Eventing away from the program

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by GoodSelf, Aug 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. GoodSelf

GoodSelf Zhu Li! Do the thing! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    So, I have most of my ideas for cool systems to event when I'm not in front of RPG Maker.
    Does anyone else have this urge too? If so, what are some of the ways you "event away from the program".
    Normally, I find myself writing stuff like this:

Cntrl Var: Items, random, 1-10
    If Items = 1
      Add +1 Potion
    ELSE
    If Items =2
      Add +1 Ether

OR

Cntrl  Var: Randomizer, Random, 1-3

If Randomizer = 1
        Cntrl Var: 1.1, set to 1

Cntrl  Var: Randomizer, Random, 1-2

If Randomizer = 2

Cntrl Var: 1.2, set to 2

Cntrl Var: 1.3, set to 3

ELSE

Cntrl Var: 1.2 set to 3

Cntrl Var: 1.3 set to 2

ELSE

If Randomizer = 2
        Cntrl Var: 1.1, set to 2

etc, etc

Is there an easier way to do this? Perhaps an external eventing program? (I doubt it though)
    How do you work on your project when you're away from the maker?

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 20, 2016
  2. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    no, I don't "event" away from the program.  If I come up with ideas, I just write them down and spend time thinking about how to implement or improve them.  If it's a somewhat difficult system I might think of ways to do it and make some notes.  But it's only ever pseudocode.  I'd never start listing event commands on paper.

GoodSelf likes this.
  3. Isaac The Red

Isaac The Red RedMage Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    I've 'evented' away from my project, but usually its just shorthand notes and occasionally a diagram. nothing really resembling the eventer in RM. More of a flowchart really lol.

GoodSelf likes this.
  4. atasuke10

atasuke10 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I used to do it a lot, when I had an epiphany at work i literally noted down the exact process it should be executed as so I don't forget and implemented it at home xd

GoodSelf likes this.
  5. Wavelength

Wavelength Pre-Merge Boot Moderator

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I pretty much do what you do.  But I do it in my head.  It's a lot faster than writing everything down and the transition from mind to program when I get back to my computer comes pretty naturally after years of living and breathing RPG Maker.

6. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, pseudo code. It's the only way to program on a cardboard keyboard! If you have a text editor on your cell phone, you could do it there. I'm cheap though - I just carry a small notebook in my pocket and a pen. Helps if you're trying to pick up waitresses at during your lunch break too! :D

Just use whatever you've got - I've done this for years! it's the programmer in you that's making you do this, you know that right?

GoodSelf likes this.
  7. GoodSelf

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That tutorial is very useful! Thanks for taking the time to post it  :D

I swear by notebooks and pens - I carry them with me everywhere I go. Song lyrics, puzzle ideas, plot points, even trading card game ideas  :p  I fill up as much as I can.

I've only ever used the Event Editor in the RPG Maker games - I never dabled with any programming language. It's always been something I've been wanting to learn, I just haven't dedicated the time to it. There are so many other mediums I have yet to explore!

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 27, 2016
    consolcwby likes this.
  8. consolcwby

consolcwby (2015: afk...) 2018: BAK! :P Veteran

Somewhere the East Coast of the USA... i think...
    First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I don't want to de-rail this thread, but I have to say the Event Editor is just a scripting language. It has it's 'quirks' but they all do. You may be more ready for a taste than you know. Learning some Javascript would be useful for RMMV, wouldn't it? ;)

GoodSelf likes this.
  9. TheZage

TheZage Villager Member

First Language:
    Norwegian
    I only write the concepts down or simulate them in my mind in order to remember them. Too undisciplined to carry a notebook around. When it comes to other 'proper' programming, I would be a bit more meticulous when I record down my ideas though, as those sudden enlightenments are a lot more detailed. 

If you write pseudo code like that, learning script languages would be a piece of cake for you. Just jump in.

GoodSelf likes this.
  10. Isaac The Red

Isaac The Red RedMage Veteran

First Language:
    Gibberish
    The event editor lists down if you read it, read like most high levell scripting languages, and uses the same looping and branching structures. If you can read through an event, and understand all that it's doing, even when the event is getting complicated and does many different things, then you have the mind of someone who can actually code. Pickup a language [JavaScript and HTML5 recommended due to the nature of what we're working with here] and dip your food in! After a few tutorials, and mini projects, you might be surprised how fast you take to it. :3

GoodSelf likes this.
  11. GoodSelf

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
  12. TheZage

TheZage Villager Member

First Language:
    Norwegian

Not personally familiar with the site, so I cannot make a good judgement about that. And I'm guessing you are talking about JavaScript and not Java (don't see Java on that site). They are two different languages. 

If you want to learn JavaScript, you can use most of the free resources available to you. For starter stuff, you honestly don't need much and when you actually know a thing or two, you can make a decent judgement yourself.

Edit: Just realized that this post would be better suited as a PM, rather than a post. Sorry about that.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016
  13. Yappy Monoxide

Yappy Monoxide The Yappiest Yap Yapp you will ever Yap Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Oh no...not Khan Academy...

14. HexMozart88

HexMozart88 The Master of Random Garbage Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Khan Academy? I'm not familiar with it too much, but I normally use Codecademy. I know absolutely zero about JavaScript though. I'm more of a Ruby person. Back to the original question though. Yes, I get that urge constantly. Normally I just keep them in my head to get a clearer idea of how to pull it off.