Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Some scripts read event names because events don't have a notebox for keeping other data.

If you don't use a script to make something from an event's name, then what do you want to make with it?

And why can't you simply place the name you want it to have directly in the editor?

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well, I think its just best to close this post down seeing that changing a name is gonna cause my computer to blow up XD

I really didn't think that changing an events actual name will cause any issues in the long run cuz I just need to change the event names in the game for story changing purpose in the game.

But if its gonna cause my comp to blow up, id rather just disable that feature then. U know what I mean slim jim ;D

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
No - a lot can be done, it will only cause problems if you try to do too much at once.

And especially with scripts it can be simple if you declare what you want - it only got complicated because you never explained what you want to do, only how you want to do it.

Describe the target, not the way to the target, and a scripter might be able to do something simple. You described a method that has a lot of problems - but other things can be done a lot easier.

For example you can store dozens of strings with events permanently by the use of the self-data-suite, they just won't be the event names. But that doesn't matter if you only want to use the names for yourself.

So please tell us what you want to use and change the event names for, then we can tell you how to do it in a better way.

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses

I thought event names werent used for anything but just a name while everything else is referred to as the event IDs?
We use event's name for tags and such since they don't have a note box like other game objects.

Either the name, or the event page's comment. (name is easier imo).

Here's an example similar to the script you are trying to use:

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/45193-trap-events-with-2-trigger-types/

The reason to set up a new reader for event.name is because Game_Event didn't, by default, provide a way for other class to read the event's name. So if we are just making a script to read what's in the event's name, this works pretty well.

I just need to change the event names in the game for story changing purpose in the game.
Why event's name and not event's page? Simply setup a few switches and a new page in your events, and you can easily change how they act based on your story (with switches).

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Why event's name and not event's page? Simply setup a few switches and a new page in your events, and you can easily change how they act based on your story (with switches).
My bad Meow. I was meant to say that the story will change the event name depending how the player chooses its path not I need the event names for story purposes. I totally got that all wrong after reading ur response and rereading what I said which made no sense to what I'm trying to do, LoL

So please tell us what you want to use and change the event names for, then we can tell you how to do it in a better way.
I'm trying to change an events name(script I posted in post #14 in spoiler) via in game with an event name changer. Sorry if I didn't make that clear on this request =(

Sixth

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
If you are trying to change the name because you are trying to modify the enemy assigned for that event during the game, a simple name change won't help you.

The enemies assigned for the events are initialized, and never updated, I guess. That is why a simple name change won't do anything for your cause.

You will need to re-initialize the enemy assigned too after changing the name, so that the enemy actually changes.

I assume that is what you want to do, judging on the example you gave (the <EnemyID> example).

I did not use that Shala Battle System, but in all of the other ABS scripts I have seen, the enemy is initialized only, never updated/changed during the game itself automatically.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm trying to change an events name(script I posted in post #14 in spoiler) via in game with an event name changer.
No - that is a description of how you want to do something - I was asking what that something is that you want to do.
Because if you change the event name and then simply ignore the event's name through the rest of the game, you don't need a name change at all because that name change has absolutely no effect.

Please tell us what effect you want to have from that name change, what should happen with the name after you changed it.

That is what we need to know to solve this problem.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
If you are trying to change the name because you are trying to modify the enemy assigned for that event during the game, a simple name change won't help you.

The enemies assigned for the events are initialized, and never updated, I guess. That is why a simple name change won't do anything for your cause.

You will need to re-initialize the enemy assigned too after changing the name, so that the enemy actually changes.

I assume that is what you want to do, judging on the example you gave (the <EnemyID> example).

I did not use that Shala Battle System, but in all of the other ABS scripts I have seen, the enemy is initialized only, never updated/changed during the game itself automatically.
Oh nah, I just got that from the forum I posted where the name change was to enemy13. I'm not using the name in the battle. I'm using it just for the map and not for the battle purposes.

Please tell us what effect you want to have from that name change, what should happen with the name after you changed it.

That is what we need to know to solve this problem.
I just need it to change the events name so the script I posted in post #14 can take effect via in game XD

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
My bad Meow. I was meant to say that the story will change the event name depending how the player chooses its path not I need the event names for story purposes. I totally got that all wrong after reading ur response and rereading what I said which made no sense to what I'm trying to do, LoL
Then what you really need can be done without doing anything thing to the actual event. Like i said, a switch and such to act as a "flag", then do the condition on how to re-act from there. Same goes to the name, it doesn't really matter what you name the event if you want to give it a "name change", since you can call it anything you like via a game variable.

eg.

Control Variable [1] = "Old Event Name" (you can set up name string in a game variable, just put "name" in the script box)

So in your story message box, 

\v[1] will print that event name in the message box.

when you need to change it later in the story line. Do control variable again Variable 1 and change the name to whatever you like. ;)

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Then what you really need can be done without doing anything thing to the actual event. Like i said, a switch and such to act as a "flag", then do the condition on how to re-act from there. Same goes to the name, it doesn't really matter what you name the event if you want to give it a "name change", since you can call it anything you like via a game variable.

eg.

Control Variable [1] = "Old Event Name" (you can set up name string in a game variable, just put "name" in the script box)

So in your story message box, 

\v[1] will print that event name in the message box.

when you need to change it later in the story line. Do control variable again Variable 1 and change the name to whatever you like. ;)
No. Have u tried it the script I posted in post#14? It shows the events name on top of an event. During the course of the game, im gonna change that name. So, I actually need a way to change that event's name XD

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I just need it to change the events name so the script I posted in post #14 can take effect via in game XD
And what is that effect? What does the script do?
How many times do I have to ask this, because I can't read the language of that script's description?

Edit: ninja'd while writing

OK, what do you want those changes to be? Like how does the names change?

If it's something simple like "all event's should display <???> until triggered", then I suggest a scripter changes the script you posted.

If it is a more complex change, I think you should redirect the script data not to read the event name but to read a self-string created by the self-data-suite.

A third alternative (if thate script can't be modified) would be to completely redirect the event name data to an external text file, but that requires a full script specifically done for this purpose, it can't be done with a simple snippet.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
All it does is the events name gets placed on top of that event sort of like a name persay if thats an actual character in game of that event. So, I just need to know how to change that events name cuz i'm gonna be doing that via in game rather than having to switch out events to do the same plus im gonna be doing this for well over hundreds of events and no points of cluttering my game over clone events with just different event names XD

EDIT:

Im planning of giving my entire city each person a name! So, u can see where "how about just do a copy event with a different name?" will take me. XD

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
So you need a way to change a pop up text on top of an event that is based on event name?

Well, the easier way is, get another script that works based on event's comment and not name. That way when you change the event's page, the pop up name will be changed.

Try this script:

http://hikimoki.sakura.ne.jp/rgss3/script_map/tmnpop.rb

and in your event's page, make a comment and add this:

<namepop EVENTNAMEHERE>

To clear an event's pop up name, make a new page with this comment.

<namepop none>

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I edited my post because we were writing at the same time, read it again if you haven't, and then decide which of the three possibilities to pursue.

After that decision, I suggest that you add that as a better description to the original request post, and wait for a scripter to provide the solution.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
So you need a way to change a pop up text on top of an event that is based on event name?

Well, the easier way is, get another script that works based on event's comment and not name. That way when you change the event's page, the pop up name will be changed.

Try this script:

http://hikimoki.sakura.ne.jp/rgss3/script_map/tmnpop.rb

and in your event's page, make a comment and add this:

<namepop EVENTNAMEHERE>

To clear an event's pop up name, make a new page with this comment.

<namepop none>
Hmmm... this is probably what I need.l'm gonna have to try this out! XD

I edited my post because we were writing at the same time, read it again if you haven't, and then decide which of the three possibilities to pursue.

After that decision, I suggest that you add that as a better description to the original request post, and wait for a scripter to provide the solution.
Yes sir, Mr. A sir /salute ;D

EDIT:

Daaaaamit Meow! I love ya XD  

This is just what I need ;D

Close post plz its solved!!!

MeowFace

Meow
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Meowish
Primarily Uses
You're welcome! and congratulations on your progress! ;)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Next time, simply report topics to be closed

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Alisa: Prophecy of the Falling Stars. Join Alisa, a quiet girl with a heart filled with love and hope, on her journey to prevent a calamity. My next RPG Maker music pack is my largest and most focused pack yet. It's a musical story that focuses on a young heroine named Alisa who has been assigned the ultimate task to prevent a calamity.

SnJj_O.png
Alien Worlds, Minecraft Blocks, Extend Options, Fine Speed Control, Art by Muggu | RPG Maker News #33

Rest in Peace vlog gun...
vloggunsmallface.png
Another unnamed character, and probably last one for now.
She's a dragon girl inspired by fafnir dragon. as always, name suggestion is welcomed.
Dragon_Girl.jpg

Dragon_Girl_1.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bretzel68440