Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
2021-10-11.png
This is the event in question.

This is from a minigame where you're supposed to avoid five blue flames in total, and the longer you avoid them the better prizes you get. What's wrong is that when they bump you, it doesn't always start, it seems you have to be facing them (which I though was "player touch" and not "event touch"), and I tried putting them "below characters" but even if they went below my player character they had to keep going in a straight line and not go back in order for it to work.

Can anyone help with this?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1) event touch means that the event has to move onto the player to trigger. Player touch means that the player has to move on the event to trigger.

2) This means that the flame has to move to trigger, and I see no move command anywhere - autonomous movement is fixed and the set move routes are empty.

3) priority determines the position of the player on triggering. Below means the player has to stand on the event (same position), same as means that the player cannot step on the event and instead can trigger from any of the four sides (position next to the event)

SongQueenSaeryen

The Songstress of Harmony
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
1) event touch means that the event has to move onto the player to trigger. Player touch means that the player has to move on the event to trigger.

2) This means that the flame has to move to trigger, and I see no move command anywhere - autonomous movement is fixed and the set move routes are empty.

3) priority determines the position of the player on triggering. Below means the player has to stand on the event (same position), same as means that the player cannot step on the event and instead can trigger from any of the four sides (position next to the event)
I should mention that a control event sets the flame to start moving in random directions repeatedly when the game begins, and to stop if the timer reaches zero (as you can see, all the flames stop also if you run into one). I did that so you wouldn't get a difficult start or a loss at the start, plus by setting it to "random" in the event itself rather than "fixed" they all seemed to cluster around the same space, making it too easy.

Regarding points 1 and 3, I thought that meant that indeed, if it bumped into the player it triggered the event, but it doesn't all the time, seems like the player has to catch it instead whenever I've tested this.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Does the move route turn on direction fix? Whoever instigates the contact must be facing the object it's contacting, so if your events have direction fix on because each row of flames is a different colour, they will only trigger if they approach the player from a single direction.

If this is the case, you are better off making a single spritesheet with all rows having exactly the same sprites, and don't turn on direction fix.

SongQueenSaeryen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
2021-10-12.pngEvent that moves the flames.

Direction fix is not on, the sprites I'm using are from the premade "!Flame" set, which includes different sprites but the ones I'm using have four rows, three columns (one set) of this blue flame.
2021-10-12 (1).png
For reference

Shiro-chan

Friendly Neighbourhood Neppy Maid
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why is your movement thing in an Autorun instead of a separate Parallel Process page? Also, you can just use random movement in the actual events.

SongQueenSaeryen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Why is your movement thing in an Autorun instead of a separate Parallel Process page? Also, you can just use random movement in the actual events.
That event starts the minigame. I don't want the flames to move until a certain time.

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The event looks fine, and so does the character sheet.
Could you also show a screenshot of one of your flame events?

Can you see a pattern to when it works and when it doesn't work?
- is there any flame that always works, or never works?
- when they don't work, are they hitting the player from any particular direction?
- are all your flame events EXACTLY the same (trigger, priority, etc)?

Roninator2

Gamer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shaz the first image is the flame event.
I learned something (not sure if it's part of the problem here but), setting move routes to repeat does not require the event that started it to exist.
@SongQueenSaeryen normally people will put move routes in the events itself (autonomous movement - custom) and just set a switch on to start their movement. But good on you for showing me something.

I set up a test and changed a line in Game_CharacterBase
Ruby:
class Game_CharacterBase
  def move_straight(d, turn_ok = true)
    @move_succeed = passable?(@x, @y, d)
    if @move_succeed
      set_direction(d)
      @x = $game_map.round_x_with_direction(@x, d)
      @y = $game_map.round_y_with_direction(@y, d)
      @real_x = $game_map.x_with_direction(@x, reverse_dir(d))
      @real_y = $game_map.y_with_direction(@y, reverse_dir(d))
      increase_steps
    elsif turn_ok
      set_direction(d)
#~       check_event_trigger_touch_front
    end
      check_event_trigger_touch_front
  end
end
It worked as expected then.

Last edited:

SongQueenSaeryen

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Shaz the first image is the flame event.
I learned something (not sure if it's part of the problem here but), setting move routes to repeat does not require the event that started it to exist.
@SongQueenSaeryen normally people will put move routes in the events itself (autonomous movement - custom) and just set a switch on to start their movement. But good on you for showing me something.

I set up a test and changed a line in Game_CharacterBase
Ruby:
class Game_CharacterBase
  def move_straight(d, turn_ok = true)
    @move_succeed = passable?(@x, @y, d)
    if @move_succeed
      set_direction(d)
      @x = $game_map.round_x_with_direction(@x, d)
      @y = $game_map.round_y_with_direction(@y, d)
      @real_x = $game_map.x_with_direction(@x, reverse_dir(d))
      @real_y = $game_map.y_with_direction(@y, reverse_dir(d))
      increase_steps
    elsif turn_ok
      set_direction(d)
#~       check_event_trigger_touch_front
    end
      check_event_trigger_touch_front
  end
end
It worked as expected then.
That code worked, thank you! And I think it will help with some other obstacles in my game too (it's more adventure than RPG)

And thanks to everyone else who posted for helping

Shaz

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Spend $5,000 on a new gaming PC. Didn't expect it to be like 1 foot wide, 2 feet tall, and weigh like 100+ pounds. The heck did I get myself into?
If you are a fan of TRPGs like Fire Emblem, take a moment to help me by filling out this:

Camping inside a hidden cave.
LzSHByh.jpg
I don’t believe in astrology. I’m a Sagittarius and we’re skeptical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HiKKIkMori