Tutorial-Blog Eventing a Push/Pull System

Xelion

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Spanish
That's a pretty good way of donig it! When I did boulder puzzles in my 2000/2003 projects they only had a simple push mechanic and I remember just telling the player to exit and reenter the scene if they got stuck.

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
That's a pretty good way of donig it! When I did boulder puzzles in my 2000/2003 projects they only had a simple push mechanic and I remember just telling the player to exit and reenter the scene if they got stuck.
I've always included a reset button of some sort even with push only puzzles.

The method that @hiddenone used to do the pulling though is pretty spiffy. Definitely will be yoinking it myself in the future.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Having to reset puzzles over and over while testing is why I came up with the pulling part. :rswt After rolling a rock against a wall one too many times, I decided it would just be easier if I figured out a way to let players fix any mistakes they made without having to reset the entire puzzle.

Jennavieve

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This blog post was super helpful as a guideline. I would have had no idea how to even begin implementing a push/pull system if it wasn't for this. Thank you so much!

I used this post as a basis for understanding how a push/pull system should work but took out the scripting and used if/else clauses exclusively just because it was easier for me to wrap my head around.

Push-Pull.png

I also had no need for any of the direction fix calls so I left that out. For anybody else who struggles with scripts, this is also a functional option.

Last edited:

Frostorm

[]D[][]V[][]D aka "Staf00"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I wonder if I can make moving platforms w/ this method...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Just finished composing a boss battle theme!
Scripted a multi-variable weather system that randomizes wind speed, cloudiness, rain, fogginess, etc, while attempting to realistically account for interactions between them (e.g. wind speed affects fogginess, cloudiness affects rain, etc), the current weather pattern, and the player's biome e.g. swamp, beach, etc. Now I "just" have to tie visuals and sounds to the variables so stuff actually happens...
I'm having a headache balancing the combat using flat defense so I'm gonna use percentual armor, in this pic, Simon has 16 on Defense which means all the incoming damage will be reduced by 16% this will ease my burden a bit.
!Have a nice day everybody¡
SO glad they patched outer worlds for switch! I can finally play it! Weird that other peeps are still having issues. I know it was really chugging on my lite when it first came out.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anjing_gila