Evented Home-Cooking Skill

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV Tutorials' started by BottleCapGames, Aug 29, 2017.

1. BottleCapGames

BottleCapGames Eventing Overlord Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Home Cooking Skill Tutorial: by BottleCapGames

Today we will be making a Home-Cooking Skill inspired by Miitopia (a strange RPG) through common events. In the Home Cooking skill, the user will randomly cook a food item and have it added to their inventory depending on their level and RNG. It may seem complicated, but it's easy once you get the hang of it.

REQUIRMENTS: You will only need RPG Maker MV to do this.

Difficulty: Medium (Note: Patience is definitely a value here.)

EDIT: PLEASE READ!: This tutorial has been changed. There was a problem with the math before, so if you already read the tutorial please read it again as I changed my math... Sorry... :kaoswt:

Now let's get started!

ITEMS
    First of all, you will need the items the user might cook up. For the sake of the tutorial, I have only made 5, though you can make as many as you would like (or add existing items).

huuuuhhh.png

Make sure that Consumable is set to yes, and Occasion is set to Always.
    Now to make the skill! (Note: Use more than 5 items in your skill. It just helps the skill become complete. I did it so didn't have to spend to much time on it, so don't do what I did.)

SKILL
    Now, this may seem long and complicated, but it's simple once you get the hang of it. It's just a lot of conditional branches. STEP 1: Make a new common event. STEP 2: Create a variable named 'Food Level'. This variable should be set to the level of the user. For example, if Harold was the user of this skill, this Food Level variable would be set to Harold's level. Screenshot (9).png

Food Level is used so the player gets better items the higher the level the user is. STEP 3: Make a conditional branch checking if Food Level is more than or equal to 5. (Note: This would mean Harold is Level 5 or higher. Also, you would want to put a higher level than 5, as the first level is the highest level this skill will go.) STEP 4: Create a new variable called 'Food Chance' and set it on Random. (Note: Depending on how many items you want to have at that level, the random numbers will be different. If you only want 3 items available at Level 5, set it to random between 1 to 3. Same goes for 5 items, set it to random between 1 to 5.)
    STEP 5: Set a conditional branch checking if Food Chance is set to 1. If so, add a Change Items command and add 1 of your first item. Rinse and repeat Step 5 for every random number adding a different item. When you are done, it should look like this.

Screenshot (11).png

Under the Else of the very first conditional branch is where you put all the stuff if Harold was Level 1 or higher (Or the next level under our max level. ). Finally, create a new skill, call it Home Cooking, have the scope set to none, occasion set to Always, and under effects tie it to our Home-Cooking common event. Now give it to an actor, and now we're done!

OVERVIEW
    We have now finished our Home-Cooking Skill! If this skill does not work with your game, please leave a description of the problem and I will try to help the best I can. If there is a error in my tutorial, please tell me so I can fix it.

And if you have any eventing tutorial requests, PM me your request and I will try to do it as fast as possible.

Thanks, and good luck! :kaohi:

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
  2. Eraine

Eraine Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Dutch
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Like the idea, but I do see a problem in your set up: if Harold Level is 2, 3, or 4, he won't be able to cook (because his level is not 1 anymore).
    If you change the first condition to "is 1 or more", he will be able to cook at those levels, BUT he will never be able to cook the level 5 things, because this is always true (because is your level is 5, it is also greater then 1, so the game will not process the "else" statement). So you'd have to first check for level 5, and the else statement should be the level 1 choices. That way it will work I think!

BottleCapGames likes this.
  3. BottleCapGames

BottleCapGames Eventing Overlord Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, you're right. If you really want it to be fleshed out, you could put choices for every level, but all that work for one skill? Nahhhh.

Last edited: Aug 30, 2017
    Eraine likes this.