RMMV Event triggered when a follower steps on it

Neikoku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Using MV. I need a follower's sprite to change as soon as he steps on a certain tile, and it would only be triggered by followers, not the player. It doesn't matter whether it's triggered by all or just a certain follower. I was trying HimeWorks' Follower Event Touch, but it doesn't work this way. Wondering if someone was able to write a plugin that does this, or extend the existing plugin to accommodate this? :LZSproud:

(What I'd use it for: trying to make a follower change to a walking-in-water sprite as soon as he steps in a river, because the setup I have now requires him to take another step in the river to change the sprite, and he still has the land-sprite on his first step in the water... and vice versa for when returning to land. But for some reason the player changes sprite instantly like I want. I have two followers and the second one is flying, so she doesn't need her sprite changed, only the first one.)

Dev_With_Coffee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
PT-BR
Primarily Uses
RM2k3
Sorry for the question, but it looks like the same request as this:

Neikoku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Sorry for the question, but it looks like the same request as this:
I'm still struggling with that same problem yes. The only solution I could think of was this, and someone suggested making a new plugin for it but I can't code so I thought I'd try my luck on the plugin request forum because idk what else to do.

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it's related to a footsteps problem when in the water and checking for
follower when they step on it, there is a nice plugin (paid), but there might
be free once as well if it has a similair effect.

if this is for a random event trigger to be triggered by a follower, you can
use the scriptcall in a conditional branch used on the follower walking in water.

Neikoku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
if it's related to a footsteps problem when in the water and checking for
follower when they step on it, there is a nice plugin (paid), but there might
be free once as well if it has a similair effect.

if this is for a random event trigger to be triggered by a follower, you can
use the scriptcall in a conditional branch used on the follower walking in water.
Well atm I have this common event that changes the follower's sprite when he steps on a Region ID 2 which is the river:
1621449937721.png

Which plugin are you talking about?
And what script would that be, how would it be set up?
Any way to make it work would be fine with me. I just can't code for myself :kaoswt:

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that code is basic, but if you have 4 members, you need to check each
follower in order to make it work.

the one I use is TSR_Footsteps, but placed behind paid wall, but it's has
unique features others doesn't.

you can place region for water, sand, bush etc, and assign them each with
their own sprite, even the same and adjust teh hue to it.

works for animals, assign if they are big or small, so the size increase too.

However, there is a free once as well, but I cannot say if followers which is either
MOG_Footsteps or the other one I forgot its same, which has followers I think.

cannot say for sure, but TSR because it works with the YEP library,
but also for the reason you have a bit more control over it.

you can event it, but you need more code than just those unless you have
1 follower?

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Using MV. I need a follower's sprite to change as soon as he steps on a certain tile, and it would only be triggered by followers, not the player. It doesn't matter whether it's triggered by all or just a certain follower. I was trying HimeWorks' Follower Event Touch, but it doesn't work this way. Wondering if someone was able to write a plugin that does this, or extend the existing plugin to accommodate this? :LZSproud:

(What I'd use it for: trying to make a follower change to a walking-in-water sprite as soon as he steps in a river, because the setup I have now requires him to take another step in the river to change the sprite, and he still has the land-sprite on his first step in the water... and vice versa for when returning to land. But for some reason the player changes sprite instantly like I want. I have two followers and the second one is flying, so she doesn't need her sprite changed, only the first one.)

A very rough setup but you can see how this works for your needs...
I can honestly say I didn't test it much at all...
Well let me know how it goes... hope it works at least for what you need

CTB_FollowerStep.js - Click Here to Download

Setup an actor notetag exactly like this:
<AltCharacter:RegionID:ImageFileName,CharacterIndex>

Example:
<AltCharacter:8:Actor1,6>
1621473199865.png

...Hope that makes sense to ya.

Attachments

• CTB_FollowerStep.js
    3.2 KB · Views: 3

Neikoku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ct_bolt Thanks so much for doing this!! However when I open the game and start moving (not even in the water which is id 2, but on id 1 land. Also the follower wasn't in the party yet), it crashes saying "Cannot read property '_actorId' of undefined". I do still have the Actor1 default sprite sheet where it should be, which I was trying to test this with. Here's how I put it:
1621626325528.png

@ShadowDragon Ah I didn't mean foot prints, but like a swimming sprite where the character's legs are covered in water when they walk in the river, so it doesn't look like they're floating.

Last edited:

Neikoku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was trying to edit my post but apparently clicked reply instead and can't delete this post... Sorry for the double

ShadowDragon

Realist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the best way is to change sprites normal and 1 with the head only with
water rimples around it, then you check on the correct way the follower
of the party 0 (leader), 1 for follower 2, etc.

there was a swimming plugin, but not sure if it has followers included for
the check. but it changes sprites, let me look it up.

EDIT: here is the plugin [Hirion_swim] its the main forum post, core is required though.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ct_bolt Thanks so much for doing this!! However when I open the game and start moving (not even in the water which is id 2, but on id 1 land. Also the follower wasn't in the party yet), it crashes saying "Cannot read property '_actorId' of undefined". I do still have the Actor1 default sprite sheet where it should be, which I was trying to test this with. Here's how I put it:

Oh woops lol... fixed now (v0.11 - Bugfix): Click Here to Download

Attachments

• CTB_FollowerStep.js
    3.3 KB · Views: 5

Neikoku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ct_bolt Now it doesn't crash, but the sprite doesn't change. It flashes briefly every time he takes a step in the river, like it's trying to change, but doesn't. It flashes as soon as he steps in it, so we're on the right track!! I believe this would make it change instantly and fix my problem, if it worked.

@ShadowDragon It says it doesn't work on followers. Thanks anyway :LZSproud:

Last edited:

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ct_bolt Now it doesn't crash, but the sprite doesn't change. It flashes briefly every time he takes a step in the river, like it's trying to change, but doesn't. It flashes as soon as he steps in it, so we're on the right track!! I believe this would make it change instantly and fix my problem, if it worked.
Hmm... that is quite odd... it works exactly as needed for me...

Are you using other plugins that could cause issues?
If so.. I could patch it probably

Neikoku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ct_bolt I did some testing, found out it doesn't work with VE diagonal movement. The sprite becomes invisible when it's meant to change into the water sprite. It happens with both a sprite sheet that has diagonal sprites, and a default sheet without them. I'm not sure if the issue is in that plugin in particular or diagonal movement in general, I'd like to know if you patch it, which would be awesome :LZSproud:

As for the issue I was describing earlier, I realized it was because I had accidentally left something in a common event that I was trying to test things with earlier, whoops.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ct_bolt I did some testing, found out it doesn't work with VE diagonal movement. The sprite becomes invisible when it's meant to change into the water sprite. It happens with both a sprite sheet that has diagonal sprites, and a default sheet without them. I'm not sure if the issue is in that plugin in particular or diagonal movement in general, I'd like to know if you patch it, which would be awesome :LZSproud:

As for the issue I was describing earlier, I realized it was because I had accidentally left something in a common event that I was trying to test things with earlier, whoops.
Okay good to know :popcorn:
I can look into a patch to make it work with VE diagonal movement :)

Neikoku

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@ct_bolt I had to switch to Galv's Diagonal Movement because only it had a feature I needed, and turns out your plugin works with it, so no patching needed! Thank you so much!! :LZSproud: I'll make sure to add you in the credits.

ct_bolt

Creator
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Javascript
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@ct_bolt I had to switch to Galv's Diagonal Movement because only it had a feature I needed, and turns out your plugin works with it, so no patching needed! Thank you so much!! :LZSproud: I'll make sure to add you in the credits.
Oh that's wonderful to hear! :cutesmile: Super pleased to hear all is working smoothly for ya
Thanks for letting me know :)

No prob. Glad to help out :)
and thanks for adding me in the credits too :cutesmile:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

The thing I don't like about VRMMORPG anime is that they're unrealistic. I mean, we know we have a lot of ping issues, latency, and desync. Would be funny if you shoot a player and they immediately teleport somewhere because "ha, your internet suck!".
I've decided to try and be more social and less nervous about engaging. I'm always over thinking things - from now on when I'm worried or don't get something I'll just ask.
Sometimes a mechanic that is meant to add challenge is just annoying. Even the Final Fantasy games did not completely escape this pitfall of design. (FF8 draw system I'm looking at you - grrrr)
starting working on the sprites for one of my games major antagonists finally. here's the first frame of his chanting motion in battle.
Have spent too much time hammering out with a friend just how to make a reoccurring enemy that permanently learns skills you use against her.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Laclos