Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

Welcome to Ire's Keep Convent:

The Magical Heart of Evergloom

A magical-school full of rival factions, in a castle bursting with secrets, on a planet far from any star.
Beneath the lace and perfume of the Sisterhood, an inevitably violent coup simmers hotter than the mushroom tea. Rumours of an unfathomable alliance between the Faculties of Life and Undeath make for uneasy suppers, and distracted novices.

It couldn’t come at a worse time. Travellers from the Western Kingdoms bring frightening news: Beios, the blue lamp is failing. One of three great towers that bring dim light to the world of Evergloom. Without it, a global catastrophe is inevitable.

Men in taverns ponder the question of whether the Sisterhood can replicate the magic of their forbears, if they can mobilise in time to stop Beios going dark, and if the Sisters are the ones really responsible for the lamps failing? After all, who else could dabble in such magic.
slime3.gif

Excerpts from "A Succinct History of Evergloom for the Uninitiated Novice upon joining the Faculty of Death" by Grace Silkweaver

Chapter 18 - The First Cataclysm.

Sixteen thousand years ago, the star, from which Ever gained all its light was failing. Growing, cooling, and threatening to engulf all of Ever. Earthquakes, storms, and strange illnesses were already causing vast damage and untold deaths.

The population is estimated to be around three billion at this time (a huge number compared to the two-hundred thousand that reside here now). Of course, more people alive meant more women with magical gifts and a much larger Sisterhood. While we don't know the exact numbers, we do know that Ire's Keep was just one of nearly three-hundred strongholds dedicated to the Sisterhood, and that more were under construction. Some scholars claim that there were more sisters alive then, than there are people alive on Ever today (although I should add this is merely speculation).

The power of the Sisterhood back then is unfathomable, and with that power they came up with a solution. They would move the planet out into the darkness of space and away from the star. Now, I have heard it said amongst non-sisters that this is just a legend, yet it is not. There is overwhelming proof and evidence to support this theory (see appendix C).

To compensate for the effects of this movement, the Sisters created four magical lamps. These had a dual purpose of stabalising Ever during the planet's movement, and then lighting it in the darkness. One can only imagine the power involved in such an undertaking, but sufficed to say that the Sisterhood could not even hope to do a similar feat now. In truth, we cannot even gain entry into the three remaining lamps, and our most accomplished Sisters cannot propose a theory on how they were constructed.

Obviously, the move failed which led to the event known to most Sisters as 'The Cataclysm', yet those of us in the Faculty of Death know it as 'The First Cataclysm'.

The reason: Fehire the White Lamp, failed.

It was meant to be the brightest of the four, simulating the failing star's light, while the remaining three were meant to simulate that light reflected off three moons the planet was said to have had (see chapter 7). When the move began, Fehire's light died and it collapsed into ruin. Few accounts of the following ruination exist, but we know that billions died instantly as the planet shook and trembled. And that millions more died in the years after as crops failed in the darkness.

Ire's keep was the only stronghold of the Sisterhood that survived, and the few remaining Sisters found there way here. They came together in one great effort to move the remaining lamps, and change their cycle; creating a triangle of constant light and stability with Ire's Keep at its center. This is the land that we now refer to as Evergloom, and all outside it is a dead wasteland.

Those survivors who could be moved, were brought into Evergloom, yet nothing would be the same again. Trees and plants were replaced by fungus, and the great magics that existed waned with the passing of the years.

This is the history that all Sisters in Ire's Keep learn, and much is known of it in the Fourteen Kingdoms that make up this land. It is, as far as we know, the truth... yet it is not the whole truth. As one dedicated to the Faculty of Death, it is important that you know why this happened, and the events that occurred afterwards, events that we know as 'The Second Cataclysm'.
Excerpts from "A study of poetry in the 43rd century post Cataclysm." By Vana Islewight

The following poem is most interesting in that a version of it still exists today. What makes it especially noteworthy is that the original is almost certainly a call to arms against the Sisterhood of Ire's keep; the forth verse (completely missing from the modern variation) makes this abundantly clear. Other noteworthy changes are that, as we've seen in other poems of this era, the archaic word 'sun' is used instead of 'star' and the spelling of the red lamp Rathis, is still 'Rethis'. Here is the poem in full:

-------------------------------------------------

Fehire's Fall.

Ever gone is Fehires golden sunlight,
Ever missed are all things green that grew here,
Ever lost are all the lands around us,
Ever dim is all the world we live in.

Fehire fell and swindled us of sunlight,
Beios the blue is cold compensation,
Rethis only angers when she waxes,
Di on waning: hope to desperation.

Never days to bask in Fehire's sunlight,
Never nights to sleep in coal black comfort,
Never rosy dawn in which to delight,
Ever haunting twilight tries to take us.

Evergloom: three-pronged land on barren moon,
Rotting lands, and where Keep stands: rotten core.
The Fourteen Kingdoms pay the Sisters boon,
The cost? Their daughters to prop up Ire's rule.

Ever hope to reignite,
Ever sharp swords make light,
Ever long wives-tales hark,
Evergloom, but never dark.

-------------------------------------------------

As the forth verse is completely new to me, I shall start the breakdown there. 'Three-pronged land' almost certainly is a reference to the triangular shape of the inhabitable land between the three lamps (which we call Evergloom), and the 'barren moon' is certainly referring to the wasteland beyond.

Although the world's eco-system has stabalised now, the 43rd century post Cataclysm world was still undergoing great changes as the plant life was replaced with fungi. This I believe is what 'Rotting lands' is referencing. There was no way for those people to know it would work out fine in the end. Of course, the 'rotten core' is meant to be Ires' Keep, but I cannot fathom, even in those times, why anyone would blame us Sisters for the fall of Fehire...
Ever: a dark and barren planet far from any stars.

Evergloom: A triangular mushroom-filled region nestled between three immense magical lamps that cast dim, ever colour-changing light, over the fourteen kingdoms.

The Antagonist: Time. It has been seventeen-thousand years since the creation of the lamps and now Beios, the blue lamp, is failing. Earthquakes, volcanoes, and strange magic-polluted creatures, are the least of the world’s problems. If Beios fails, it will bring Evergloom’s apocalypse.

The Solution: The lamps were created by the Sisterhood of Ire, a group of magically blessed women. As the planet’s sun began to cool and grow at an alarming rate, there was a fear that it would engulf the world. To save it, tens of thousands of Sisters worked together to break the planet from orbit and to build the three lamps. The Sisterhood still exists and has been petitioned by the world’s kingdoms to repair the lamps.

The Problem: The Sisterhood of Ire is not what it once was. Not a single remaining Sister holds even a tenth of the power that their ancestors did. Moreover, Ire’s Keep is the last remaining bastion of the Sisterhood, containing only a few thousand Sisters.

The Politics: The current Convent Mother, the leader of the Sisterhood, is a puppet, raised by powerful Sisters from the Transit, Alteration, and Alchemy Faculties. A figurehead. They have kept this arrangement in place for hundreds of years knowing that the rivalries between the other faculties could never lead to their power monopoly being overthrown. Yet there are now rumours that the Life and Undeath Faculties have joined together in an impossible alliance. The Sisterhood has had schisms before and people are talking openly about the possibility of a civil war.

You: Your powers manifested only a few months ago, and since then you have undertaken the long journey to Ire’s Keep from your village in the far south, under the red lamp, Lethrada. You’re far from anyone you know, in a dangerous and frightening castle, and surrounded by women who you’ve only heard of in legends. Yet there is opportunity here. An opportunity to learn magic. And perhaps, within the secretive and terrible walls of Ire’s Keep are the answers to all the world’s problems.​
  • A non bad-guy centric story where Byzantine style bureaucracy, factional power systems, and a global catastrophe are the true enemies.
  • An immense and secretive castle to explore. Hidden rooms and secret passages, haunted tombs, strange mushroom filled woodlands, magical dungeons, and fiendish puzzles all accessible in an alien open-world.
  • Seven faculties to join: The faculty of Life, Undeath, Alteration, Transit, Offence, Defence, and Alchemy; each with unique quests, spells and identity.
  • Alchemy system. Break down less useful magical loot to create incredible potions.
  • Three phase time-system linked to the phases of the three lamps. Each hour casts the world in different levels of darkness and colour.
  • An ABS (action battle system) with over 50 offensive and defensive spells. Group combat with allies, multiple teams, summons, and grand boss fights.
  • Created with RPG MAKER MV
  • Percent Complete: 60%
    • Graphics: 90%
    • Engine: 100%
    • Spells & Items: 100%
    • Sounds & Music: 60%
    • Boss Battles: 45%
    • Storyline: 100%
    • Story Implementation: 30%
  • PC Requirements: Medium
asdfsda.pngxksaudgfhsu.pngthkjashd.pngbjhasfd.pnglihasjhdgvjhas.pngphoihiuh.pngkljhsjhgkjhg.pngmkhjgjkh.pngfref.pngnhjgjhgkjh.png

LATEST UPDATE:
A short video showing a mini-boss battle with a Stone Golem. Stay on the lightning squares to avoid his AOE attack.

Last edited:

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Just your world building would already be enough to make me play this :) What you describe sounds very cool and unique.
Will the whole story take place in the castle, or are there other places of the fourteen kingdoms to explorer too, like the lamps itself. Looking at the Rest of your mapping I imagine them to be very atmospheric.

Anyway I am already looking forward to it!

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@coucassi Thank you! I'm kind of obsessed with the world of Evergloom right now, so that's really validating to hear!
The first half of the game takes place within Ire's Keep, but that includes the surrounding mushroom woodlands, crypts, caves, and magical dungeons. The second half branches out into the village of Caerbeios, the nearest village to the blue lamp, and outside Evergloom itself into the desert beyond the lamps. Through certain quests, and the abilities of the Transit Faculty, other, quest specific, locations do come up but are much more linear than the open world sections.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Uhh, I already love this game! Sounds so interesting and I love ABS. The graphics are really good and I can clearly see you have put a lot of work into the story, looking forward to play this one :LZSjoy:

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kristina Thank you! I've always loved ABS games (unapologetic Zelda fan here). Its also a lot of fun coming up with boss battles, and new ideas for combat. Today I've been working on a battle with an electricity golem who has a devastating AOE spell, yet its rendered useless if the player is stood on certain tiles. Getting to those tiles as he warms up the spell is tricky, but a fun mechanic :biggrin:

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mike-Turtle You're welcome! I have a huge love for for ABS games too (Zelda fan here as well) and I use ABS in my own game as well. I like you have to be creative in different ways when using ABS. Definitely sound like a fun fight! :LZSjoy:
Are you using Alpha ABS?

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Kristina - I just took a look at your game, and the city graphics are giving me a real Daemonsgate vibe, which I love. I spent hundreds of hours playing that game.
I'm using QABS, but with completely custom AI. Getting faction combat was the hardest thing to get working by far, but I love the idea that a player can stumble into an already underway battle, or skirmish.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mike-Turtle Thank you! I really appreciate your words :LZSproud:

I have considered a different ABS plugin so thanks! Looking forward to see more of this game and I'm sure I will love to play it once it's ready!

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated the main post with a video showing a mini-boss battle with a stone golem.

@Kristina QABS is great, amazing actually, but requires a fairly good JS knowledge to create AI. I've not really tried any others although JABS looks really good.

Kristina

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Danish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@Mike-Turtle Love the video! The combat is awesome, really well made. I really like the graphics as well.

Didn't know of JABS, thanks! I think I'm gonna give that one a try when I make a project in MZ. I will probably stick to Chrono Engine ABS for Aryen - A tale of a hero, I have finally made it work how I want..ish. So no reason to change it now.

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Updated OP with all new screenshots with the new HUD, and redesign of the Novice's dresses. Lots of scripting work done this week on Dueling and the challenge mechanic. Tedious to write, fun to test!!

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Excerpts from "A Succinct History of Evergloom for the Uninitiated Novice upon joining the Faculty of Death" by Grace Silkweaver

Chapter 18 - The First Cataclysm.

Sixteen thousand years ago, the star, from which Ever gained all its light was failing. Growing, cooling, and threatening to engulf all of Ever. Earthquakes, storms, and strange illnesses were already causing vast damage and untold deaths.

The population is estimated to be around three billion at this time (a vast number compared to the two-hundred thousand that reside here now). Of course, more people alive meant more women with magical gifts and a much larger Sisterhood. While we don't know the exact numbers, we do know that Ire's Keep was just one of nearly three-hundred strongholds dedicated to the Sisterhood, and that more were under construction. Some scholars claim that there were more sisters alive then, than there are people alive on Ever today (although I should add this is merely speculation).

The power of the Sisterhood back then was unimaginably vast, and they came up with a solution. They would move the planet out into the darkness of space and away from the star. Now, I have heard it said amongst non-sisters that this is just a legend, yet it is not. There is overwhelming proof and evidence to support this theory (see appendix C).

To compensate for the effects of this movement, the Sisters created four magical lamps. These had a dual purpose of stabalising Ever during the planet's movement, and then lighting it in the darkness. One can only imagine the power involved in such an undertaking, but sufficed to say that the Sisterhood could not even hope to do a similar feat now. In truth, we cannot even gain entry into the three remaining lamps, and our most accomplished Sisters cannot propose a theory on how they were constructed.

Obviously, the move failed which led to the event known to most Sisters as 'The Cataclysm', yet those of us in the Faculty of Death know it as 'The First Cataclysm'.

The reason: Fehire the White Lamp, failed.

It was meant to be the brightest of the four, simulating the failing star's light, while the remaining three were meant to simulate that light reflected off three moons the planet was said to have had (see chapter 7). When the move began, Fehire's light died and it collapsed into ruin. Few accounts of the following ruination exist, but we know that billions died instantly as the planet shook and trembled. And that millions more died in the years after as crops failed in the darkness.

Ire's keep was the only stronghold of the Sisterhood that survived, and the few remaining Sisters found there way here. They came together in one great effort to move the remaining lamps, and change their cycle; creating a triangle of constant light and stability with Ire's Keep at its center. This is the land that we now refer to as Evergloom, and all outside it is a dead wasteland.

Those survivors who could be moved, were brought into Evergloom, yet nothing would be the same again. Trees and plants were replaced by fungus, and the great magics that existed waned with the passing of the years.

This is the history that all Sisters in Ire's Keep learn, and much is known of it in the Fourteen Kingdoms that make up this land. It is, as far as we know, the truth... yet it is not the whole truth. As one dedicated to the Faculty of Death, it is important that you know why this happened, and the events that occurred afterwards, events that we know as 'The Second Cataclysm'.

coucassi

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
As one dedicated to the Faculty of Death, it is important that you know why this happened, and the events that occurred afterwards, events that we know as 'The Second Cataclysm'.
If only my own history teachers would have featured such cliff hangers in their books ...

Will you share Chapter 19 before we get to play the game? Since at least the title is teasered on your website I keep my hopes up :D Did you/do you plan write out all the other chapters of her records as well? I love to discover and read trhough this kind of background knowledge in fantasy games.

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@coucassi - Thanks :) And yes: Chapter 19 - The Second Cataclysm, Chapter 7 - The Formation of Ever, and Chapter 11 - The Core of Magic all are in draft versions and will be released at some point beofre release. I expect a few more chapters of this book will also get covered. Grace Silkweaver (see below) is a prominent character in the game who acts as a conduit for lore and history:
Grace.png
But there are others's like her, each with books (at least chapters) in draft form that I'd like to release too. I'm really hoping to fill the world with accessible (but not necessary to know) lore.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Aaaaah. The warm color scheme and lighting is both so ominous yet relaxing all in one. You did a fantastic job with setting a vibe and feel to this project.

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
@PlotTwistStudios Thank you so much! The 'three lamp' light cycle has gone through a lot of edits and remakes, so that's really great to hear.

as200123

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I'm sorry for my awful english.
Can i ask you some QABS quation?
how did you use QABS and make Summon Skill. does it need additional JS plugins?

Your game look like very good.
You have a nice art style.

as200123

Warper
Reaction score
First Language
chinese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Thank you so much!
I want to make a roguelikegame.
that help my project a lot.
I will try for my project.

Mike-Turtle

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Banner.png

This week we've been hard at work replacing our placeholder enemy sprites with the real thing. This is a large job: each enemy must be animated, their skills made to time up with those animations, approprite sfx added, and then finally tested.
Take a look at a part of Ire's keep cemetary, with some of the new undead sprites, below.

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I couldn't help myself, so I edited the tiles a bit and made a birdhouse :LZSsmile: I hope I will finish the town today!Screenshot 2021-09-17 134349.png
How do I find the threads I have watched? It's been so long I've forgotten :kaoswt:
So far, this is how the wall tileset its looking in-editor. :kaoswt2:
1631863283853.png
Still thinking on details to add.
Added a plugin to RMMV Plugin Releases with all relevant info but it looks like the topic wasn't approved for whatever reason. Cool.
Working in the IT industry:
- "How long does it take?".
- "It takes 1 month".
- "What if we add more people to the project?".
- "It would take 2 months".

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chxn