables... here's a quick example.

Obviously you'd fill in your own stuff for what happens when the sheep stands there but in this example the event won't do anything except constantly check the coordinates of the lost puppy event over and over again until it is at coordinates 19, 15. Once the Event gets on those coordinates the text will pop up.

johnnyistheman

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Sure, in order to set a variable = an event's id you select the variable control/map data/character and select the event id and x and y for the variables... here's a quick example.

Obviously you'd fill in your own stuff for what happens when the sheep stands there but in this example the event won't do anything except constantly check the coordinates of the lost puppy event over and over again until it is at coordinates 19, 15. Once the Event gets on those coordinates the text will pop up.
OMG!!!! IT TOTALLY WORKS!!!

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! YOU'RE SO SMART!!!

DEFINITELY BE CREDITED IN MY GAME!!!

THANKS AGAIN!!!

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What happens if you approach the girl from a different direction, so the puppy is following the player but is NOT on that one tile?

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I was kind of envisioning a type of pin where only one tile is open for access when creating the event. In that case he/she could always create another conditional branch at the end of the first one to check for the other valid locations or else surround the girl with a specific region and check for region id's to simplify it. I figure since the op get's checking the event's map location now he/she can probably figure out that much on their own, I like helping people but in my own personal experiences the best learning experiences are those that steer you in the right direction so that you can understand how to do what you need but still require you to set up the structure exactly how you need rather than just copy/paste an example and be done with it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

How many Vocalist is on this forums?
Stream will be live shortly with some Witcher 3 followed by Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
I have at least three ongoing projects and I have no idea what to do with them.

Gotta love game dev.
I keep seeing the 'file tear' icon when I'm on some post that has images. I'm not sure if it's just me or it's the post, based on the replies I see.
Me: anime is okay. There are a couple good ones and a lot of really bad ones but the good are worth it. Brother: if you bring anime anywhere near me I'll break your nico nico kneecaps

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Howzarion01