Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Also yes, I realized I mixed up days and today was supposed to be a Resource Spotlight. >_> I just realized that after finishing this up and posting it. So. Resource Spotlight on Tuesday, you get a tutorial today!

BrentBAM

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I always wanted to be able to make one of these!! Thanks for the tutorial.

cokes1999

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey! This tutorial is exactly what I need in my game. Right now I'm currently having some issues with it so if you could help me out I'd really appreciate it.

I am using PRG Maker MV for this.

Basically the issue is that the green goal bar is outside of the background bar and no matter what I do I can't seem to figure out what I did wrong. When I try playing the mini game as soon as I press enter it acts as if I hit the targeted goal when I did not.

My screen size is 1920 x 1056 by the way. Here is the event I have.

Also not sure if "if button is pressed down" makes any difference compared to " if button is triggered" ......... this is the only difference I can find between our events because I cannot find that option. The images are the same sizes as yours I just changed the design in aesprite.

Screenshot (57).pngScreenshot (58).pngScreenshot (59).pngScreenshot (60).pngScreenshot (61).pngScreenshot (62).png

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@cokes1999 The 'button is being triggered' option is new to MZ, but it shouldn't be causing any issues.

It's hard to tell since it's cut off in that screenshot, but two possibilities for why it's not working is that your variable 17 has the wrong equation so it's being set to 1 instead of the right number or you have a plugin/other event that is interfering with that variable. Try setting it with a direct designation instead of with variables and see if it appears where you want it then.

Mythmaker19

Teller of Tales
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
this is awesome! I can see this as a nice mini-game in a lot of games here. well done!

Last edited:

cokes1999

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cokes1999 The 'button is being triggered' option is new to MZ, but it shouldn't be causing any issues.

It's hard to tell since it's cut off in that screenshot, but two possibilities for why it's not working is that your variable 17 has the wrong equation so it's being set to 1 instead of the right number or you have a plugin/other event that is interfering with that variable. Try setting it with a direct designation instead of with variables and see if it appears where you want it then.
With direct designation I can place it where I want it to. The variables are there too ensure the goal is placed randomly in the background bar. What doesn't make sense to me is that I copied the equation for Variable #17 directly from the tutorial and the images I used are the same size so there shouldn't be an issue. Ideally I don't even need the goal bar to be placed randomly but just in the center. I'm not sure how I'd be able to check to see if enter is pressed when the pointer is in that designation. there has to be something wrong with the $gameVariables value I suppose which checks to see if the pointer is in the goal area.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I copied the equation for Variable #17 directly from the tutorial
@cokes1999 Oh, that's it! You copied the equation exactly, but forgot to change it to match the variables you're using for this event. Change the 24 and 25 in the equations to match the variables you're using (15 and 16) and you should be good to go. :)

cokes1999

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cokes1999 Oh, that's it! You copied the equation exactly, but forgot to change it to match the variables you're using for this event. Change the 24 and 25 in the equations to match the variables you're using (15 and 16) and you should be good to go. :)
Ah that was the issue. I also changed the (21) to (12) as I was using the wrong variable for that equation as well.

I'm only running into one more issue now - When I correctly press enter in the green goal area the success sound goes off but so does the failure sound. Rather than speeding up and continuing the mini game it triggers the else branch that says I haven't pressed enter in the goal area.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@cokes1999 I think what's happening is that you succeed at first, but because MV only has the 'is pressing' option for button clicks when the goal spot moves and you're still hitting the ok button the event thinks you've failed. So what you need is to put something in that will pause the event until you let go of the ok button.

Off the top of my head, slapping a loop that only stops once the button isn't being pressed into the event after the success SE should work. But I didn't test it so I'm not 100% positive it'll fix your issue.
button freedom.png

cokes1999

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cokes1999 I think what's happening is that you succeed at first, but because MV only has the 'is pressing' option for button clicks when the goal spot moves and you're still hitting the ok button the event thinks you've failed. So what you need is to put something in that will pause the event until you let go of the ok button.

Off the top of my head, slapping a loop that only stops once the button isn't being pressed into the event after the success SE should work. But I didn't test it so I'm not 100% positive it'll fix your issue.
View attachment 180986
I tried this plus the Wait Frame that caethyril suggested and now the pointer doesn't move at all :(

Here is the event if you can see any issues with it..... thank you so much for taking your time to help. This might sound stupid but I think there is gonna be a lot of buzz around this game that I'm making... I'd love to credit you for the help :)

Attachments

• Screenshot (63).png
    Screenshot (63).png
    499.9 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot (64).png
    Screenshot (64).png
    423.5 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot (65).png
    Screenshot (65).png
    448.8 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot (66).png
    Screenshot (66).png
    383.6 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot (67).png
    Screenshot (67).png
    384.2 KB · Views: 6

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@cokes1999 Hmm, it should've worked, I tested it out in my mz event and it seemed fine. The pointer should stay still until the 'ok' button is let go of, so it won't accidentally trigger again before the player is ready. Just to make sure, you put the loop with the added wait right after the success sound and it didn't work?
event ex.png

cokes1999

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@cokes1999 Hmm, it should've worked, I tested it out in my mz event and it seemed fine. The pointer should stay still until the 'ok' button is let go of, so it won't accidentally trigger again before the player is ready. Just to make sure, you put the loop with the added wait right after the success sound and it didn't work?
Ah, I must have read followed your instructions wrong. It works perfect now. Thank you so much for your help!!!!! :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

BGM playlist:

(It does not work with an open menu, as it affects events in parallel process)
sorry I've been quiet for like-- ever - A -) been dealing with constant family/personal issues. Got a wisdom tooth out today though! one less thing to deal with
Definetly a WIP but having fun with those desert tiles xD

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThatGuyWheels