Event triggering another event and message box help

Discussion in 'RPG Maker VX Ace' started by Wrath-Of-The-Chicken, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Wrath-Of-The-Chicken

Wrath-Of-The-Chicken Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I apologize if this was already answered or even on the wrong topic haha. I'm new to this. But I have looked around and can't seem to find the answer to my problem.

These are the two things I need help with right now:

• Event triggering another event
    • Change the look of the message box

Event help:

I want an event to trigger a switch on another event. I have tried so many different things and can't seem to get it. Nor am I able to find a tutorial on what I need.

Here is a screen shot of my game for an example of what I want to do:

[​IMG]  

Now with this, I want to talk to the shop keeper (Kinoko) and depending on the choice I make, it will trigger the expression of the purple glob on the counter (have not named said glob yet haha).

Here is a screenshot of the choices:

[​IMG]

Now when I choose the final choice, "The hell is that purple glob?", I want the glob's face to become shocked like he is insulted with my comment. And then go back to normal and him just being his globby self. I want to use him as a character to just show different expressions throughout the game when things are said. Like say someone is yelling at someone else, or someone insults someone else, his expression will change from across the room. I love the idea and I can't seem to figure it out! I also want this to be able to work if I were to also talk to Kinoko from the side instead of over the counter.

Message Box Help:

I also can't seem to find a way to change the way the message box looks. I am aware there may be a script for it, but I can't seem to find it haha. Here is a screenshot of an example as to what I am talking about. (this screen shot is NOT mine. This is just an image I pulled from google. Game looks rad though.)

[​IMG]

I want the picture to be placed as shown above instead of the default way where it's just a small picture inside the message box.

If anyone can help me, that would be great!! Please link me a video or post screen shots on how to go about doing these things, for I am a visual learner. A video would be the best if it is possible.

Thank you so much for helping!

(P.S. I do not own any content in the screenshots for my game. My sprite is generated for now, but I will make one later. Credit goes to those who created the wonderful tilesets. I don't feel like typing everyone out right now, but those people will receive respected credit in the credits of my game.)

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2015
  2. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    1) there is no event-to-event trigger by default.

You either have to use a parallel process using control variables to compare positions, or add a script for advanced event triggers.

2) Busts can either be used by a show picture before a show message without a face, or again you can use a bust script, perhaps combined with a messaging script.

If you're tryin gthe script route, follow the link "how to use a script" in my signature, it also includes a link to the master script list.

And please change the title of the topic to something meaningful, everyone posting here needs help

3. Kalin

Kalin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For the blob, the event commands "Show Balloon Icon" and "Set Move Route: Change Graphic" can be told to affect a different event on the map.

4. Robert-Character Creator

Robert-Character Creator Waiting for Replies Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Ignoring the title for now, I made a couple pictures to help you out. This is for if you want to use switches to turn on the event. You want to set a switch in the left hand corner to turn on the event, and have another event to turn it on. I'll use a classic monster-lever combo as my example.

1.) Start with a room, and choose where you want the events to be.

Event Help.png

2.) Next, set up your cheesy monster-that-jumps-out-and-goes-boo, and place him where you want. Notice that in the corner, the switch 'Chase' is chosen. The monster can't attack you unless the switch is turned on.

Event Help Rawr.png

3.) Lastly, you should set up your Schmuck Bait. This can be a lever, a shiny Macguffin, a cute kitten, or even another monster if you're daring. When you use it, let it turn on the 'Chase' switch, and TA-DA! You're dead!

Event Help 2.png

In your case, you want to have a move route event on a parallel process, so that when 'chase' (you could change it to 'face' in this case) is activated, it will change the slime's expression, like this.

Event Help Slime.png

Hope I could help!

5. Wrath-Of-The-Chicken

First Language:
    English
    Thank you guys for the help. I will try this. And I apologize about the topic title. I'm new to the way forums work and such so please forgive me. I also don't know how to change the topic title. If there is a way, let me know and I will do so. And Parallel Process is so confusing to me. I just started using this software last week, so I'm still new to everything.

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've answered you via PM :)

Parallel process is just a trigger. An event you have set to parallel process will keep looping - every time it reaches the last command, it'll start from the top again. Autorun events do the same, but they also stop the player from moving and prevent menu access as well. If you don't want them to repeatedly loop while you're on that map, you need to turn them off somehow. If you want them to run each time you come to the map, you turn them off by using Erase Event (which just removes them temporarily, but they're loaded again when you leave the map and return); if you only want them to run once throughout the whole game, you need to use a switch or self switch to make a new page active so the parallel/autorun page will stop.

7. Sinweaver

Sinweaver Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Just took 2 mins to make a quick sample

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Robert-Character Creator

Robert-Character Creator Waiting for Replies Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Impressive. I was too lazy to create the entire scenario, haha.

Anyway, back to your second question, you can do two things to change the look of the message box. You see my icon? You can take one of those,( I'm not sure of their precise name...) and import it into the game using the resource manager. Press F10 to open it up easily. You want to import it into the tab named 'Graphics\System', and the game does the rest. You can also change the color of the box by going into your Database. It's up near the play button, and it is your Holy Trinity. Go to the tab named 'System', it's near the end next to 'Terms'. There, you can  double-click the big colorful box, and set it as whatever color you want.

Hope this solves your second problem.

9. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    To add to what Robert said, you could also use background pictures/graphics for windows. You'll need to resize a pic to the exact size of the window, and use show pic command, and be precise about its placement, plus you need to use wait when removing such, but it works great, and is definitely worth the effort.

Text is always written in the foreground, while the show picture command, places pictures in the background, so you don't need to worry about that.

10. Wrath-Of-The-Chicken

First Language:
    English
    I figured out how to do the message box last night. But thank you guys so much for helping!