Ever wish there was a definitive RGSS(x) Guidebook?

Discussion in 'Learning Ruby and RGSSx' started by ei8htbit, Mar 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. Klandaghi

Klandaghi Resident Werecat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    well I have a shell put together at present I need to get it fleshed out some more... and maybe get some logos... but this is an option if people want to use it.

vxace-wiki.oni-neko.org

I also need to get the e-mail working properly for it to send confirmations, though log in will work without them.

Edited Message here:

The Link is stricken through... Please don't use that link as nothing is there. Please, instead, go to:

http://rgssx.wikia.com/wiki/RGSSx_Wiki

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2012
  2. ei8htbit

ei8htbit Mega Member Member

First Language:
    English
    Heh, that was fast I like your enthusiasm :)

3. Klandaghi

First Language:
    English
    I can get a site built, the problem is filling it. Also looks like my sub-domain setup may break the login page...

oni-neko.org/vxace-wiki/ will work properly

The Next Question is, may I use and slightly alter the RPG Maker logo? I'm not sure if there is a fan site kit or if I could get the question to the right people at Enterbrain to be permitted to use the RPG Maker Logo with an RGSSx edit near it. While I'd love to whip up a logo really quick. I'd prefer to do it with proper permissions :-D

Edited Message here:

The Link is stricken through... Please don't use that link as nothing is there. Please, instead, go to:

4. ei8htbit

First Language:
    English
    Yeah the focus at this point would just be to complete a master version before worrying about translation of course.Having said that, in my mind this project isn't about posting pre-made script scenarios or even situation-specific tutorials (there are plenty of threads and forums for that already). If anything, examples of how script commands and objects work within the RGSS environment would be used to demonstrate clarity and practical usage. The point of this guide should be to explain in the simplest terms possible how the fundamentals of Ruby (object oriented programming) are used in conjunction with the RPG Maker-specific RGSS3 API components (ie Classes, Instances, Commands, Functions, Definitions, Arrays, Global and local variables, etc.) in order to build what you need. All of those components are based on the universal Ruby Language so that would never need to be translated directly, just the theory and explanation portions would be regional language-specific for what it's worth.

Of course I'm getting ahead of myself and there is no "right" way to go about this, this is just what I thought would be the most useful way to really learn how RGSS is implemented. I look at it as more of a Haynes Auto Repair Manual (google it) for scripting enthusiasts. A straightforward compendium of the guts of RGSS and how they work and what they do, the responsibility is still on the individual scripter to use their imagination to build what they specifically need, but at least understanding how RGSS works will be less of a barrier with such a reference guide.

5. Klandaghi

First Language:
    English
    I think that something similar to what I've seen for Lua in regards to WoW-wiki and the like would be about right.

Here is the command text and here is what it does, it's uses, and it's options.

Something similar to a man page for Linux.

Then maybe some examples where it is useful.

HAHAHA! OR, we could spend a few minutes and read the help file that comes with it. :p Lots and I mean LOTS of good info in there regarding the back end of the system.

Even though the help is there in the help file I think it would be helpful to have an online database of help designed by users before new and old to the RGSS system.

Im definetly up for helping to fill it.

[EDIT] This is in reply to Touchfuzzy, Post # 34

ACK, Sorry about the double post. It will not happen again T_T Didn't think anything of it as it was 30 minutes later. My apologizes. I see that you have already corrected/condensed the double post here. Thank you.

6. Rion Requiel

Rion Requiel Twin Raven Studios Veteran

Usually the internet.. in front of my computer :)
    First Language:
    English
    A definitive guide would help me alot to make my DarKnight Battle System a reality, It's going to be difficult pulling it off >.<

7. AstoXx

AstoXx Subconscious Punmaster Member

First Language:
    Logic
    Although, including a few basic pre-made scripts may be useful to act as a reference, so just some really, really basic custom systems so one can peruse through the coding to see how it all fits together right in front of them. I think having in a wiki format is the much better idea, because I'm sure there is information that we haven't thought of that would be great to pop in here.

So, not only would this contain a actual readable syntax guide, but maybe tutorials like Amerk suggested, with varying levels. Maybe even implement the Master Script List into it, so it really is your one-stop shop for all things RGSS3 when it comes to RM.

Also, just a small thing... I know I'm not a mod or admin or stuff, and this isn't me trying to be, but Klan... can you just simply edit your posts to include new information if someone hasn't posted past your post. That way, no double-posts are knocking about and everything is pretty and easy to read.

8. ei8htbit

First Language:
    English
    This is a good idea, really the ultimate goal is to have a one-stop shop (very much like this forum is in an overall resource way) that is focused and more or less like the ultimate "toolbox" for RGSS scripters (advanced and those still learning).

9. ロリ先輩

ロリ先輩 ロリだけど先輩だよ Veteran

For a community project that would become this integral, I would actually advise against having it hosted by anyone in particular. Use a service like Wikia is advisable, as it takes the burden of hosting the wiki off of one person, and as a non-involved 3rd party hosts it, there is a greater element of 'democratization' or 'equality' put into play.

10. ei8htbit

First Language:
    English
    I agree, this is probably the best way forward.

11. Klandaghi

First Language:
    English
    Thinking back on it, yea, that's probably the better way to go. This also makes it so that if anyone looses interest in teh project, or someone integral does (say, me T_T;) then the project doesn't go down the tubes.

I'm happy to get it started and then pass ownership. I would imagine a founding group as the admins/mods would be best. I'm voting ei8htbit for Owner/lead =^_^= You have the vision and the idea of what you want it to be, only makes sense

12. notwelshman

notwelshman Warper Member

First Language:
    English
    As a complete coding - and RPG Maker - newb, this sounds like a fantastic idea; once I've figured out what I can do with the out-of-the-box program, I'd love to get under the hood and start to understand how I can tweak my games further.

I'd love to help with this - okay, obviously I can't code worth a dayum (yet), but I'm more than happy to be a guinea pig for any Beginners' Tutorials that magically appear!

13. AstoXx

First Language:
    Logic
    Well, ei8ht, it looks like we're managing to slowly aquire a team with absolutely no real effort on our part. It's great you guys are so enthusiastic! We've already got an idea on a roadmap of what we want, a possible site location and now a little tutorial guinea pig to tortur- uhhhhh... help test. Yes... test.

14. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Klandaghi, please do not double post.

ロリ先輩 likes this.
  15. Klandaghi

First Language:
    English
    OK, Wikia site made:

If I have the ability to, once I see you sign up with accounts I'll get you elevated access and make ei8htbit the owner/master mod.

Also went through and removed links/used strike out, and provided new/proper link.

Lastly... Klandaghi learns the error of his evil double posting ways. Instead, goes crazy with the edit tool. This should hopefully be the last edit for a bit. Sorry for any trouble that was caused =T_T=

16. AstoXx

First Language:
    Logic
    Nice one, Klan. Can't wait! Hopefully our little pet project will take off! I, personally, won't be able to do much in the way of tutorials as I'm more of an eventer than a scripter, but I'll still help out in any way I can... if I make an account, that is.

17. WizzyT

WizzyT Slayer of Fades Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Signed up for it, Ill add any information I can to it when I get a chance.

18. ei8htbit

First Language:
    English
    Thanks to everyone who is supportive of this and to klandaghi for taking the initiative on creating a home for this, now the overwhelmingness begins ;)

I have signed up for it as well, I will attempt to setup a general framework for content to help keep it on the rails, but of course I am sure others will have great ideas to improve and refine this resource as it comes along and all are welcome and encouraged to do so. I'm not sure if I would be the best moderator, from the enthusiasm on this thread i think all of us can use our best judgement when contributing, but of course I will always take a special interest in this initiative and stay close to it in an effort to keep it relevant and as useful as it can be, while seeking out contributors willing to support it.

Having said that, part of the reason I started this thread is because I simply don't have all the requisite knowledge to complete this project myself (I was hoping to just will it into existence) so this wiki will live and die by the contributions of all those who have knowledge to share. I'm glad there seems to be interest in seeing this succeed though and I am optimistic that we can see this through, here's to making scripting more accessible to all :D

19. AstoXx

First Language:
    Logic
    Yeah, I've got that same isdue, too. I know diddly-squat about scripting because there has never been anything like this. Given the speed this project has garnered support without our pushing it and putting it out there, I really do think if we were to drum up publicity and appeal to a few prolific scripters, we could get this ball rolling. I meam, we already got a gracing from Nick! We just need to really push this harder and I'm certain the community will respond accordingly.

20. Klandaghi

First Language:
    English
    Hehe, kind of a "If you build it, they will come" kind of deal. I've been working to try to gain the requisite knowledge. The problem is, my normal methods for learning such things, is the web. While I think google is working for me, the majority of the sites are not in English. Chrome helps some, but I'm not 100% sure I'm' getting the right information. I want to make sure that when I'm posting framework/tags/commands/methods/classes/etc. that I'm giving good info. I think with the Lua script on WoW, the fact that Blizzard said "here is the list of things you can use, go forth and be lua programming gods" helped a lot.

What we need, is an avid scripter that knows what we are looking for. I'm still working to learn what I can. I had a co-worker tell me about Ruby and my company now has a product that is hosting through Ruby on Rails, though I've not dealt with it much. I hope to get some time to ready up, learn, test and convey findings. At one point, I almost posted Yanfly's notetag's as part of the API, but I believe those are actually dedicated to his scripts specifically, and I'd want to ask his permissions before I just posted all his hard work to the wiki. Hhhmmm wonder if he'd be willing to sanity/laugh check for us, if he wasn't interested in posting. There are already some solid scripting geniuses out there from what I've seen.

Also, I'd like to make it clear, there are sections for all three RGSS areas. So if anyone is knowledgeable and practiced with scripting for XP,VX, or VXAce, please feel free to have at :)

(------------------------------------------------------------------------------------)

So back to my prior comment on the Help File. Digging into it further, I think anything that I would want to post is already there. Contents > RGSS Reference Manual It covers everything we'd want and we would more then likely just end up re-posting what is already said. I'd rather not just copy and paste the help file up there. To make the Wiki useful though, we could attempt to provide examples of use, or tips behind using those elements. Really just sitting down and reading the help file's RGSS Ref. Man should be enough for anyone with some programming experience. Really, learning to understand the help file is what is needed. I would imagine translating that help file is a large part of the time from Original release to translated release.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 16, 2012
    ei8htbit likes this.