Event System, Story Support ( Newbies in distress )

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Dragon God

Indie Game Dev, Concept Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
 Ok, obviously I'm a newbie. I want to create a Story. How do I do that exactly. Please simplified for I have little scripting skill.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Chemical Engineer, Game Developer, Using BlinkBoy'
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
From what I understood from your post, all you need is:

First and foremost, a brain then

physical: Get a pen and paper

digital: open notepad or word

now if what you're asking is for how to do things like cutscenes using events, then I suggest you first play with the event system and try out each command there is and also probably visit the beginner tutorials and eventing tutorials in here...

but seriously, with your OP like that, I think anyone will have the same idea as what I said... that you're looking only on how to make a story... :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
With your mind?

Can you please elaborate what you need help with when using RPG Maker VX Ace? What don't you understand, and what have you tried out? Something as outrageously vague as 'I want to create a story' won't help anyone here, and if you won't update your OP to include more details, I will close it.

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
From what I understood from your post, all you need is:

First and foremost, a brain then

physical: Get a pen and paper

digital: open notepad or word

now if what you're asking is for how to do things like cutscenes using events, then I suggest you first play with the event system and try out each command there is and also probably visit the beginner tutorials and eventing tutorials in here...

but seriously, with your OP like that, I think anyone will have the same idea as what I said... that you're looking only on how to make a story... :)
Woah, I may not to be tech savvy BUT I do know I didn't ask for your sarcasm especially when it seems your insulting me. I have a brain tyvm. I'll take your advice NOT your additude, keep that ikn your private life pal. Second it seems your reply is more intent on giving sarcasm then advice.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 Ok, obviously I'm a newbie. I want to create a Story. How do I do that exactly. Please simplified for I have little scripting skill.
This question is phrased much too general to be answereable, that's why you did get answers that were a bit snippy.

And for your info: the word "scripting" is used differently in RM as it stands for replacing or adding to the game engine by use of the script editor - and any story should NOT be implemented by the script editor. Instead, you implement a story by creating your maps and events on them - so for storytelling, eventing is the term you should search for in the forums.

Other than that, one more advice:

Follow the link in my signature.

I wrote that tutorial to help newbies how to find their way around in the tutorials, the community and the editor.

What will be most helpful to you if you have problems implementing a story are the lnked example games, because in those games you can play the story AND open the game in the editor to see how that story was made.

If your problem is not implementing a story you already have, but coming up with an idea for a story - then I suggest that you read a few books of a genre you like not only for enjoying them, but also to see how that autor constructed the story...

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
It's not meant to be of sarcasm and I definitely don't have any intention of insulting, I simply answered based from what I understood from your post...and IDK if I could have phrased my answer in anyway better... and I also gave you an advice in case what I understood is kinda different from what you have in mind...

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@Ander

I understand it's a vague question but nonetheless it carries meaning. Regardless of my question's condition they have no right to insult me sarcastically. Nor throw their weight around saying my question ain't good enough. I expressed myself just fine, maybe instead of judging me they need to check themselves, that kind of additude is inappropriate especially with their status here as long term members. That's no way to set an example for the RMW community. I don't deserve to be treated that way.

On the other hand I appreciate the tips and advice. I wasn't aware scripting meant this nor that though that was suppose to be obvious with me saying I had little scripting skill. Nonetheless thank you. 

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
It's not meant to be of sarcasm and I definitely don't have any intention of insulting, I simply answered based from what I understood from your post...and IDK if I could have phrased my answer in anyway better... and I also gave you an advice in case what I understood is kinda different from what you have in mind...
IF you couldn't have said that any better then I suppose my original question  (OP) couldn't have been written any simpler. BUT nonetheless I thank you as well. 

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
I never judged you, though it seems that to you it looks that way...

but really, your question is vague... you are asking on how to make a story but posted it in the support section for VX Ace and placed in the title the term Event system... so we're kinda confused if what you mean is how to make a story in general or how to create stories inside Ace...

So if you are really are asking on how to make a story in general, then I guess all of these misunderstanding is simply because of the wrong place the post was placed...

So to make it clear, you are asking for how to make a story in general or how to make a story inside Ace?

anyway, if it's story in general, just find something to read along the lines of what story you want to make

if it's the other, then I'd reinforce my earlier suggestion that you play with the event system first and familiarize yourself with it...

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well I apologise about the Title. I said Event System because I assume that's where to go to make a story. I tried to make Page 1 and 2 as a small conversation between myself and 2 npcs. I did that to test my assumption. I placed my Thread in the Support section of Ace due to the fact Iown a copy of Ace so I figure it be logical to placeit here instead of say XP. 

So I just want to know how to make a story, do I use the Event System. From the replies I got here I wouldn't dare touch the Script Editor untill I gain better skills. I am sorry for the confusion.

Engr. Adiktuzmiko

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Tagalog
Primarily Uses
Then you're in the right forum, because you need help for eventing in Ace, so yes you will use the event system for this as trying to do this with scripts will just complicate your life to a very high degree...

btw, for the NPC talking, you could just use 2 events with the graphics that you need... then put the event commands that you want to one of them... you would also need to decide if you want to make it autorun or player triggered...

also, it might not be a good idea to put the cutscene commands into one of the npcs especially in larger cutscenes so you might wanna make another event that has blank graphics and put the event commands there... it takes practice, don't force yourself to show good results in a few tries... :)

and maybe change the story part in your OP/title to something like cutscenes...

Lastly, if you haven't done so, download the sample game Chrysalis and open it in the maker... you could learn a lot from it...

basically, do something like:

Read Andar's tutorial

Practice with RPGMaker or check out Chrysalis first

more practice

if you encounter problems that you cannot solve, go here and search the forums in case somebody already asked that, if not open up a new thread to ask for help (for eventing problems, make sure to add screenshots of the event pages)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
 I understand it's a vague question but nonetheless it carries meaning. <snip> I expressed myself just fine, maybe instead of judging me they need to check themselves, that kind of additude is inappropriate especially with their status here as long term members. That's no way to set an example for the RMW community. I don't deserve to be treated that way.
Anyone can have his/her own opinions, and everyone uses different words for different meanings.

But in General I think you misunderstood some of the limits and restraints on this community, and as a result you are the one who asked the wrong type of questions.

The RM-Community is a very small but very helpful community - you usually don't find that high a percentage of users who fulfill requests for scripts or artwork. But all of that requires worktime - often enough taken away from the games those work on themselves. And game development isn't something that can be done in a few hours - it takes months of work to create a few hours of gameplay.

As a result, most people in this community expect the new users to do their "homework" before asking specific questions or requests - not only because a lot of questions are solved if the user simply takes an hour to look around the tutorials and think about it, but also because they don't want to wast their own time on things that will bring nothing.

A general question/request without details will require those who might fulfill them to research what the OP meant by the request/question - if you put in the work to make a specific question like "Hot to make a door that opens only when condition X and Item Y are available?", that can and will be answered much faster.

Now back to your statements.

Originally you wrote:

"I want to create a Story. How do I do that exactly."

And then you claim that question would have meaning.

Unfortunately you didn't even tell what kind of a story you want to make - and RM can be used to make a lot of different games/stories:

Do you want to make a "Harvest Moon"-Type farming game, a visual novel (no combat, no movement, only choices to select a story path), an action-RPG (fighting on-map-monsters like Diablo), a regular classic RPG (turn-based-combat, minor story parts and lot of map exploration) or a more modern RPG (smaller but more detailed maps, every NPC with it's own personality and Background story) or half a dozen other types of games possible with RPGM?

All these can be done with RM, but each requires an entirely different approach on how to implement them - and no one can tell you how to make your story unless you tell us first what kind of story you want to make.

While I was writing this text, you added replies that show you want to know how to make a conversation between the player and an NPC. That is a specific question, and if you had asked that first, then you would have gotten a direct and short answer.

For each conversation, cutscene or similiar things you need ONE event controlling everything. That event needs to be triggered somehow (usually autorun for cutscenes, player touch for player/NPC conversations or switch conditioned autorun if the player should trigger the conversation between two different NPCs somehow).

That one controlling event will then use move route commands to move all other events in the scene (the move route command can be targeted on other events or the player, only the default is "this event" but that can be changed), and place show text commands for conversations (again, the show text command can show any face for the "speaker", it doesn't need to be in the same event as the NPC that is supposed to be speaking).

My "starting point" also contains links to event tutorials, follow them if you have more questions on how to do that.

The Dragon God

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Well I'm sorry for the confusion.

Celianna

Tileset artist
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Since you didn't update the OP, and didn't elaborate, I'm closing this.

Please create a thread only when there's a problem you've run into and don't know how to proceed, and only after you have first consulted with some beginner tutorials to get acquainted with the program. Read some tutorials first, specifically about switches and event pages. Maybe then you'll know how to phrase your question better so we are more equipped to answer it.

Closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Updated my state Stacker Script on itch.io, github is down for some reason (probs just me).
Wife watching Locke and Key. This show is so bad!! You can't just acclimate to discovering magic or magical worlds in less than 60 seconds.
I think I still prefer RPG Maker over Dreams. Been playing around with it, and the controls are really the biggest flaw for me.
Watching Dragon Quest: Your Story on Netflix and already like 5 mins in we've passed over like 3 hours of gameplay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Enkidu