Event works when it wants...

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Gabrelik, May 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Gabrelik

Gabrelik Almighty Maker of Sandwiches Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi!

Has anyone else had the problem where their event will work sometimes, and then others it does its own thing?

I'll post some screen shots if necessary, but essentially, I have an event that brings another character into the room. Sometimes he comes in exactly like he is supposed to, and then other times the event seems to skip a few steps and my little guy ends up appearing in the wrong place. I would think that this is an issue I'm having with my timing and sequencing, but why would it work sometimes and not others?

Thanks!

2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This is in the wrong forum - it needs to go into the appropriate Support forum for the engine you are using.  However, since you haven't included tags with the engine version, you don't have it listed in your profile, and you don't mention it anywhere at all in your post, I have no idea which one to move it into.  Please let us know what engine you're using so the thread can be moved to the correct area.  Tech Support is for when you have trouble getting the engine itself to run.

We need to see the event. Please post a screenshot, showing the full event window, and if you have several tabs or several events, include them all so we can get the whole story.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2016
  3. Alistair

Alistair Treasure Hunter Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    This will definitely require screenshots in order to spot eventing problems/mistakes.

4. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Understood. The first image is my map. The guy on the far right (Event 6) is set transparent by the event at the bottom (Event 7). The bag of gold at the foot of the bed give the player an choice of whether or not to take it. If they choose yes, that event turns on a switch called "Mercenary" that sets that same bottom event to turn off the transparency of Event 6, as well as initiate his appearance into the room. It is this particular point that everything may or may not function as it should. Sometimes the event goes off without a hitch and works flawlessly. Other times, however, Event 6 appears prematurely, precisely where he stands in the beginning, and continues his actions from there.

The battle and everything that comes after works without issues each time. It is only this first part. I have experienced this issue before, but can never recreate the problem often enough to find the cause. I thought maybe it was "rushing the command" (rapidly clicking enter) or perhaps a timing problem requiring a "wait" command somewhere?

Screenshot 2016-05-23 18.59.44.png

Screenshot 2016-05-23 19.07.24.png

Screenshot 2016-05-23 19.07.35.png

Screenshot 2016-05-23 19.08.08.png

5. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I've moved this thread to MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

The parallel process event is useless.  Tab 2 is conditioned by self switch A, which will be turned on the moment you enter the map, and switch 24, which is turned on AFTER the event moves left 2 spaces.  Just set tab 1 of the NPC event to be conditioned by switch 24, which will make it invisible until that switch is turned on.

The parallel process event should only have a single page, conditioned by the Mercenary Defeat switch, with the command to set the event location, followed by an Erase Event command - otherwise it's constantly running.

I'm not sure why you have that first movement route to move it left two tiles, when it's invisible.  Just use the Set Event Location to move it where you want it to appear, and then turn on the switch.  Speed and Through are things you can set on the event itself - you don't need to adjust them in the move route.

The screenshots above do not identify what is causing your problem.  What else is conditioned by switch 24?  What is on pages 2 and 3 of event 3?  I did ask you to show ALL pages of the event (and I also asked you what engine you were using, but you didn't answer that either).

6. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    You can do this a lot easier the following way:

Put an event where the mercenary is supposed to appear, and it is set to appear only when the switch is ON. The mercenary should be set to same as player, action button.

In the event you grab the gold, turn on the switch, and put all the move route logic and stuff in there. Once it is over, turn OFF the switch.

As it is, what is going on is you have a parallel process that is continually trying to put an event in one location, and that is probably what is throwing things off. Remember that parallel processes run all the time. This is also why we recommend avoiding them when possible, as that running all the time will cause lag in the game very quickly.

7. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Very odd. I'm looking back at your post now and didn't see all of that the first time around. Would definitely have given you all of that information had I noticed that.

I'll try adjusting the things you mentioned and see if that makes a difference. I've only been using the maker for a year or so, and still learning the most efficient ways to go about things.  If I found a way that worked before, while clumsily stumbling through the early eventing process, I didn't likely try to go back and try to streamline it. 

Also, I didn't include the other pages because they cover actions that take place after the problem, and they don't have any issues. I'll include them in the next post, however, if it will help.  I appreciate the advice. I'll implement this and get back to you. Thanks for the help!

Update: @Shaz Thanks! The advice worked perfectly. I have implemented all you suggested and the system is far more efficient.  So far, I have not seen the issue I was having before, regardless of repeat attempts to replicate the problem. I appreciate the help again, everybody, and will be more diligent in the future about where I post.

8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It's very strange, as I don't think any of the things I said would have any effect on the problem you were experiencing.  I initially wondered if it might have been that initial movement route, wait, and turning on the switch, but discounted that because the movement route is set to wait for completion.

I also wondered if it might have been the Set Event Location, but I suspect that switch SHOULD only be turned on after the battle and not before.  It COULD be a problem if you're also using that switch in a plugin and haven't catered for that, so it's being used for two completely different things.  That's a common issue, but it's usually with the lower-numbered switches. 

If it happens again, by all means post the rest of those screenshots and we'll see if we can track it down.

9. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Will do, and thanks. I'm thinking maybe it was having the parallel process constantly running? Mighy have been throwing everything off. Hopefully the Erase Event will take care of it.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    no, because by the time he appeared, the parallel process would simply have been turning off transparency repeatedly - unless that Mercenary Defeat switch was turned on.  In that case it would have repeatedly moved him to that position, which is a different problem to what you described.

11. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Not sure. I can say I have this problem in other places, but always where I'm moving between transparencies. I'm going to apply your suggestions to those other events and see if it yields similar results. Not sure why it works, but so far so good. I've run this one fifteen times through and haven't had a repeat.

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Gabrelik I suggest you follow the link "bughunting" in my signature.

It sounds as if you have timing problems - which usually are caused by too many parallels and one of the reasons we always try to reduce the number of parallels (especially parallels that set move routes, which are basically additional parallels) on a map.

That tutorial explains the background what happens with timing problems and should help you solve them (among other possible bugs)

13. Gabrelik

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @Andar I will definitely check that out. Thanks!