Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
I was actually thinking about doing a puzzle like this in my stream game when she sent this one too me, so I might follow the tutorial on a stream at some point.

(her method is pretty close to how I would have done it, though I think she has a few more tricks that make it faster).

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
This is a puzzle type I have long tried to create (without success) as it has so many potential uses. I've therefore spent all day duplicating this and studying the scripts to learn how it works but I cannot get the passibility bit to work.
As long as the tiles are set to "below characters" they just keep sliding underneath each other. If changed to "same as characters" they work as intended except that you can never move the middle tile if that is the case. Everything else works beautifully but this has me pulling my hair out.

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Calamitous Magic It's hard to be sure about what is going wrong since I can't get my tiles to behave like that, so it could be an issue with a plugin or even something like a misplaced '.' . :rswt

I'm guessing your problem lies in the second conditional branch, so you could skip the script call and use the get location info command to check the spot (you'd just need to make sure the $gameMap.event(this.eventId()).x/y parts match the previous conditional branch's script call) and see if it is 0, meaning empty. You would need to remove the filler square though, since that would block all movement.
sliding tiles ex.png
Does that help? Otherwise I'd need to see screenshots to figure out what's going wrong.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
hiddenone,

Thanks, I've been messing about and I'm pretty sure the script call is actually working (I copied and pasted from your tutorial and have gone crosseyed making sure I did the changes for the directions without messing it up!). If I push Tile 6 down and then go under it to try to push it up again, it just goes left (and under Tile 8). I extrapolate from this that the script is working as it checks down, left, right then up. It decides that left is clear and moves, never getting around to "up".

You could be right about a plugin problem. I am doing this in a project where I mess around with various puzzle ideas etc and I only have the Visustella Core Engine and EventsCore running, but there might be something in there that I have missed. I used the EventsCore Region ID in another map to make an area impassable and I made sure there was no region clash with this event but there certainly may be something else going on.

I will start by turning those off and see what happens and, if it works, then I will have a rumage around and see if I can find the problem when they are on. If nothing else, this is challenging me to understand what is going on with scripting a bit more and I do learn these things best by working them through myself if possible (or at least having a good try at it before asking for help). It probably would have taken me a while to alight on the possibility of a plugin clash, though, so thanks for that - it will give me a good start. I'll also try your suggestion above if I have no luck there.

I will keep you posted if I find the problem and, if I can't, I will take screenshots and maybe you will be able to see what I've stuffed up! I'll have a good bash at it myself first though. Thanks again.

EDIT: Haha, well, that took all of two minutes! It was a clash with the Visustella Core Engine. There is a "Smart Event Collision" parameter that stops the events colliding with each other. I've taken a screen shot in case anyone else runs into this problem. Change the parameter to "Default" and it works like a dream!

Event collision.png

Last edited:

Touchfuzzy

Rantagonist
Staff member
Lead Eagle
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you are having a plugin conflict you could also cheese it and have a ring around the puzzle (using VS event on regionid) that changes the player to through and a ring right outside of that that turns through off.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
If you are having a plugin conflict you could also cheese it and have a ring around the puzzle (using VS event on regionid) that changes the player to through and a ring right outside of that that turns through off.
I've just added an edit to the above post to show that I found the problem.
And I have no idea what you just said! :guffaw:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
@Calamitous Magic I'm glad you were able to figure out the problem! :) I make these tutorials without any plugins so that people won't have to use any if they don't want to, but that means a plugin can sometimes cause unintended issues.

Calamitous Magic

Calamity
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Thank you for replying so quickly and putting me on the right track. It was a great tutorial and it makes sense that you would do it without plugins installed. Now that I (kind of!) understand how it all works I'm going to see what sort of things I can apply it to. Trying to figure out what was wrong made me really study the script to try to understand it and some of it has made its way into my wee brain, so all in all, a good learning experience. Thanks again.

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Screenshot-2021-05-02-at-15-07-54.png

Tivadar will help you travel to distant places in Eniko: Ghosts Of Grace

Finally done with the school project, here's the raw video of it. o_O :smile:
Can February March? No, but April May.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
harry30705