Ever wish there was a definitive RGSS(x) Guidebook?

Discussion in 'Learning Ruby and RGSSx' started by ei8htbit, Mar 14, 2012.

Tags:
  1. GemFall

GemFall Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    I appreciate this idea so much. I took a light game design course in college, and the program we used(I forget the name now, darn) used light javascript-type language but in a manner that only worked for that program really. I know Ruby isn't the exact same, but I think that the principle of the language having minor tweaks with each program it's used in definitely is there.

I have next to no experience with Javascript, Ruby, any of that- I purchased a Kindle version of a Ruby book, but I'm still feeling a bit lost since everything is so foreign to me. I really wanna learn Ruby mainly for RPG Maker(the extra knowledge wouldn't hurt, but)... so this would be very, VERY useful for me personally.

2. Nelderson

Nelderson Coding Bitch Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Welp....I can understand the position that some of the newer people to scripting are in. I actually have no formal programming knowledge, but I learned how to write code, specifically RGSS2, proficiently over time. One of the tutorials that really helped me out is GubiD's tutorials for RGSS2 here:

The difference between RGSS2 and RGSS3 is a little different, but what's more important than syntax and how things look, is the logic behind them. Once I truly understood the flow of ruby, and some of the basic logical tools for the job, everything else falls into place :D

Just be warned that this does take time, and doesn't come overnight. Be persistent and ASK QUESTIONS, the scripting community have some of the best personalities around...(Except Jet :p ) But seriously, IceDragon and Jet still help me out in learning higher level approaches for some of my scripting problems, so keep your heads up and persevere!

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 17, 2012
  3. ShinGamix

ShinGamix DS Style 4Ever! Veteran

First Language:
    April Fools
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I want to learn so bad and I have tried to learn from a few places but I guess I might be to tardo to learn.

4. Sailerius

Sailerius Engineer Veteran

First Language:
    English
    With reflection, it would be possible to automatically generate it.

5. Touchfuzzy

Touchfuzzy Rantagonist Staff Member Lead Eagle

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Yeah, I thought about that, too. I don't know of a program off hand that generates it from ruby code. I researched it for like 15 minutes after I made that post but I was busy with work so couldn't really didn't get into it that much.

6. Marty

Marty Villager Member

First Language:
    english
    Hey all,

I do like the sound of all this, as I’m so new to this program (3 weeks VX, 4 days with VXace) and having a place that I can go and learn would great. I’m learning from the tutorials that I can find on this site. So if this can happen I think for people like me it would help out a lot in understanding how things can work. Who knows maybe one day I can even do some scripting and help out others. Anyways like what you all are talking about and hope you can do it. Just wanted to let you all know that you are help people even if they that don’t respond to the post.

7. TrogButtz

TrogButtz Hamster Hamster! ~~Dance! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Great idea and concept, one that the community could definitely benefit from!

I'd love to help, but I'm terrible with scripting. Most my scripting experience came from playing around in Game Maker, and I've since forgotten just about EVERYTHING I had learned. That said, if I find a way to contribute, I will!

8. Kyrie

Kyrie Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    RGSS is Ruby essentially?

9. Mr. Bubble

Mr. Bubble Makes stuff. Member

All versions of RGSSx are APIs written in Ruby.

10. Zeriab

Zeriab Huggins! Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMXP
    This is a great idea!

While you can extract information as Sail say I suggest that you do it by hand.

It is hard to create an algorithm which only extracts relevant information.

11. amerk

amerk Veteran Member

First Language:
    English
    I gave this some more thought and it probably won't make script writers out of those who are not. However, it can help people to understand and use existing scripts better. Another idea I had was to make tutorials out of current scripts to show people how to use them, and maybe why they're done a certain way. I'm not familiar with how to use note tags yet, as others probably are, so basic tutorials that offer some real basic examples on a few tutorials will definitely help and in the long run prevent so many noobish questions (we hope) on what we need to do.

Some scripts that would be great for teaching a couple basic example set ups would be an AP system, Quest Log, and Skill Customization.

Then again, sometimes it's just a matter of practice. I can't tell you how many times I cringed at variables and their uses and how much I felt I would never get them, and then one day it was like a lightbulb turned on. I still can't do advanced variables, but I'm much more confident in my skills now than I was a couple years ago.

12. C Frost

C Frost Level 51 Procrastinator Veteran

First Language:
    English
    This, exactly. I cannot write scripts at all, and I'm ok with that. Learning enough to be able to create my own, from scratch, would be a pretty big undertaking; maybe someday, it's something I might try, but for now... nah.

But even when it comes to using pre-existing scripts, there are some concepts that one should understand, some basic operations that one should know how to do, in order to get the most out of them. I would love some tutorials aimed at demonstrating such things.

While this can often be true (I'm struggling with variables myself right now), I don't think it precludes the possibility of tutorials still being extremely helpful, so that you have a good base with which to start practicing. Also, different people learn different things in different ways; one person might begin to figure out some basic scripting simply by experimenting long enough on his own, while another might never even begin to grasp it unless someone gives him a kickstart and explains some fundamentals.

13. kirinelf

kirinelf *Stare* Veteran

First Language:
    Hakka
    You guys have my full support! And I'm glad to see that there're so many people eager to help out.

Anyways, I have virtually no scripting knowledge myself, but I am insanely curious and having spent a lot of time translating Japanese scripts, I've actually got a slight handle on how some things work. With Kread-Ex's help I managed to take a static value in a script and turn it into something that can be controlled as an internal variable, and without too much effort, I can probably turn it into something that can be controlled via actual ingame variables. And with IceDragon's help, I managed to take Yanfly's System Options script and add compatibility with Blizz's Art Gradient Bars Styler script so players can modify the way bars are drawn dynamically ingame. I also managed to frankenscript something using Nicke's scripts to get a credits screen working, which involved taking a method from one script and sticking it in another one.

That's really all I've been able to do though, editing scripts that've already been made to better suit my desires and needs, but lately I've decided to take a bit more of an active approach to scripting. This morning I spent three hours going through RubyMonk, which was recommended to me by... uh... someone on the IRC. Can't remember who for some reason. Sorry to whoever it is! That site helped me get a bit more of a handle of things, especially with regards to notetags, enough so I can feel almost confident in making edits to the wiki. Almost. Not quite. xD

But yes, enough blabbering on. I really support this endeavour. But one thing. I very much prefer to have a single one stop shop for all this info, but someone on the RMVXA.net forums has started his own little site. This is the forum topic on RMVXA.net. Should I post and tell him about this movement and see if he'd be willing to join?

Edit: Oh, and on the topic of practice/tutorial scripts, I think that the simplest script to start with is a custom menu system or a custom title screen, rather than a full on custom system like AP or skill customization. With a bunch load of commenting to tell us stuff like: "Here, I'm initializing the window. This determines the default font, size and position of its contents." or something like that.

Also, Klan, do you mind if I edit the Basic Syntax page? I see you're halfway through explaining how to use the = sign, and I was hesitant to step in and help finish explaining it, as well as to add a bit on local variables (@).

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 2, 2012
  14. Klandaghi

Klandaghi Resident Werecat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Go for it, I was able to start but work ramped up again T_T so I have less time for side projects T_T

15. The Infamous Bon Bon

The Infamous Bon Bon Executive Geek Member

First Language:
    English
    I could also see this being helpful to eventers.

After spending so much time tweaking scripts and noticing the common elements of certain things, I've started using the script function of the conditional branch command and it is really useful. A list of how things are used would be useful.

Gonna check that wikia out now.

16. yieldingmydestiny

yieldingmydestiny n00b Veteran

First Language:
    Melayu
    The first step(s) is/are the hardest(not necessarily true but yeah).