event problems

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Mrpaulyshore, May 7, 2014.

1. Mrpaulyshore

Mrpaulyshore Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Ok this may sound basic but it is driving me nuts. I have an event where my main characters girlfriend rushes to the bathroom to get ready to go out. She's controlled by a switch and autorun event. When I leave

the room however she is in the same spot that she would start in even after the auto run is set to place her in the bathroom. How do I get her to stay in the bathroom even though I leave the room and come back

I ended the event with an self switch (A). someone give me a hand?

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Did you add a new page to the event conditioned by the self switch?

This is Eventing 101 :)

3. Mrpaulyshore

Mrpaulyshore Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    yes I did, I've done enough events to know to add a new page with a self switch a b c or d. I have that and it still won't cooperate. so basically the event ends with her walking into the bathroom and if you leave the room she'll end up

back in the living room, but when you talk to her, her dialogue is the same as if she stayed in the bathroom. 

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    reloading a map will resend all event to their original position. To prevent this, you either need some tricky events with transfer commands, or you need a script "remember event position".

Most people use the script, just search for it (I don't have the link ready)

5. whitesphere

whitesphere Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I think self-switches reset when you change maps.  Is the other room a different map?

If you need the result to be persistent, use a regular switch instead like "GirlfriendGettingReady".

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Absolutely wrong, only a direct control command or a script command can change any switch (no matter self or general), switches NEVER change on changing maps.
    Please check your answers before posting wrong infos ;-)

7. Needle

Needle Sharp as a Tack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Sounds like there's something funky going on with your switches - either that, or you're trying to move an event to a different map, which is impossible. Is your Self-Switch A event page completely empty? It should be if that character has left the room. You'll need a completely separate event in the bathroom to get the girl to stay there. That event should use a conditional switch to activate too. From what I've seen the concept of trying to move events from map to map is something that a lot of people get tripped up on, so I have a feeling this is probably the issue at hand.

For example:

Girlfriend goes to bathroom, activates ""InBathroom" switch to ON. Second event page is empty, conditional if "InBathroom" switch is ON.

Girlfriend event in bathroom only activates when "InBathroom" switch is ON, so she won't be in there unless the first girlfriend event ran. Put your bathroom dialogue here.

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  8. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    No, if you read what the OP wrote carefully, you'll detect that he has a problem with the default engine behaviour that always moves events to their original position upon reentering the map. But because the event was once activated before, the switches remember that the event had already gone to the bathroom, even if the position itself was reset.

9. Needle

Needle Sharp as a Tack Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I see what you're saying. My assumption is that the bathroom is a separate map, which may or may not be true. If it's not a different map, then perhaps a really brief parallel process to move the event to the correct position using "Set Event Location" upon returning to the map on the condition of the "InBathroom" switch would solve this easily.

EDIT: I guess it doesn't even need to be a PP, could be autorun as well. Just a quick conditional adjustment event 

Last edited by a moderator: May 8, 2014
  10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh - I misunderstood.

Yeah - you can do it without scripts by actually having 2 events - one in the original position (and use a switch to make it go to a blank page after she rushes into the bathroom) and one in the bathroom (conditioned by the same switch).  So only one event will be visible at a time, and once the switch is turned on, next time you come into the room the other event will be activated.

Or you can use this, which is what Andar referred to above.