EvilOverlord (being the bad guy) Demo available.

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Julien Brightside, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
    Version: 0.82
    Minor bug fix.
    https://www.mediafire.com/file/f44sj30ujwrhiq3/EvilOverlordVersion082.exe/file

Version 0.81
    Added more dialogue and prevented some soft locks.
    http://www.mediafire.com/file/20cc9871k29l2ix/EvilOverlordVersion081.exe/file

Version 0.8
    It is playable as far as I know. I have tested it.
    Some bugs might appear though. The game is beginning to grow quite large and I'm beginning to lose track of everything.

What's new:
    Some more quests, places to go.
    Attack a fortified city, enter the forest of fairys and attack the elves.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gh3zr545eeouut9/EvilOverlordVersion080.exe/file

Last update, 04.12.2017
    This update patch fixes some issues.
    Probably adds some new ones.
    Also adds three smaller temples where you eat or recruit someone.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/d635h75p5rghjy6/EvilOverlord064.exe

Version 0.60
    Chapter update. (At the end of this you'll be able to return to mainland.)
    Fixed various stuff.
    I have played through it, so it should work.
    I read through the feedback rules and tried to follow them as closely as possible. This felt like the right forum to post this thread.

In any case, I`d love to get some feedback on the game if anyone wants to try it. (Or feedback on anything really.)

What is this game inspired by?

This game was inspired by games like Overlord and Breath of Fire.

Demo game length:

Ca. 6 hours if you know what to do.

Story Synopsis:

Imagine if there was a country where the ruler was a tyrant, an overlord which ruled over a desolate wasteland with an iron fist. That he had built himself a great castle gathered a legion of shady looking minions and amassed a great treasury which could be envied by many.

Imagine that you are the heir to this throne and while you prepare yourself to usurp your father (like the local tradition is) the castle is attacked by “the Alliance” a group of city-states that have allied themselves to rid themselves of your father and all his followers.

It is now up to you and your faithful butler to unite the remnants of your father’s legion (and perhaps gain new allies on the road) and get your vengeance on your enemies by crushing them under your feet (Or just feed them to your hungry hordes.)

World Development:

The world is populated by humans, humanoid creatures and monsters. It is filled with swords and magic. Though for the most part, you are not fighting the monsters, you are in fact trying to continue their survival as the humans sure won’t do any of that.

Some time before the game starts, there was a somewhat peace between “minion-kind” and the humans. Sure, there would be some minor fights, but human cities were able to trade with the outlying monster villages without trouble. Though, after the “Alliance”, the villages have been burnt and the monsters scattered into the depths of forests and caves where they could be safe.

Other things:
    The world is on a medieval level of technology. The occasional flint lock pistol may exist, but they are not mass produced. Magic on the other hand is a lot more used.
    There have been several kingdoms in the past that have risen and fallen, thus leaving behind ruins that can be explored for the courageous adventurer (provided that they are ready to take the consequences of disturbing whoever sleeps in forgotten tombs.)
    Each “nation” is ruled by a leader which owns the biggest city in that particular area.

It is a monster eat monster world, where only the strong and clever survive.

Characters:

Heir: The heir to the throne and offspring of the current Overlord.

Jeeves: A butler who has been in the Overlord familys service since as long as Heir can remember.

Edit stop.

Screenshots:

explore ruins.jpg

Gather followers.jpg

unite the monsters.jpg

Characters

overlord.png

butler.png

gusto.png

sirrta.png

elea_the_banshee_by_j4b-d7b153w.png
    This update patch fixes some issues.
    Probably adds some new ones.
    Also adds three smaller temples where you eat or recruit someone.

https://www.mediafire.com/file/fk6kvia5fcfatfa/EvilOverlord063.exe

Credits:

Thalzon - a good amount of battlers.
    Kazzadoor - Monster sprites.
    Scinaya - Some faces.

Awesome tilesets by:
    - Celianna
    - Enterbrain
    - Lunarea (castle/library tiles)
    - Mack (interior walls/misc tiles)

Party system by Yanfly.

Bones and skulls tileset. By Indrah.

Edited Kerberos by Lunarea.

Oh, and some really good music from Usagi.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2019
  2. B.Ultimus

B.Ultimus Drinker of Coffee Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Always fun to see the reverse roles in an rpg game!

May I suggest another title? I mean EvilOverlord is good and all, but... someone might have beaten you to the punch, with a concept that's pretty similar.... you know...if you are going for original game. I mean, unless it's a fan game on it, then right on!

You're mapping is pretty decent, I'll be glad to see how this game evolves.

Best of luck!

Julien Brightside likes this.
  3. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Well, I was inspired by the game, but I don't really have any good names myself.

Maybe I should call it "Heir's quest".

Do you have any good suggestions for a name?

Did you try the game?

4. Zack

Zack Perverted King of Demons Veteran

Right behind you; breathing down your neck.
    First Language:
    English
    I tried the game, and the overall idea is great. I love the concept of being an Evil Overlord and having minions and stuff. I practically lost it when I saw the family portrait in the Heir's Room! Your writing is strong enough, and it is pretty humourous. However, before you put this game up for commercial release, the mapping can use some more detail. Also, when you walk to the stairs leading to the dungeon, the music stops. A longer dungeon and mabye some locked doors with keys in proximity would be a blessing. I think a good name for this would be "Ovelord's Conquest". "Overlord", would also suffice. That is all!

Best of wishes,

Zacko2012

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  5. Zozma

Zozma Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I'm definitely going to try this out. Expect a full demo playthrough review of this by tommorow night. I love the idea :)

6. NPC

NPC Auteurist in this world Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    In regards to name, something humorous would fit the style of the game. Maybe something along the lines of: Trollocs Running Over Little Losers (TROLL), or Anti-Fanti (Anti-Fantasy). Of course, those being pure humour, you may want something more serious like: CRUSH: (sub title), or The Heir/Hair that kept growing. Sorry, ignore that last one.

Edit: Or; Bad to the Boss?

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2013
  7. Zozma

Zozma Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I played through all the available areas, insofar as I could identify them. The game's a little lacking in direction, although I suspect you want it to feel very open world. I found the camp and recruited the blacksmith, but was unable to do anything after that. Vlad's castle was packed with enemies I couldn't defeat, so I figured that was a difficulty deterrent and I was meant to go back at a higher level. Visited the orc village, but couldn't find anything to do there. Even found some stimulants for the bones, but no go.

- Your humor's pretty strong. Made me smile in quite a few parts. The choose your own adventure book (slow down the text a bit, though), Jeeves' autobiography, the graveyard, and the heir's room were some of my favorite features, in that regard.

-The game's set up is good, and it can easily work, although I wouldn't allow recruits to become party members if they'll just end up being resigned to shop duty when I get back to camp. I like the idea of rebuilding from the ground up, and recruiting minions to do it.

-I'd have liked an opening cutscene. Starting out in the heir's bedroom with full control is a tad rushed.

-Good use of music.

-Balance is a bit of an issue. Heir's early abilities are either restricted by mana (he doesn't have enough at max) or usability (he has no need to drain mana). The slime boss splitting up into multiple parts is a great feature, but doesn't amount to anything when slimes are incapable of doing damage. Putting poison monsters on the field isn't the kindest thing to do when the only available shop/antidotes are through a dungeon. Keep things like that in mind during design.

-Mapping was troublesome at parts. I liked the forest dungeon map, and there were parts of the Overlord castle that I thought were good, but other parts seemed a little thrown together. You really like that shade tool :p .

8. NPC

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I played the demo also, and thought it was great...except for the fact that the soldier and dead adventurer battlers were too tough compared to the weak bats and slimes. They should be more even, and more skeletons should just pop up in random, or maybe a weaker version of them.

The only place outside of the camp I got to was the lighthouse...which was bland...because I couldn't go in (no doubt a demo thing), but when I exited, my computer spasmed. I'm not sure if that was a bug, or just my computer...

9. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    1. Glad you like the game.

2. This game is gonna be free all the way, though I will eventually release a final version. (somewhere between hell freezes over and the universe heat death.)

3. Hmm, you are right, I could do with a bit more detailed mapping and longer dungeons.

4. Good name suggestions. I`ll keep them in mind.

1. Heh, I like the last suggestion. The others are funny, but I am not sure if they are fitting.

1. Yeah, the beginning areas didn’t really have a lot of linear story telling due to a lack of structure on my part. It is a beginners project for me, so there is a bit of some messy parts.

2. The original idea was to have monsters to recruit that you could have in your party later. Like, the Breath of fire 2, or Chrono Trigger where party members hang out in your castle.

Either that or making a separate party that could go on some smaller adventures.

Also, there was a thought that, not everyone is born to be a powerful adventurer, but that doesn’t mean they can’t fight.

In any case, your thought is noted and put into consideration.

3. Glad you like my humor.

4. Hmm, I could add an opening cutscene, but I have no idea what to put in it.

5. Heh…yeah, I am guilty there. I have to revise both slimes and thieves I think. Perhaps I should give Heir more mana to begin with, or make abilities TP based.

6. Heh, guilty of using the shade tool. If you want, could you take print screens of the parts that you think particularly troublesome?

1. Hmm, I could revise the sewer dungeon, make it longer and perhaps position the dead adventurer battles differently.

My thought was that they are a bit of a challenge as fighting them is optional.

2. The lighthouse will be updated in the next update.

Just so you guys know, it is possible to enter the town to the south.

Also, I am very glad for your replies. I appreciate them very much.

10. NPC

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I feel sad though, that when you interact with your former "slaves", they don't know you...I miss being called boss.

GoodSelf likes this.
  11. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Which are you thinking of?

12. RyanA

RyanA Happy Cat Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I agree, the name is somewhat boring. In December you said you were looking for suggestions, so I'd like to offer mine :3

Murder All Heroes!

Villainy Glorified

Tales of Impurity

Quest for the Unholy Chalice

Harold the Halfling Hacker

Kill, Maim, Destroy

Heheh...Ok time to take it seriously ;3

Eclipse

13. NPC

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    At the camp through the forest, after you pick up Stu. They don't recognize you!

14. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Eclipse might be a good name.

Well, not all of them served Heirs father. They merely banded together in the forest as the human army have chased them down all over the countryside.

15. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Added version 0.40.

16. Casia

Casia Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Something very strange happens when I try to install the game. It creates two empty folders, one of which I cannot even delete. And no game anywhere... :(

17. bentleym33

bentleym33 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Same happened to me me, I now have an empty folder and no matter what I try I cant get rid of it.

18. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Hmm, this is very strange.

I will check into this and see if I can figure it out.

19. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Hmm, tried downloading and installing on my computer. Works fine here....

Here is an alternative download source:

http://www.filedropper.com/eviloverlord040

A friend of mine had the same issue and he said:

"uh got a problem every time I try to install the exe, it creates an invalid file, can't delete it or anything in it, or even view the things in it.

EDIT: ok only the file is invalid everything in it just doesn't work(can delete but can't open)... have a zip version as I now have 4 files that exist and don't (can't remove).

EDIT2: ok got it working had to move the files out of the evil overlord .40 file and delete teh original file... yep think its my computer."

Maybe this helps in getting rid of it?

20. Clord

Clord Nya~ Veteran

Your Mediafire's upload is fine but the other one is corrupted.