Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ok so I have a map that has this door, first file. Upon accessing the door I want it to transition to the door open file (Second Pic).  My first attempt was to make two of the same map, one with the open door, one with the closed.  The problem I am having with this is I have treasure chests on the first map.  I can't for the life of me find a way to make the chests remain open on the second map if I use two maps.  The problem is, if the chest is opened on map 1, then on map two the chest should still be open, but I can't use variables with a conditional branch because treasure chests use the Action Button. I also can't overlap an open and closed image of a treasure chest that shows based off a variable because I can't overlap the events.  I am sure there is some simple way to do it that I can't think of.  Does anyone have any ideas.

If my question is hard to understand just let me know and I'll try to explain it differenty.

Door Closed.png

door.png

LadyBaskerville

Hell-poodle
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Maybe I'm not understanding it right, but wouln't it be easier to only have one map and use an event for ther door graphic? Then you could have two event pages - first page: door closed, second page with condition Self Switch A: door open - and turn on Self Switch A when the player opens the door. You would only need to format the door graphic correctly so you can use it as a character graphic for the event. 

Milennin

"With a bang and a boom!"
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
-Remove the graphic on the Map, and select the same graphic for the stone in the event instead.

-Add a new page to the door event under Condition Self Switch A. Select the open door graphic for that one.

-Back on the first page of the event, add event command to Control Self Switch, and set it to A. Also, make sure your event is triggered by the Action Button and is on the Same priority as the character.

-Your door should now work without the need of creating 2 maps of the same thing.

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
This particular graphic doesn't fit that way.  Atleast not that I'm aware of. It's from a tile, so if I was just to use an event image, the whole graphic wouldn't fit. I posted below what I mean.

door tile.png

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you can use several events linked by a general switch to change all events at the same time when that switch is turned.

Because using two maps instead of events is something with a lot of disadvantages, especially if you would need other switches to keep events on those maps (like the chest) identical

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
you can use several events linked by a general switch to change all events at the same time when that switch is turned.

Because using two maps instead of events is something with a lot of disadvantages, especially if you would need other switches to keep events on those maps (like the chest) identical

I'm not sure how you mean to do that.  What events would I be using on the single map to change the map graphic to look like the open door?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you use six events (from the look of the tiles you'll need six, but could be nine).

Each event will have two pages, with the first page using the tile that is part of the closed door, the second page using the tile that is part of the open door. One event for top left, one for top middle, one for top right, one for bottom left and so on.

All second pages to be conditioned on a single switch named "door open".

As soon as you switch on that switch, all six parts of the door will change to open - and the middle bottom event should contain the transfer code for moving the party.

Last edited by a moderator:

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Maybe I'm not understanding it right, but wouln't it be easier to only have one map and use an event for ther door graphic? Then you could have two event pages - first page: door closed, second page with condition Self Switch A: door open - and turn on Self Switch A when the player opens the door. You would only need to format the door graphic correctly so you can use it as a character graphic for the event. 

how does one go about formatting this graphic to fit the whole thing on the map?  If that could be done to get the affect I am looking for.

Zonen

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
you use six events (from the look of the tiles you'll need six, but could be nine).

Each event will have two pages, with the first page using the tile that is part of the closed door, the second page using the tile that is part of the open door. One event for top left, one for top middle, one for top right, one for bottom left and so on.

All second pages to be conditioned on a single switch named "door open".

As soon as you switch on that switch, all six parts of the door will change to open - and the middle bottom event should contain the transfer code for moving the party.

ahh brilliant I think I understand what you mean. I'm gonna try that, thanks! didn't even think of that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Going live in 10 for Rise of the Third Power! Come and join me for ridiculous and inconsistent character voices, banter, the drinking of Irn Bru, the eating of cookies and wine gums, and possibly a dog! Twitch
holymothergames.png
Teen Rousalie! by @hyenakat
Having sweet eight hours dedicated ONLY to devving, so what do I do? :kaoswt:

SIX HOURS: Watch Resident Evil boss fight videos
TWO HOURS: Dev

All things come from God tho, sooo... procrastination = divine!:kaoluv: :biggrin: :biggrin:
I officially declare today "test play day." I'm going to waste the whole day playing video games, which isn't a shock to anybody, but hopefully today I'll play my own and figure out what still needs fixin's.
Empty Bottles and Health Extenders are now a thing.
Also the Sling-Shot does damage to enemies now, but not a lot and you won't get gold from killing them that way.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EpiAureum