Why can rabbits walk over poisonous grass?

• Because rabbits are too cute to die from it

Votes: 4 66.7%
  • Because their foot is lucky enough to do so

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No. Just no.

Votes: 2 33.3%

• Total voters

Alice's hat trick

Abraca....what was that again...?
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Cantonese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I will bless you and your loved ones if you solved this problem of mine!!

Here is my situation:
There is a rabbit and a bunch of poisonous grass.
They are all hostile to the player, the rabbit chases the player while the grass are tiles. They both must be set to "event touch" because the player loses HP when she touches these events.

However, I want the rabbit to be able to walk on the grass without interacting with it. The only way I know is to turn on "through" with one of the events, but that's not possible because than the events will not trigger by "event touch".

I have thought if an idea where I set the rabbit's priority into "Above" and the grass into "Below", and hope they can both share their space, but apparently it doesn't work!!! They still won't let each other through...:kaocry:

So I wonder if there is a plugin out there which enables events to pass through other events if set to different priority.
(I searched but no luck)

Or does this situation has another solution that I didn't know~:kaoswt2:

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the usual solution is to set the event to through and use other options (like a plugin for region restrictions) to still limit its other movement.

Or as an alternative, don't use events for the grass but set the tile to poisoning in the tileset and possibly use a plugin to add other effects or checkt to the poisoned tile instead of using an event to do the poison.
This might also be solved with a region-event plugin.

Alice's hat trick

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Cantonese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the usual solution is to set the event to through and use other options (like a plugin for region restrictions) to still limit its other movement.

I did came across this solution while searching the Internet, but that doesn't really work in my case, because setting "through" will make the event unable to touch the player.

Sorry that I haven't mentioned, the grass have animation (stepping) itself plus they decay and disappear overtime, new ones are then planted in other places of the map (throughout the boss fight with the rabbit). I think there might be hope for the poison tileset solution to work, but I can't seem to figure out how to fulfill the above criterias using tilesets rather than events.

However it may be, thankyou very much for helping me! <3

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Unfortunately you have one requirement too many for simple workarounds. The animation could be handled by A1-tiles, but not the decay and replacement in addition to the rest.

your only choices are between a very complex event controlling the rabbit (having it on through and checking all moves and positions in that event, including comparing event position and player position to replace the regular trigger) or requesting a plugin for the poison effect that rewrites a part of the engine.

However, a plugin writer would need a lot more details than what you've given so far - so if you want to go that route I suggest making a new post in the plugin request forum where you list everything you want in detail. And even then it will probably require some added discussion on how to do this.

Nathyn171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Can't you just put events over the edges of the poison? Then the rabbit won't be able to go into the poison. But maybe I'm missing something here...

Alice's hat trick

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Cantonese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just an FYI, if I remember correctly events being unable to pass through other events with "below characters" priority was a bug that was fixed in an earlier version of MV. It's possible that the Mac version hasn't had that fix yet.
Omg! I just came across a thread and read this reply! So does that mean an event can pass through another event when their priority is set correctly? So am I doing the priority thing wrong or is it because my RMMV is a bugged version?

Trihan

Speedy Scripter
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Omg! I just came across a thread and read this reply! So does that mean an event can pass through another event when their priority is set correctly? So am I doing the priority thing wrong or is it because my RMMV is a bugged version?

Events should be able to pass through other events if their priority is above or below and the other event is same level. If that isn't the case, you may have an outdated MV version.

Alice's hat trick

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Cantonese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am using RMMV version 1.5.
To minimize the possibility of issues caused by other things I have written in the game, I made a new project to test what you have just mentioned.
As the images below, I have set both events to "Below characters", but when I run the game EV002 still stops in front of EV001, and since it's autorun, the player is not allowed to move even after it stops as if EV001 is blocking it to complete its movement route.
In fact, I have even tried all 3x2=6 combinations of priorities of these two events but none of the cases would make the events passable for each other.
Am I missing something here?
*desperate face

mv1.jpg mv2.jpg mv3.jpg

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I am using RMMV version 1.5
But is the project version 1.5 as well?
Both project and editor need to be updated
you can check the project version by opening any core js file with a text editor and read the title line

Alice's hat trick

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Cantonese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
But is the project version 1.5 as well?
Both project and editor need to be updated
you can check the project version by opening any core js file with a text editor and read the title line
It's 1.5, because this is a new project I just opened today to test out what @Trihan just said. In any case, I checked the js files like you said and yup, it's 1.5 alright.

Nathyn171

Adept at ineptitude
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I was told once that no event can share the same tile with another event unless one of them has through on...

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

My Overworld might be a mix of inspiration from 2D Final Fantasy games, Breath of Fire, Battlechasers: Nightwar, Super Mario World, and Pillars of Eternity. If I can make it more in-depth than just walking from point A to point B, that might do a lot for the gameplay experience. Hmm...
Terribly depressed. Worst birthday I've had in years, no motivation to work on anything. Still no income. At least I've got my computer running again.
Doing RPG Maker News for 19th September 2021

Stream will be live with some Dark Souls 3, followed by a session of the Interactive Text Adventure! Feel free to drop by!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kamikun95