Event - Which NPC (event) is talked to first changes the other.

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Protag, Jun 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Protag

Protag Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello,

Okay so I hope the title makes sense. I have two NPCs (events). They are a husband and wife. I want their reaction to change for the player depending on who was interacted with first. For example, whoever is interacted with first, introduces themselves, the second says their own random dialogue. I know this involves switches and self switches (at least I believe it does) I could just be missing something obvious but any help would be appreciated.

What I've tried first is having 3 event pages each. First event page is introduction, turn on Switch 1, Self switch a. Switch 1 changes to event page 2 of the other NPC/Event while Switch a changes to event page two from the first page. Event page 2 is random dialogue, self switch to event page 3, more random dialogue. I hope that makes sense. I'm sure I'm missing the obvious, but any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. Rubescen

Rubescen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It sounds like you're on the right track from your description, although a screenshot would be easier to tell.

In anycase, you should do something like this for each event:
    upload_2019-6-1_11-17-30.png

3. Protag

Protag Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hello Rubescen,

Thank you very much, that worked perfectly. I was going to add a screenshot but I tried your method first. I added an extra event page though for an additional response and still works fine. It may seem stupid but I think my problem was thinking I'd need two switches instead of one. I had two switches, one for if the husband was first and one for the wife, which seems stupid in hindsight. Thanks again, I appreciate the help.

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Protag your original error was using self-switches.

Self-switches only affect the event itself - that is where the name comes from. That means changing self-switch on one event will NOT change the same self-switch on another event. That is very important in several cases, but it also means that self-switches cannot be used to coordinate different events. For that you'll need the regular switches.

5. Rubescen

Rubescen Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Glad it helped. And yes, just one switch is the base, but adding Self Switches can add dynamics. Keep it up!

6. Protag

Protag Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi Andar,

Thank you, I appreciate the information but I just wanted to say I wasn't using self switches to try and effect the other event, I was just using self switches in the events themselves, not trying to change one from the other. Thank you though.

7. Protag

Protag Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Thank you again.

8. mlogan

mlogan Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.