Eventing Question

Karkess

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As the title states I have an eventing question.

Is there a way that is more efficient for controlling other sprites' movements than a series of switches? In the context of cutscenes sometimes you want characters to turn a certain way after something is said, or you want some movement occasionally through dialogue to prevent an unnatural static atmosphere to your cutscene. I'm a very new hobby-ist so I feel like there might be a way more efficient than using possibly a dozen switches in a sufficiently complex cutscene to add some life to your characters.

Like some command to control other sprites from a singular one that most of your event is scripted off of, or something. I think you could cut down on switches using the 'wait' command to give it a less rigid feeling to the overall feeling, but I still think that in some cases you could end up with more than 10+ switches to make a simple scene feel alive. Thank you for your time and consideration =)

Bex

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Try the Eventcommmand "Set Movement Route" it can control the Movement of the Player, or any Event you want on the current Map.

Karkess

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you! Despite using that to control the event and the player many times I don't know why it didn't click in my head it could control other events, despite scrolling passed the options many times. I feel a bit silly now, but thank you very much =)

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
There is a blog post showing how to use this method - it's called "Events Are Not NPCs".

In fact, the way you've been doing it - using switches and (I assume) autorun or parallel process on multiple events - is probably the worst way to do it, because of the timing requirements, different triggers, different events needing to be activated at different times - prone to issues and we get a lot of requests for help because someone's done this and messed something up.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Broke: Dont move. -boring. -passive. -uncreative. Woke: Bewegen Sie Nicht! +authoritative. +foreign. +reminds your son that he's a garden gnome now.
My girlfriend left a note on the fridge saying 'This isn't working, goodbye.' I opened the refrigerator and it works just fine. Weird.
BCj
Could someone translate something from Japanese to English for me?
You know, I sometimes ponder if working on the story and details is more necessary than the game itself. Its... technically work, just not direct.

Like for me specifically I never stop evolving the story based on what avenues I can approach in gameplay and then I get anxious thinking "hey good thing I thought about that now instead of later". Repeat ad nauseam.
World Of Final Fantasy Livestream~!
(Ft. Kaliga)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
qwertykillme