Events not working

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Zeryphim, Jan 7, 2017.

1. Zeryphim

Zeryphim Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    I recently began learning how to navigate and use the RPGMaker MV software and I am encountering an issue getting any events to work.

I began with simply creating a switch on the ground which would display text when the player stepped onto the spot it is at. Nothing happens at all when I step on the spot in the play test.

I have the switch set to display the test, play an applause audio and control is set to on, Fixed, below player, touch activated all as well.  Nothing occurs, so I believe that I am overlooking something and neither of the 2 tutorial I checked nor the book I have had forethought to include any trouble shooting to any possible issues. I was wondering if somebody could tell me if this is a common issue like a bug or something is just missing.

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I've moved this thread to RPGMaker MV Support. Please be sure to post your threads in the correct forum next time. Thank you.

Tech support is for getting the maker to run.

As for your question, something is missing, as I have no trouble with it. Can you post a screenshot of your event, so we can see what is going on? Be sure to include everything in the event, as well as everything on all pages of the event, if there are multiple pages.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  3. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    As said above, there are a lot of things where the event could go wrong, and you didn't tell us what you did to those settings. That is why we ask people for full screenshots, because in screenshots we can see even the settings where you do not know what they do and ignored them.

for example, you said "touch activated" - but which touch? player touch or event touch? there is a difference, and event touch will NOT work in your case.

Or do you have multiple pages? highest page takes priority, so an empty higher page will disable your function on page 1

Or several other things that might interfere and which you simply didn't even mention in your description...

EDIT: and as a new user, I suggest you follow the link to the starting point in my signature and work through the tutorials listed there.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2017
  4. Zeryphim

Zeryphim Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Here is the screen shot this is all it is. A button that should just say, You stepped on the button when walked over and play an applause sound. Just something small to see how a simple event works before moving on to something bigger. Now based on the example I am looking at in an ebook for mv, and 2 youtube tutorials, this should work. Yet when I test the game nothing happens. 

Desktop 01.07.2017 - 22.54.14.01.png

5. Peridot Gaming

Peridot Gaming Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    It won't run that page unless switch 0001 is ON.  What you need to do is remove the condition from this page, and if you want the event to not run again just add a second page with the switch 0001 condition on it.

bgillisp likes this.
  6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    When you say "nothing happens" do you mean the switch isn't event there, or it's there but it doesn't do anything when you walk on it?

If it's not even there, it's because you've conditioned it by switch 1.  If switch 1 isn't on, you won't even see it.  I think that's your problem, because in your event commands you're turning switch 1 on.  What I think you WANT to do is have two event pages.  The first has NO conditions.  The SECOND is conditioned by switch 1, and will have the sprite in the 'pressed' position.

Follow the link in Andar's signature to the beginner tutorials, and read up on multiple event pages, switches, and conditions.

7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Another problem is you have same as characters, player touch, which means you will have to bump into it to trigger it. You actually cannot step on anything that is same as players, as they will block your passage. If you are someone walking on it still, you have through on, and no events will work.

8. Zeryphim

Zeryphim Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    Ok, according to my book, and another tutorial that should work as shown in the screen shot. I worked out of a book where he just showed us a simple make the text appear, and aside from switch 001 being called doorway that is exactly as I was shown in an example and it worked for that person.
    Nothing is appearing at all, there is no icon that appears on the map, and no reaction when the location is stepped on.

If there is something here I am not seeing please show me in your screen shot examples. 

9. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Check it again. It will *never* show until you remove the condition for it to show with switch 01 on. That is because nothing is turning it on, so it will never be true, and it will never work. Try unchecking it, then see what happens.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    The first tab should not have any conditions specified above the sprite.  I think you may have gotten the two pages confused.

11. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Books and tutorials can be wrong - in fact I know some tutorials that are.

And it is a smple fact - if a condition is set, that condition needs to be true for the page to run. Think on it - why would a condition be there otherwise?

So the commands on that event page will only be processed if the switch 001 is ON - and it needs to be turned on somewhere else (making the control command on that event useless) because the control command itself cannot be processed while the switch is OFF.

So either your book is wrong, or you misread it - but it is the mistake you made and you need to remove the condition from the first page for it to work.

If you can link us to either the book or the tutorial we can check if that was wrong or if you read it wrong (if you want)