Not open for further replies.

SMcNeill

Dark Dreamer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
As the title says, I'm wondering how one can create a set offset for an event to display on the map. For instance, I've got a nice picnic table displayed on my map, and I want to have an event that basically toggles whether food is sitting on top of that table or not. I've got my nice plates of food saved as a character set, but when they pop up on the screen, they're hanging about 4 pixels off the table. If I could shift them up by just a few pixels, things would look perfect, but as they exist now, they just look wrong -- as if they're ready to all tumble off the table at anytime.

Is there some easy way to move/offset a character (particularly a non-moving character, in this case)? Or what's the solution to an issue like this? Any advice?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
VisuStella's movement and events core has sprite offset notetags you can use for this.

Restart

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Shaz's character anchors works in both MV and MZ, and lets you displace sprites from their default positions with an easy note tag. It's tile-based, and the default is x=0.5, y=1. So if you'll want to change those by a fraction of a tile.

Left: normal chest. Right: chest with a <anchorY: 1.2> note tag.

SMcNeill

Dark Dreamer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Quick question here then is: Is it free? If not, is there a free alternative?

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Are you using the images from the tileset, or do you have them as character sprites?

If from the tileset, you can just move them up a few pixels on the tileset, as long as they don't start to overlap the tile above. Or if you have the space in your tileset, you could move them up so they use 2 tiles instead of 1, and set the top tile's passage setting to a star.

If you have them as character sprites and are adding them via events, putting a ! at the start of the name (either before or after the $ if you have one of those as well) will make it align to the grid, but leaving the ! out will make them be drawn a few pixels higher. Or you could create a character sheet where the cells are a bit taller than 48 pixels and set your sprites a few pixels higher than the bottom of the frame.

All of the above can be done without plugins.

The VS core plugins are free, and my plugin is also free. If you go the plugin route, which one you choose will be based on whether you already have VS plugins and whether you want to use any of the other features it provides.

SMcNeill

Dark Dreamer
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thanks guys. I've been trying to stay away from the VS stuff, as it seems it might lock you into using *just* it, once it's installed. (At least, from what I've been reading on the forums, it seems that way.) That, and the the fact that they have sooo much juicy stuff on their pages to alter behavior and customize stuff, I'm afraid I'd end up going bankrupt buying additional features. (As well as increasing the complexity of the learning curve, as I sort out what the heck I'm doing with the program itself.)

Shaz's plug-in was simple enough to grab and install, and it's working fine and easily enough for my needs. I thank you for both writing it, and sharing it.

(I don't know if mods end up locking threads once they're finished, or not, but if so, you guys can consider this issue solved and completed.)

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Yes, when your support question is resolved, just report the first post and say so, and the mods will lock it for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Sneak peak of my upcoming update! Who's holding her, you may ask? Find out tonight!
10.PNG
BCj
Finished another GUI! Turn indicator wasn't made by me.

ff981f8dc50b03cf58038c644334b454.jpg

3cb092fdc00087acfa0a190fd891f0ed.jpg
Added a small refining scene to my game.

It makes sense that you try to focus on the squishy mages at the back of the party first, right? If the mage can out-DPS the enemy DPS before the latter can kill the tank in front, the fight becomes boring.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
updateddlc