Event for multiple objects?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Burgerland, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Burgerland

Burgerland Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Say I have a field of corn with stalks of corn on every other tile, and I want to have the same dialogue pop up when the hero interacts with each stalk of corn. Do I have to copy and paste the same event onto every stalk of corn, or is there a way to attach an event to a certain part of a tileset or to a certain actor?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    "On every other tile" means on every second tile?

If it's just on every tile within a square or rectangular block, you can use my 'large collision' script to have a single event which covers every tile in that group.

If it's on every second tile, or something other than every tile within a block, I also have a 'region common events' script so you can use a region id on the tiles you want the player to interact with, and call a common event rather than setting up individual events. I believe there are a few other 'region' type scripts out there too, so if mine doesn't suit, check out what else is available.

3. Burgerland

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Every second tile, sorry for the confusion. Would these scripts work if I don't want the hero to get the same dialogue for non-corn tiles? For example, the hero would get a different dialogue by interacting with a rock or a NPC. Also, do scripts cause bugs or are they safe to use?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 15, 2016
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    With my region common events script, you would have several different common events - one for corn, one for rocks, etc. You then decide what region id you want to use for each one, and then draw with that region code wherever you want that common event to be called. It is set up per map, so you could have region 1 on map 1 call the common event for corn, and region 1 on map 2 could call a common event for flowers or something like that.

You would not use a region script with an NPC, because NPCs are events anyway, and can also move around. And in most cases you don't want all NPCs to say the same thing. So you would just do each NPC individually, or if you DO want them to say the same thing, you'd use the Call Common Event command.

Scripts are safe to use. The only times there are "bugs" is if you don't use them correctly, or if they're fairly new scripts and the author is still fixing things that they may not have tested.

5. Burgerland

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Thank you!

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses: