Prellmarc

Squire
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey folks, I'm doing some Golden Sun like stuff and tapped into my first problem trying to realize the use of skills out of menu to let the event in front of me react to.

What I'm basically trying to do is to freeze a puddle in front of me into a pillar of ice using a Frost spell.
I mean, when I use that spell in front of a puddle, it should freeze. If I use the skill random on map, it should do nothing but an animation played. I tried to achieve that via common events and position variable check, but it either fails due to some direction thing (only works for one side of the puddle) or the common event stopping to work properly once I stepped back and forth the event.

So I thought, maybe someone knows a solution for this, to make an event an field object which would directly react if a certain spell is casted in front of it. I truly know it might be possible with common events though, but after two days of trial I thought I could ask if theres another possibility.

In this video you see the tree thing being moved with a Move spell. That's basically what I try to achieve, to interact with events through field skills.

Any help would be a welcome thing :D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
it should be doable by events alone - in fact with events should be easier to do this than plugins, and I can think of several ways to handle this.
so perhaps you should show us the events you made, and we try to tell you where your mistakes were.

Prellmarc

Squire
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, I attached the skill, the events surrounding the test event to be manipulated, and the common event of the skill.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    377.1 KB · Views: 4
  • 2.png
    2.png
    342.9 KB · Views: 4
  • 3.png
    3.png
    339.7 KB · Views: 4

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
no wonder it didn't work for you....

you don't need events around the target to check for player position, and you don't need to compare the event coordinates to player coordinates when the event is triggered by the player stepping on it...

In the skill common event, you start with two control variables to get player X/Y.
Then four conditional branches (disable else) to check facing, and depending on facing you add or substract 1 to x or y to get the coordinate of the tile the player is facing.

then get location info on that coordinate to get the ID of an event on that position. If get location info returns zero for that check, then there is no event there and you can abort.

if there is an event there, then you can use the event ID to determine which event it is, and decide if the skill should do something or not based on that.

Finally, check for the script command to remotely change self-switches. If you do something with the event, you'll use that script command to change the self-switch of the event you got the ID for - that way the common event works for every event without needing dozens of regular switches.

Prellmarc

Squire
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thank you very much, I will try this out.

Do I have to get location info on each conditional branch then? Do I have to add a list of all events the sills supposed to work on then?

Love that part complex system one has to create and think of ;D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I think you misunderstood what I wrote, please consider working through tutorials on eventing - some of them are linked in the starting point tutorial in my signature.

inside the conditional branches should only be control variable commands with mathematical operations to change the target coordinates.
and after all that you use get location info on those changed target coordinates.

as for deciding which event is which, that depends on how you differ between them. for example you could use the meta command (see help file) to read the note of the event to check what it is. That way you don't need lists at all.

Prellmarc

Squire
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay, I came so far. But I did not find a solution to check if the event has a certain note in it. Thats the only missing thing I can't figure out, along with putting on self switches of this event. The rest works just fine so far, thank you for explaining me. :)

All things I read is to check a CERTAIN event id's note box, so maybe you got another clue for me?

Attachments

• 4.png
    4.png
    85.6 KB · Views: 5

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
All things I read is to check a CERTAIN event id's note box, so maybe you got another clue for me?
that is exactly what I was talking about.
you make the note in a way that it can be read by the meta function as described in the help file, and substitute the variable which contains the event ID for the event ID in that function.

Prellmarc

Squire
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Which help file?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Which help file?
Sorry for not checking sooner, but in RMMV the meta command was listed in the official help file (the one accessed through the editor) under documentation - plugin specifications.
But that entire section is missing in the help file of RMMZ, it does not give any specifications about the javascript commands provided by the engine to help access the database and the events.

it basically was an object command that enabled you to read specific tags in the notebox without having to go through the regex options yourself.
and since many of the commands in RMMZ were changed, I can't tell you how to do it in MZ either.

Prellmarc

Squire
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Darn, I see, okay. I thought I checked a wrong help file.
It's okay, thank you for your help ;)

Maybe I look up some stuff now and learn some goodies :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Chili: Evolved to taste spicy so no animal would eat them.

Humans: "Jokes on you ..."
I guess it becomes purely academic in less than four days but before then can anyone explain to me why the %^&*( animations in the MZ database don't have a 'Hue' slider??
Who here knows of the hidden laws of this multiverse? Such as the law of attraction
Exploding Fruits and Rasaks Pixelfarm Assets | RPG Maker News #108

So ghosts can go through walls and stuff, and depending their type (according to fantasy media) they can or can't interact with objects to a certain degree...

So why they don't always fall through floors? Do they always float and sometimes simulate walking? If things go through them how can they hear/see? And why sometimes they have clothing? Do clothes die as well?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alteria