Event Graphic Resets Each Interaction

Xzalander

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Premise:
I have a Gate. By default, its graphic is CLOSED.
When the player first interacts with it, the player makes a choice and the graphic changes to 1/3rd open.
The player is kicked out of the event, free to roam and the door is still 1/3rd open.

The player then interacts with the gate again. Immediately, the door state is CLOSED again.
The player makes a choice, the graphic cycles through to 2/3rd open.
The player is kickedout of the event, free to roam and the door is still 2/3rd open.

Third interaction, yet again, the gate is CLOSED.

Need/Desire:
I need the gate graphic to upon interaction remain in its last given state. So first interaction closed, second, 1/3rd, third, 2/3rds etc.

Event Screenshots::
Event ID[2]
Name: STR Event
Switch: 20-CCSTART simply brings the Event and gategraphic into existence via another event.
Between these two is a bunch of conditional branches.
Again between these two images are several conditional branches.

As you can see I have 1 switch CCSTART to bring the event into activity.
I have a second switch STRSET to callpage 2. And a third switch DEXSET to callpage 3.

Ive not included page 3 as it is simply the last frame of the gate opening and a Common Event Call.

Maplayout if it helps? Green orb is what flips the CCSTART switch. Gate is above it.

Tiamat-86

old jrpg gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMV
pretty sure u just need to turn on "direction fix" in the event options (bottom left) the door is closing because it is returning to facing south when u interact with it

Xzalander

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Just gave it a change and its still doing it on interaction.
Edit: I saw that in page 2 it wasnt happening right at the end, it was in a branch, but its still resetting the graphic to default Page 1 state.

So Im clear, its maintaining the correct state when NOT interacted with, but for a brief moment, as you press action on the event, it resets to page 1 graphic, but runs page 2 script.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you want it to pause between each state, and retain that state when you leave the map and return, the easiest way would be to have a different event page for each version of the gate, and switch between them using self switches.

Check the Direction Fix box so the graphic doesn't reset when you interact with it.

Xzalander

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I saw the problem!

Direction Fix On was set, within the actual contents, but not the tick. So not sure if that caused a problem.

However the additional problem was I daftly set it up so that it did a turn left, wait 3, turn right.
Meaning it would not only restart the positioning, it would also step it back.

Solved! Many thanks Shaz and Tiamat.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, Direction Fix needs to be ticked under the event sprite.

If you look at a regular character sprite, you will see there are 4 rows of the same character, all facing different directions.

When you use this sprite in an event, you choose its initial direction, but when the player interacts with the event, the sprite "turns" to face the player. This makes the event use a different row from the spritesheet.

For things that are not characters, and don't have multiple rows that are the same character facing different directions, this could mean the image changes to something completely different when the player interacts with it.

With doors, you can see that each row is a different degree of the door being opened/closed. So you can set the event to use the fully open door image, but when you interact with it from below, it will revert back to the fully closed image.

Checking the Direction Fix box under the event sprite tells it NOT to make the event turn to face the player when it's initially triggered.

You can still use Direction Fix OFF and Direction Fix ON within the move route, to make it change sprite and lock again after changing. But leaving the map and returning will cause it to go back to how you had it set in the editor - it will not remember the last-used sprite. Only using different event pages with conditions will make it remember when you leave the map and return.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I accidently wipe out my entire hdd...
Hey everyone, I'm going to do winners announcement post for the OCCIII after we get the edit bar fixed. It's kind of hard to do any announcement without formatting! Thanks for the patience.
3am me: So how do you feel about a character inviting their own character portrait to a tea party? =D

3pm me: //facepalms
I turned 17 two months ago and I feel like I've grown (personality-wise) more in this 1 year than all the 16 years I had lived combined.
Ugh, I may have been cumbersomely eventing a bunch of stuff I could have easily done changing the tileset "Passage (4 dir)" and "Ladder" options. Oops :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HelpMePleaseAAAA