Event that spans multiple tiles

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Arise, Mar 29, 2017.

1. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

I'm looking into a simple way to make events that occupy more than the standard 48x48pixels tile, like a big monster for example or a big house.
    I would like to be able to engage the monster when I touch on his outside not a single tile.
    Same for buildings, I would like to be able to set the transparency when I go behind a building.

I would like this to work with parallax mapping, if this has any influence.

I know there is EST - EVENT SIZE AND TRIGGER but is saying: "This script can give Size to event. Event size is not passable by player."
    I would like to walk over the event in case is a building.

Also I know there is the Region Events plugin that I think could help (but not sure), however it seems to ask for a region number and not happy with this because I could have two overlapping big events?

I'm open to any idea...

Thanks!

2. somenick

somenick Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Well, the problem with the Region Events plugin is that, as far as I know, region ID tiles do not move around, so it would only work for a monster that does not move (would probably be OK for a house). You would probably need to set a switch / compare conditionals / or something once done with the event so it does not trigger again if this is what you seek.

3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Events are not buildings, and you should not use them as such.

the plugin you mentioned (and similiar ones) are the only option you have other than making multiple events and connecting them.
    However, I think you should start by learning how the engine is intended to be used and how maps work, because your comment about using events as buildings indicate that you have several misconceptions in that area.

4. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

I understand that a building is not an event, but I assume this is the only way I could make it to behave when the character is interacting with it (like going semi-transparent).
    I just want to be able to go behind a house and see stuff there.

5. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    you can't "go behind a house" like this. the event is usually the entrance to the house instead of the entire house.

"going behind" walls or anything like that is not supported by the perspective used in the default mapping - there might be plugins that allow you to go behind walls, but even that is limited and won't show the player what is there, just allow him to go there - and the idea of making a large house a single event (instead of only making the entrance like that) is a bad one for several development reasons.

6. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

I think I want something like in this video.

I could try to implement it the same way I assume but I find it terrible cumbersome to implement.

The tree is one large single event also?

7. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yes, that video is a cumbersome way and I can think of several ways to improve it (just one really important warning: parallel processes should be used as few as possible, and using them like in that video will cause lag and problems on any but the most powerfull computers as soon as you put more than a few trees that way).

However, some restrictions cannot be circumvented - and he doesn't either.
    And your idea of using the same method for houses is a very bad one, because it ignores several restrictions of that way that the video creator didn't mention.

1) he is using it for trees, because you don't interact with trees - anything using the same method cannot be interacted with at all, which means if you make a house that way you will not be able to interact with the house (like not being able to enter it and so forth).
    2) that method works for trees, because while being high and large, they have only a small point where they are on the earth and block movement - in case of a house most of its area will be on the ground, and you being able to walk there without entering the house would be very strange.
    3) your alternative of using large events is even worse than his implementation with parallels and region IDs, because that will really mess up the map structure.

Please look for other examples of using the region ids, the same plugin he mentions can (with a few different tricks) be used to allow you walking behind the walls (which are only 3-4 tiles high anyway) instead of handling it like a tree of that size.

8. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

Ok, thanks, I now sort of understand what you are saying, just a couple of things to clarify.

When I want to go behind object, is just like behind his tree, but that doesn't mean I will go behind a house starting right after its foundation, this yes, I'm sure it will look strange. I want it more like I'm going behind the roof or something. The house should include a much darker (maybe not even transparent bottom, while gradually going transparent at the top, where the fake effect should take place.

Your example with the walls I think are better.

About the door... like mentioned above and like in his tutorial, some portions of the map (and the bottom of the hose can be marked as non-walking area) so the door can stay in place and used as usual. Not all area occupied visually by the house on the screen will be considered as an area...

About using region ids I think yes, this might be possible, but for example in the video above he is doing the trick by going behind multiple trees at the same time. Lets forget about a house and go back to trees. If I want to go behind a tree, using region ids only, then I can't use it if there are multiple trees, because all trees will go transparent even if not all of them are required to do that, right?

I'm open to any other suggestion/technique, if you can help with some links where I can see the "walking behind the walls" I would be grateful.

Same for monster... if I have a big fat monster, how do I engage a battle with him without stepping over his head only to reach at his base in order to find the even cell?

9. CatFish21sm

CatFish21sm Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I don't know if you found an answer yet and I might be necro posting but
    As for monsters I If the monster is standing still then you can use the above mentioned region events plugin to solve this. Otherwise it will require research on your part because I don't know which one it is but I saw a plugin not long ago that allows you to activate an event by stepping within so many tiles of the event. This of course wouldn't completely solve the issue (I don't think) Because it will effectively create a square around your event, so if they get too close it will go into the battle sequence, or whatever event you want to play in response, but it sounds as if it might work for you.

As for region id's if you use the region event's plugin you would have to set a different region for each house. But it could work if you have fewer than 200 :p

Last edited: Oct 22, 2017
  10. Arise

Arise Veteran Veteran

Currently I use Quxios plugins, QMap lets you have transparent events, and there are also collision elements to trigger a collision for defining bigger areas.