EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Thank you. And nah I think I'm totally the wrong person to talk about animations ahaha. I don't do as much animating as I do texturing still stuff. Probably the only tip I can give about animating is that you should definitely make use of moving the very same frame to give off the sense of movement without having to redraw sprites every single frame. Also, it's better that you plan out your key frames before getting to work, especially with sketches, so that you can see how smooth the animations are going to be, and determine the amount of actual work you need to do for animating. 

accha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ahh I see! Still, that's very good advice, especially for longer animations which do benefit from careful planning.

Thank you for the tips! /o/

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Sort of a trivial personal epiphany but, I'm really happy that I've figured it out.

1CCNprE.png

I tried out a new sprite style today, wherein each ramp in the palette has strictly 3 colors. And it's not something that can be easily pulled off with the usual palette. The cool thing about it is the intermediate color can act as outline in lighter areas, which reduces the need to anti-alias (or renders anti-aliasing impossible anyway, because you only have 3 colors). It's something I still have to take note as well, because I forgot to do that here, particularly the right arm (his right). I shouldn't have been able to AA.

So the point is, the kinda "formula" to make a palette that can work this way is to make sure the average difference in luminosity between each color in a ramp should be about 50/255, and the darker colors should always have higher hue values than lighter ones. I'm still experimenting with it but just thought I should share this, because it's pretty incredible to me.

accha

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Ohh wow, I wouldn't have guessed that there are only 3 colors in each ramp. You worked in a lot of clear detail even with that restriction! The tophat and the pants work especially well, I think.

Your comments on how it's done are also really interesting. I might try to practice making and working with this type of palette myself later, since it seems like a great way to get yourself to focus on shapes and forms.

By the way, the monocle is definitely a nice touch ;)

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
You should play around with making stuff with existing pallets, it's a fun exercise that teaches you a lot about how to build them. BTW, you can totally get that down to 7 colors without losing anything.

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
I play with existing palettes all the time. I'm even obsessed with making palettes and optimization. But that one was a little bit more than just about the palette, because the way that you pixel things vary depending on the amount of colors you have at hands as well. The less colors you have, the more each pixel matters, and your techniques change accordingly.

And sure I totally could've optimized the palette, but that was rather an experiment with contrast and a small sprite, so I didn't really wanna bother. 

Sharm

Pixel Tile Artist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
Ah, I misunderstood the point of the piece then, my mistake. I think you did a good job with it though, he's got a lot of character.

Titanhex

Do-It-All
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I've gotta admit the sprites, animations, and art is superb. You've done a great job, and I'm sure anyone would be lucky to have you on their project. Keep up the great art.

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
He's Adol Christin from Ys ;w; my favorite childhood hero and the only person I'd ever be gay for

Neverward

Keeping it trill
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Your recent art is really awesome!! I especially love 'dishonored'. And dang those toilets :p you make something mundane pretty, I think the whole bathroom scene is just well coordinated and has a nice color scheme. I <3 the use of purple undertones, it makes it all softer!

While I'm learning to create tiles I take a ton of inspiration from your work (and all over) Especially from your choice of colors, your values are always awesome :)

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Uguu thanks for the kind words ;w; I'm too much of a hobbyist in that I can only make decent stuff when I really like what I'm making, so I'm totally not one of those professionals ahaha. To hear that my work is inspirational is really flattering. Thank you again!

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
90zNyNJ.png

I've been playing Dark Souls 2 and loving everything about it so far. This is Blue Moon Sword, my favorite weapon in the game.

Last edited by a moderator:

Evan Finkel

Modeling Beholder
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
That is the bestest examples for beginners! :D

Really love these ones.

[IMG]http://puu.sh/41WA5/10965ff292.png[/IMG] [IMG]http://puu.sh/4bZDG/7781d5d8dd.png[/IMG]

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMMV
dammit I want to try pixel art myself for doing animated custom battler but when I saw you I feel like...god ;_; .....*return to his traditionnal pen and draw anime character*

nan just I feel like....RESPECT~ if you was in the NES generation you will be sure a awesome pixel artist for nintendo xD!

Bonkers

I haven't seen you since the plague.
Restaff
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Is there any chance you'll be posting the DS++ tiles you were working on before the official thread was closed in members+, or are those materials restricted from posting on your art thread?

EvilEagles

Stargazer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Vietnamese
Primarily Uses
Other
Is there any chance you'll be posting the DS++ tiles you were working on before the official thread was closed in members+, or are those materials restricted from posting on your art thread?
What I've done for that pack will be shared publicly soon in ReStaff since I've cancelled the project.

Also. How to move half a pixel at a time:
eYeY7Y8.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

You look like you had a rough day...Here, have a Baby Panda!

7 years of trying to plan this project... and it got an official plotline today. 7 years. I really just have no concept of order huh GHJGSJHGVGHASFH.
Doing RPG Maker News for 24th October 2021

I'm not sure how to do this so I'll just ask here, Wheres a good place to post your game (for free) once its done?
I don't know what I'm doing :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gredrick333