Event switching another Event Off?

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Making my own thread because I'm not sure if it's a beginner thing or an advance thing. In my game, I want it so you recruit two party members, Ashlyn and Helena, through the same Event. Both party members appear as their own Event/Sprite. Either one you talk two triggers the same conversation.

However, the only way I can come up with for eliminating both Events is by making a duplicate of the house without the party member events, transferring the player to the new area and setting up conditional events when entering Ashlyn's House to check if Ashlyn and Helena are in your party or not and then putting you in the right 'instance' of Ashlyn's House. Issue with that is later on when you have 9 Party Members + The Player and want to remove Ashlyn and Helena for some of the newer characters. If you don't have them in your party, when it checks for them when entering Ashlyn's House, you'll suddenly find them recruitable again.

Normally, with Party Recruitment, I use Self Switches so that once that character is recruited, the event turns itself to Switch A, which has no sprite and is essentially the event turning 'off'. Now, is there a way to do that but with two events while only using one event?

Moonport

初心者
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm kind of confused as to what you mean by using only one event. I usually only use self switches on one-shot events (events that only happen once and won't repeat itself), and self switches only affect that single event.

If you want to be able to recruit and remove party characters, you can try using a switch rather than a self switch. If the characters are in party, a switch is on. Then if they're removed, the switch is off. You can try setting conditional branches to check if the switch is on and if the characters are in party or recruitable.

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have two events. One so you can see Ashlyn and one so you can see Helena. No matter which one you talk to, it triggers the same conversation. When you recruit them both, I want both events to no longer be there. If I do it through self switches, only a single event will be gone and you can still talk to the one you didn't talk to, triggering the same conversation again. It'll also be a little weird, as you'd have Ashlyn and Helena behind the player character but also one of them still standing waiting to be talked to.

Your suggestion poses the same problem that using conditionals poses. If you come back after having 'recruited' them, but replaced them with different characters, it'll show their recruitment/introduction dialogue again.

If it was just one character being recruited, I would use just one event and the self switches to turn the event 'off'. I want a similar, permanent, effect done on both events at the same time after you speak to one or the other.

Moonport

初心者
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hmm. I think I understand a bit more now. Give me a sec to work this through.

*Edit:
I got this to work with a Control Switch (from the menu) and not a Control Self Switch. A self switch only affect one single event and has no effect over other events. A switch, however, can be manipulated throughout several events.

In screenshots A and B, I set the same dialogue and event, with only the first dialogue a different name and face graphic, and using a different sprite for both events. And if you select 'yes', a switch would turn on. In screenshot C, if the switch is on, both characters disappear. In screenshot D, if the characters are in your party and you remove them, the switch is off and the sprites are back in their place.

So just be sure to use a switch!

Attachments

Last edited:

TimmyTheNerd

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
The first three pictures are exactly what I needed. The fourth, not so much. After their introduction and addition to the party, they can be added/removed using Yanfly's Party System.

PhoenixX92

The Light Bearer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Making my own thread because I'm not sure if it's a beginner thing or an advance thing. In my game, I want it so you recruit two party members, Ashlyn and Helena, through the same Event. Both party members appear as their own Event/Sprite. Either one you talk two triggers the same conversation.

However, the only way I can come up with for eliminating both Events is by making a duplicate of the house without the party member events, transferring the player to the new area and setting up conditional events when entering Ashlyn's House to check if Ashlyn and Helena are in your party or not and then putting you in the right 'instance' of Ashlyn's House. Issue with that is later on when you have 9 Party Members + The Player and want to remove Ashlyn and Helena for some of the newer characters. If you don't have them in your party, when it checks for them when entering Ashlyn's House, you'll suddenly find them recruitable again.

Normally, with Party Recruitment, I use Self Switches so that once that character is recruited, the event turns itself to Switch A, which has no sprite and is essentially the event turning 'off'. Now, is there a way to do that but with two events while only using one event?
Edit:
I see you got your stuff answered LOL

Moonport

初心者
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Glad I could help! :D

Kes

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I'm tired, so I may well have missed some subtlety, but if you simply want 2 events to 'finish' if one of them is activated, then what I do is a duplicate script call at the end of the cut scene, choice, whatever.
e.g.
$game_self_switches[[135, 18, "A"]] = true
$game_self_switches[[135, 19, "A"]] = true

inside the brackets it's:
map id, event id, the self switch you want to change (never forgetting the quotes).
True is for turning it on, false for turning it off.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

This forum is a great source of procrastination for me.
Today I read "The mouth speaks what the heart is full of." Simple, and reminds me I have a ton of work to do.
Why are cats so darn cute when their tongues are sticking out? If I did that, it wouldn't have the same effect.
The joy when you see a notification, the down when it's just a unnecessary quote of one of your posts again.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mybriguy