RMMV Evie's Enchanted Emporium [Crafting & Shop Management RPG] - Demo Available!

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by fallenlorelei, Feb 1, 2019.

1. fallenlorelei

fallenlorelei Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English

The demo features 30+ minutes of gameplay tutorial. You'll experience the main "tutorial" within the cottage, and then be allowed to explore the Brookwood Forest. Do note that the Forest is technically attuned for a 3-person party, while you'll be limited to 2 for this demo. Story progression is locked.

Synopsis
    A young woman awakens in the forest with no memories of her past. When she stumbles across an abandoned cottage, she decides to spruce it up a bit and call it home until her memory returns. After meeting the true owner's nephew, she discovers that the cottage once belonged to one of the greatest Runesmiths in the world, although now rundown due to years of abandonment, and that she too might be a talented Runesmith!

Due to this revelation, she is allowed to stay at the cottage under two conditions:
    1. She must help the nephew search for the long-lost Runesmith
    2. She must renovate and maintain the cottage as a Runesmithing Emporium
    Taking on the name Evie, she is thrust into a world of magic and monsters, using magical crafting to make her way across the land to save the missing Runesmith.

Characters
    evie_pic.png Evie | The Mysterious Runesmith

A mysterious young woman with no memory of her past. She finds she has a knack for Runesmithing and decides to run an Emporium while searching for the shop's true owner.

tarin_pic.png Tarin | The Optimistic Archer
    The nephew of one of the greatest Runesmiths in the world. Although not very magical himself, Tarin is great at archery. He is searching for his Aunt, helping the team through combat, while attempting to fix up the Emporium for her return.

nellie_pic.png Nellie | The Shy Magician
    A shy magician and Tarin's childhood friend. Nellie was once an assistant Runesmith, but was fired due to her ineptitude. She is a better caster than crafter.

Ren | The Skillful Rogue
    Coming soon.

Features & Screenshots

• Restore the abandoned cottage! Clean it up and pay for additions to make the Emporium larger!
    renovate_cottage.jpg
    • Craft items to sell at your Emporium!
    screen09_craft.JPG
    • Manage your shop by filling the shelves with your crafted items, then watch as NPCs come in and purchase your wares!
    screen04_store1.JPG
    screen05_store2.JPG

• Increase your shop's reputation by completing quests for the villagers! More reputation means, among other things, more NPCs coming to shop!
    reputation.jpg
    • Gather resources to help with your crafting!
    screen03_gather.JPG

• Battle monsters for more ingredients. All abilities use items to cast, like these arrows! The UI shows what items you have to use!
    screen06_battle.JPG
    • Evie crafts the items in battle so you won't run out! (Unless you run out of ingredients!) Gear Evie in Skill (repurposed "Luck") to increase how many items she can craft in battle!
    screen06_battlecraft.JPG
    • Upgrade your gear to be able to hold more arrows, crystals, etc.!
    screen07_battleitems.JPG

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
  2. BlueComet

BlueComet Developer Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love shop management games like this! I hope we get that demo soon! Looks like a lot of really great things going on here!

3. jaykeith

jaykeith Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Honestly this looks cool. Will try it when it comes out.

4. fizzly

fizzly Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Polish
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Love sim/management/simulation games, staying tuned! I like it so far!

5. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    A friendly updated!

Feb 9 2019:
    Chapter 1 is now FINISHED! Except for the pretty map-making, the game is fully playable from start to the first boss (which unlocks Chapter 2). In my test file, I've reached 4 hours, making this game a little longer so far than I anticipated, but that is the most alpha of alpha versions so it may (and will) definitely change.

I am sending the game to a few alpha testers before putting it up for all. It will still technically be an alpha, maybe a beta, of a demo when I publish it publicly here, so I will very much require your input! But I'd like to get the nasty, gamebreaking bits out of the way before I do that.

Let me know if you'd be interested in alpha testing!

I am also waiting for some updates to the crafting plugin I am using. While it works great, it needs a few "quality of life" tweaks before I can publish the game publicly.

Thank you @BlueComet, @jaykeith, and @fizzly for your excitement!! It's helping to motivate me!

Fizzly, it looks like your Carpentry Story game linked in your signature might have a very similar feel to mine! Exciting! When it's published, you'll have to let me know how it compares. Your demo link unfortunately isn't working for me or I'd have tested it out. :)

Last edited: Feb 10, 2019
    fizzly likes this.
  6. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    Update! 17 Feb, 2019

I weeded out a lot of bugs in chapter 1 based on the input from some alpha testers - thank you to those people! The demo should be up soon, probably. In the meantime I was working on Chapter 2 when I just had the urge to parallax map! And so I did, haha. I have updated the screenshots here with the new map images. Not all maps have been parallaxed - in fact, the main forest is still using a tileset, but I've upgraded it to FSM so it at least looks nicer. I still need to do the individual store buildings but for now, I'm satisfied!

I also decided to record making the main town if you're interested in watching:

That's it for now! Hoping to get the demo out soon! Thank you for your patience :)

18 Feb Update!

I have caved and added the demo link! It is just the main gameplay tutorial and only about 30 minutes, instead of the entirety of Chapter 1. I feel a lot more comfortable releasing this!

Let me know what you think :)

Last edited: Feb 19, 2019
    atoms, Jayje and Biestmann like this.
  7. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    23 Feb Update!

I am pretty satisfied with the way things are going so far. This is super rare for me. Almost any game, I'll finish either the demo or up to Chapter 1, determine it sucks at a core level, cannot be salvaged, and give up. But this past week I've been re-balancing all of Chapter 1 (see, I knew there was a reason I kept from releasing the whole thing yet!), and I am just so pleased with the way things work now.

I began Chapter 2 a bit ago, and now I can continue it! The story is all planned out (in fact, it's planned out up until the end!), and it just needs to be implemented. First thing was first: designing the new unlocked addition to the Emporium.

Slight spoiler, so I'm not going to actually put it in the main post, but if you're interested:
    EastWing.JPG
    Lots of cheap stuff on the counters. Also, two new counters from the upgrade! You get the "Writing Desk" with the first addition. This allows for the crafting of powerful scrolls.

Another big change I made, apart from rebalancing numbers, was the graphic UI. I did like it before, it was definitely more "fun," but I thought it was too cluttered, and the theme didn't really match up with the rest of the game's environments (it was foresty, when Evie and Friends will be visiting other places after Chapter 1). So I got some pretty metallic ornaments and just went crazy. I might have gone overboard like I normally do, but I like it so far!

So in honor of feeling better about the progress of the game, I am uploading a new version of the demo. This time, you can go into the Brookwood Forest (although not the town to continue the story), and experience battle and exploration. Let me know if you get any weird errors. I went through it myself, but didn't bother trying to level to the cap in it (5 in this case). Also note that the battles are attuned to a 3-person party (with Nellie) while you're kinda stuck at 2 here, so it might be a little difficult! Hard mode ;)

atoms, SoSick., Jayje and 2 others like this.
  8. atoms

atoms Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    It all looks like it's coming together nicely for the type of game you're aiming for, and I'm liking every jigsaw puzzle piece you add in. I think it all fits nicely, the mapping, the story, the GUI for the battle screen and the new one for the menus, the mechanics as well. Very good job so far, keep going!

My only thoughts on what may need a bit of thinking so far is, if every skill in battle requires a certain number of items, is it at the moment possible for players to enter a battle without enough items, and if so what then happens?

9. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    @atoms Thank you!! That's so nice to hear! Words like that keep me going, haha.

It's true every battle requires items, but luckily for basic attacks, they don't require that much at all. Shoot Arrow, which is a pretty good ability all things considered, costs 1 Arrow. 1 Arrow costs 1 wood, 1 ingot, and 1 tool (and a tool costs 1 wood and 1 ingot). You should typically craft these before battle - preparation is important. But if you don't prepare - which in my testing, happened often! - there's still a few ways of getting the items you need.
    • Evie can craft Arrows and Tools in battle (and everything you'll need, really). You'll just need to have the wood and ingot for her, and you'll typically find yourself capped out on wood and ingot almost all the time so that shouldn't be a problem.
    • If you somehow don't have any wood or ingot (or gemstones, or coal, or flora), which tends to happen toward the beginning when you haven't gathered much, then there is a "Scavenge" ability that every party member can do. You'll receive a random amount of random ingredients, although there is a small chance of getting hit while scavenging and not gaining anything.
    Thanks again for your comments!

atoms likes this.
  10. ABandit

ABandit Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    VNM
    I just finished playing the demo. What a lovely game!
    I can see all the love and effort you put into it. Keep up the good work :)

11. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    @ABandit Such kind words! Thank you so much!! There is definitely a lot of love in this project. Although not necessarily my "baby," I feel like it's the project I've always wanted to make, and I'm excited to see it through to the end.

12. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    Update! 1 March, 2019
    I've been pretty tired after work this past week but I have managed to put in some progress!
    • A major Chapter 2 Map has been .. er, well, mapped! I put it up on YouTube again if you're interested:

I'm not terribly in love with it (I'm so bad at the FSM tiles!), but it's pretty enough I suppose, and it gets the job for now! This isn't the only map relevant for Chapter 2, but it's the first big one, so getting this done was a huge step.
    • Monsters for that map have been databased and balanced! Hooray!
    • Chapter 2 also introduces the "Map" which enables Fast Travel in the game. It's still a work in progress, but here's a gif of it in action (Chapter 2 spoilers in the quest journal, though!)
    So these forums keep giving me an error when I try to upload the picture, but I have it up on RMN so let's see if a direct link works:
    [​IMG]

I think that's all I wanted to mention!

Thanks again for your interest and support in Evie's Enchanted Emporium!

Biestmann likes this.
  13. fallenlorelei

First Language:
    English
    3/14 Update
    Yummy pie day!

A slightly pitiful update, but I felt like I needed to! No fun screenshots to show, just a promise that progress is still underway. I got a pretty bad cold the past two weeks and it's taken ages for me to feel better (I'm 7 months pregnant so getting over anything as small as a sniffly nose is taking 10x as long). Each day I made a small amount of progress to Evie.

The biggest change is the addition of small side quests to the game! I know, I know, what's an RPG without side quests? They were honestly on the backburner for a while, and I treated them like stretch goals. Let's finish the story first and then add in all that fun extra stuff. Well, it turns out Side Quests are rather important to the story, so I needed to implement them much sooner than expected!

Complete side quests in order to raise the reputation of the Emporium! Higher reputation means more NPCs coming to shop! It also unlocks certain story elements ;) which is fairly important, I suppose!

Oh hey, I guess I lied. I do have a screenshot!

reputation.jpg

So, this means that I'm retroactively adding side quests to Chapter 1 - another good reason I haven't uploaded the entirety for the demo. It's taking a bit of time because 1) I was sick, and 2) I don't want the quests to be rushed and terrible. They are fairly simple, most of them asking you to "Craft me something!", but it still takes some time :)

Hoping to be able to continue Chapter 2 progress after all of this!

Thanks again for your support :D

ABandit and Biestmann like this.
  14. hiddenone

hiddenone Lurker Extraordinaire Moderator

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I love games with crafting, so I gave this a go. It's a pretty cute idea, though I do see some things that could use tweaked. :)
    I won't comment too much on the story since the demo's pretty short, but it worked fine and was enjoyable. It seemed like Tarin recovered from his anger at Evie 'breaking' into his aunt's place pretty quickly, but it did beat the alternative of having the intro drag on for ages.

Crafting worked well, though I do wish the demo gave me a few more things to craft, just to see more of it in action. The plugin you're using for runesmithing isn't bad, but I did make the game crash at one point while crafting from the menu, unfortunately I don't know how I did it and couldn't have it happen again... I think I just was selecting and deselecting Arrows too fast and confused the game so it froze. It would be nice if the help window updated right after crafting something though, as it wouldn't show the right number of arrows or tools until I left that page which made things a bit confusing.

Gathering points being random and respawning each day is nice, but I do wonder why there's a progress bar while gathering. I could understand it being there is there was a chance of a QTE to increase the number of things gathered or if time kept passing while gathering, but neither seemed to be the case. As it is, the progress bar just seemed to slow the game down.

Battles were rough! The forest was full of 2 Plant troops of enemies, which definitely weren't meant to be fought with just Evie and Tarin. I know you mention that on the itch.io page, but it's just a shame that you didn't add in enemies with only one Plant, or more Wolf troops, since that would have made it easier to really explore and gather more resources. Healing with Vegetables wasn't very effective (in battle the Plants were often doing equal or more damage than the Vegetables could heal, making it almost a waste of a turn to use them!) and Wolf Stew was hard to get so I could really only take on one or two enemies a day before needing to head back to the bed to rest and recover. I loved the idea of preparing for battles and crafting mid-battle if needed, but the current enemy troops just don't allow for that idea to shine.

The selling scene is really neat, and it's great to see people coming in and buying things. I started eventing a system like that for my own game, and I know it's tough to get it working right so kudos to you! I do think that it wouldn't hurt to speed the people up a bit though, since the player can't do anything but wait for the day to be over once they open the shop.

Speaking of waiting, I had an issue with the bed. It wouldn't let me go to bed at 10 am! :p But that's actually a problem (at the moment, possibly in the full game it'll be less of an issue) because it's tough to recover after a battle with the Plants. Bad luck can leave the player with little HP early in the day, and if they gather from all the safe points quickly and don't happen to have anything to sell (or don't want to sell anything that day) then they end up just stuck waiting for the day to be late enough to sleep. It's not a bad thing to let the player know that they're going to sleep early and could do other things with that time, but if the player wants to call it a day early why not let them?

It's already a very pretty game, but I did notice a few odd things. Personally I found the tints too strong, though I know that could be my monitor. The dark tint on the building's map before lighting the fire made it really hard for me to figure out where things were (I had trouble seeing the coal), and the morning tint seemed less like morning and more like a giant spotlight was pointing at the world. Tweaking those could lead to the maps looking even better, though clearly that's a small nitpick.

The journal frame not disappearing when it's empty or during cutscenes felt strange. I wouldn't mind if it just was off the screen when not in use. The clock disappears during dialogue which is nice since that's not the focus during cutscenes, but it did make me laugh when it would reappear and then fade away again when other things were happening during cutscenes. If possible with the plugin you're using, maybe you could just turn if off when the player isn't in control?

Overall, I'm really looking forward to seeing where this game goes. Stuff could use tweaking and polish, but in general it seems like you know what you want for this game which is great, and I hope it gets the attention it deserves when you add more chapters to it. Good luck with this game! :rwink: