RoseStark

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Hi, I'm fairly new to RPG Maker and I am having trouble with 2 events that I want to create.

I want to create an event where the player can go to a lake and recover all. The problem is that I want to make only one event to the whole lake, not just to single tiles of the lake, otherwise he will always be recovering and receiving the recover all text.

The 2nd event I want to create is when the player tries to leave the town, if he hasn´t talked to 2 NPCs he won´t be allowed to leave to the world map. After he talks with both of them then he can leave.

I will be very gratefull if someone can explain me how to do this (preferably without scripts...I still have to learn a lot about that :)

spacedev

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
With the two NPC issue, what you would have to do is make an event at the door exiting the world map. Under "Flow Control" on page 1 you want to chose "Conditional Branch"

Set it to variable. Beside it should be a drop down to create a variable. Name that whatever you see fit. Set the constant to 2 (which represents the 2 NPCs you have to talk to) then make sure you select "Create Else Branch"

post pt2.png

Under "If : (Name of variable here) = 2" you want to put whatever happens after you talk to the npc's and you try to exit the world map. (You're able to leave, etc.)

Under "Else" you want to put whatever happens when you haven't spoken to the NPC's yet.

ALSO IGNORE THE COMMAND \V[1] THAT I DID! THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I HAVEN'T WORKED OUT. I SUGGEST BEING LESS SPECIFIC WHEN YOU TELL THE PLAYER THEY HAVE NPC'S TO TALK TO, AND JUST TELL THEM THAT THEY HAVE MORE PEOPLE TO TALK TO OR SOMETHING.

post pt 3.png

Your door is now finished!

(Basically what happened was: If the variable is at 2, then you can pass through the portal.)

Now for the NPC's

Create your dialogue for the NPC and put that in. Then go under the category "Game Progression" on page 1 and select "control variables."

Select Add and set the constant to 1.

post pt 4.png

Next is important, because you don't want the player to just be able to talk to one NPC twice and get through.

At the end of the line you want to set off a self switch under "Control Self Switches" Set off self switch A (if you have no other self switches on the map)

post pt 5.png

Next you want to make a new page in your event, and within that new page you want to copy paste the dialogue from the first page (or create new dialogue for if you want the NPC to say something else the second time) and under conditions you want to turn on "Self Switch A"

Make sure the character graphic, accessibility and such are the same on the second page.

post pt 6.png

Do this for both NPCs, and then your done!

With the lake you would have to be more specific, what do you mean by " only one event to the whole lake"?

TheTsunaru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm going to be making some assumptions based around the little information given here. If my assumptions are not correct, then I apologize.

I'm guessing you want to have a lake that heals you when you step into it, but you dont want it to trigger the heal and accompanying message multiple times while you're walking through the lake. This can be easily accomplished through use of switches.

Firstly, make the event. Set it to fully recover the party, and have the message pop up. Then, turn on a switch that will indicate that you've been healed. Lastly, make sure its set to trigger on Player Touch.

Lake 1.png

Next, make a second page in the event. Have the contents be blank, and under conditions, check Switch, and then set it to the switch you turned on in page one. The trigger method is irrelevant since there's nothing for it to trigger in the first place.

Lake 2.png

Go back to your map, copy the event, and paste it over each tile on the lake. Because of the switch you turned on, every time you step on the lake tiles, it will run page 2 (the blank page) instead of page 1 (the one with the healing event).

Lake 3.png

"But Tsu, I want to still be able to use the lake to heal"

Excellent point, and fortunately, still very easy to do. Create another new event in one of the tiles surrounding the lake. Set it to trigger on player touch, and then in the contents, set the switch to turn off instead of on.

Lake 4.png

Lastly, copy that event and paste on all the tiles directly beside the lake.

Lake 5.png

In the above picture, tiles marked with the blue dot are the healing tiles, which will turn the switch ON when you step on the first one. The tiles marked with the red dot are the tiles that will turn the switch OFF, allowing you to reuse the healing part of the pool the next time you step into it.

The whole thing will look a little something like this. (Pay no attention to the glitch on the bottom, compressor on the gif was apparently terrible)

Lake.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseStark

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
With the two NPC issue, what you would have to do is make an event at the door exiting the world map. Under "Flow Control" on page 1 you want to chose "Conditional Branch"

Set it to variable. Beside it should be a drop down to create a variable. Name that whatever you see fit. Set the constant to 2 (which represents the 2 NPCs you have to talk to) then make sure you select "Create Else Branch"

Under "If : (Name of variable here) = 2" you want to put whatever happens after you talk to the npc's and you try to exit the world map. (You're able to leave, etc.)

Under "Else" you want to put whatever happens when you haven't spoken to the NPC's yet.

ALSO IGNORE THE COMMAND \V[1] THAT I DID! THIS IS SOMETHING THAT I HAVEN'T WORKED OUT. I SUGGEST BEING LESS SPECIFIC WHEN YOU TELL THE PLAYER THEY HAVE NPC'S TO TALK TO, AND JUST TELL THEM THAT THEY HAVE MORE PEOPLE TO TALK TO OR SOMETHING.

Your door is now finished!

(Basically what happened was: If the variable is at 2, then you can pass through the portal.)

Now for the NPC's

Create your dialogue for the NPC and put that in. Then go under the category "Game Progression" on page 1 and select "control variables."

Select Add and set the constant to 1.

Next is important, because you don't want the player to just be able to talk to one NPC twice and get through.

At the end of the line you want to set off a self switch under "Control Self Switches" Set off self switch A (if you have no other self switches on the map)

Next you want to make a new page in your event, and within that new page you want to copy paste the dialogue from the first page (or create new dialogue for if you want the NPC to say something else the second time) and under conditions you want to turn on "Self Switch A"

Make sure the character graphic, accessibility and such are the same on the second page.

Do this for both NPCs, and then your done!

With the lake you would have to be more specific, what do you mean by " only one event to the whole lake"?

It worked perfectly! :D

Thank you for your awesome explanation, it will be very usefull in the future :)

As for the lake thingy I already solved it thanks to a person who answered my post.

RoseStark

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
I'm going to be making some assumptions based around the little information given here. If my assumptions are not correct, then I apologize.

I'm guessing you want to have a lake that heals you when you step into it, but you dont want it to trigger the heal and accompanying message multiple times while you're walking through the lake. This can be easily accomplished through use of switches.

Firstly, make the event. Set it to fully recover the party, and have the message pop up. Then, turn on a switch that will indicate that you've been healed. Lastly, make sure its set to trigger on Player Touch.

Next, make a second page in the event. Have the contents be blank, and under conditions, check Switch, and then set it to the switch you turned on in page one. The trigger method is irrelevant since there's nothing for it to trigger in the first place.

Go back to your map, copy the event, and paste it over each tile on the lake. Because of the switch you turned on, every time you step on the lake tiles, it will run page 2 (the blank page) instead of page 1 (the one with the healing event).

"But Tsu, I want to still be able to use the lake to heal"

Excellent point, and fortunately, still very easy to do. Create another new event in one of the tiles surrounding the lake. Set it to trigger on player touch, and then in the contents, set the switch to turn off instead of on.

Lastly, copy that event and paste on all the tiles directly beside the lake.

In the above picture, tiles marked with the blue dot are the healing tiles, which will turn the switch ON when you step on the first one. The tiles marked with the red dot are the tiles that will turn the switch OFF, allowing you to reuse the healing part of the pool the next time you step into it.

The whole thing will look a little something like this. (Pay no attention to the glitch on the bottom, compressor on the gif was apparently terrible)

It was exactly that what I wanted to do, now it won't look annoying if the player decides to go to the other tiles of the lake.

Thank you so much! :D

RoseStark

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Ok, I am having trouble with another issue now. I have searched but nothing works...

I want to make a passable tile impassible without having to change the tile on the database, because that same tile should be passed on other ocasions.

The tiles that I want to make impassable are this event tiles:

Capturar.PNG

TheTsunaru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As in you don't want to be able to walk past them? So you only want to be able to walk onto the tiles that are the event tiles?

Create new events on the tiles you don't want to be walked on, leave them blank, and under "Priority", set them to "Same as character".

Alternatively, and probably easier for your game to run (since it can sometimes have slight performance issues with too many blank events), you can use the Yanfly Region Restrictions plugin to prevent player access from tiles you don't want them on

Last edited by a moderator:

RoseStark

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
No, I just don't want to walk past those event tiles, like the player can´t go inside the fountain.

TheTsunaru

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Ah, alright. I edited my last post, which should be able to help you.

RoseStark

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Wow, so silly for not trying that. I was putting above character. Thanks once again :)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Going to try my luck with Rust programming language. C++ is just way too gosh darn frustrating.
Phew. Finally fixed all of the tileset and event issues in this demo. And now, it's time to release another, finished game. Stay tuned!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Shiresu