Events Animation Tutorial for Scenes

Yoraee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Hey everyone~! I posted this mini tutorial on my devlog on Tumblr and thought I might as well share it here!

In this tutorial, I will show you how I animate my scenes by manipulating Movement Route commands. This allows for original ways of portraying story and cutscenes in your game, especially if you are not using busts, or if your sprite size is big enough to allow for animations to be shown.

This tutorial is for RPG Maker MV, since that is the software I am using, however I believe the concept should be the same in other RPG makers.

I’m going to work on this gif. In particular we’ll look at Starsio’s animation (the green clad character)

First off, the scene animation relies on a particular set of commands, in the Set Movement Route page:

Second off, the animation frames for non-walking animations must be located on the first cell of every row in the sprite sheets.

Now, for Starsio, his animation is contained in three sprite sheets. I basically alternate between the Turn commands, Wait Command and Change Imageso as to show a continuous flow of frames. Like this:

This is how a sample code looks like, here you can see that between the Turn commands, I place Wait commands to pace the frames transitions, and then I Change Image to switch the sprite sheets.

Final Tip - In RPG Maker MV, when you use Change Image, the new sprite sheet starts at the same location the old sprite sheet stops, so if your sprite sheet is at the Turn Left cell, and you Change Image, the new sprite will be at the Turn Left cell as well. You will need to pay attention to this when planning your scene animations.

I hope this tutorial was helpful and gave you ideas on how to make your scenes in RPG Maker :) If you have questions about any specifics please let me know!

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hm, this is a neat fix. However... why not use the show image command with each successive frame of your animation instead? (This may be a trick question; I haven't played with the show image function enough to implement frame by frame yet.)

Yoraee

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
@Benevolentwanderer In my experience using show image, using so many in succession is not memory usage friendly in RPG Maker, but it might just be that my laptop is old. Also I find its easier to control priority with events than with images.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hey, that makes a lot of sense. From what I can tell, RPG Maker is a major memory hog...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Stream will be live shortly with some more Haunting Ground! Today, we encounter a new stalker! Feel free to drop by!
Tried the new Samsung Galaxy S20 Plus today. Very nice device overall, but flagship smartphone prices are getting completely out of control.
Sometimes I feel like I don't belong here. I feel like I have the exact opposite interests in storytelling as everyone else.
You know what really grinds my gears? Websites that block your access completely if you have an AdBlocker on...

I would rather skip the site than endure some popups that may give me a gnarly virus!
Guys this thread is so good and you should be reading it.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Louxie