EvilOverlord (being the bad guy) Demo available.

Discussion in 'Games In Development' started by Julien Brightside, Dec 13, 2012.

1. Julien Brightside

Julien Brightside Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Norway
  2. Clangeddin

Clangeddin Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Italian
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    The screen no longer fades to black, but the character sprites now disappear permanently so you walk around as an invisible man. :p

3. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Reuploading a fixed version of it.

4. Industrial Gamer

Industrial Gamer Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I'd really be curious to see an RPG maker game that plays like Overlord. I honestly have Overlord siting right next to me.

5. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Well, there's not the same mechanics.

But I was inspired by the Overlord games when it came to the protagonist.

6. amaSenpai

amaSenpai LP: amaSenpai Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I completed the game! I'll try to keep it vague so as not to spoil anything.

It was a fun experience, there are certain things are really enjoyable to see in a game. I love that the towns grow as the story moves forward. It makes the world feel more alive and much more fun to explore back and forth. Initially, it is kind of difficult to figure out where to start. There are a few times when switching areas that I got a bit sidetracked as well. Most of the time I was collecting items and not knowing when I could use them until a while later. Once I got my objective down though, it was fine. I wanted to use Jeeves' trivia ability more, but many times his comments weren't that helpful so I gave up on it.

I think a bit more direction (especially finding Steve) could help, like an objective list or character confirmation dialogue when you start something. (regarding Steve, a 1 of 2 parts found notification would be good -- as would a short "how to rebuild him?" dialogue). I do like the amount of hidden areas and extra bits there seem to be. I know I missed a few things because I couldn't open certain places, or know what items to use. The ones I did find were very satisfying... nothing was ever given to you.

7. shayoko

shayoko Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Thoughts Demo 0.54 7H 54M

I was sad when i reached the end as i thought the game was finished :( that aside.

i enjoyed this. the best part about it is the choices while you are a bad person either way.

you can be bad or evil depending on perspective of course.

and each having their own benefits.

some opinion/hidden content was also a nice plus for the game.

For the weaknesses of the experience.

i'm not a fan of TTB so that aspect i didn't enjoy very much

their isn't much depth to the characters. besides Heir or Jeeves your party doesn't talk much which is unfortunate.

they are just there most of the time.

There are grammar and glitches which should be addressed

Overall

Despite the downsides of this i enjoyed it because you get to play as the bad guy which is rare.

i would recommend this.

Random thoughts (includes spoilers,bugs anything)

When you save it may show things you shouldn't see in the pictures.
    like at the staircase in front of the throne for example

make sure you have triggers stopping people from going to areas to early if it would be a problem with dialog or something.for example you can go down south instead of to the mountains when you escape.

i wonder if there is a way to save the dragon. in fact why doesn't the strong stuff revive it?

Gusto is supposed to be able to unlock all doors but he can't open some for ? reason.

in westeroth some locked buildings have the same exact interiors and rewards
    some don't even have a reason to go in

to locked buildings where the execution platform is sent you to the other side

Monster repellent does not work. does not even allow you to use it

maybe the shovel should be a key item. and why couldn't you just take the one
    in the underground well of the outpost? they had a pick axe too

the Dragon slayer sword is weaker then the Bardiche which you can guy from a store
    somehow this feels really wrong. it feels like it should be a legendary weapon.

or is it suppose to be a decoration?

in Dysert town you do not have to open the gate to let your army in before you blow up the wall

in the Dysert castle you can enter rat holes. but why? does Lilah allow you to do it here specifically for some reason?
    she has no special skill that mentions it like the ghost
    later i found it tells you if you happen to interact with the hole in her house after she joins.
    i had no idea

you can actually avoid falling into Rah meds trap and just kill him.

the guards that you do not kill in the dungeons of Dysert after you take over the town will still attack you

Does Sheesha have a special ability?
    ^its used in her mothers area first but i don't see the point. you take a longer way to get to her area.

Sheeshas main focus is magic damage yet her magic attack is considerably weaker then the other girls

also not sure why we are collecting replica gems

if you don't save your party after being swallowed do you lose them forever?

At Easoth there is a shop that sells 2 dolls. you can only get one but they don't do anything.
    they are under armor but no one can equip them

there should be more monsters around town in Easoth if you spare it.
    also the guy who talks in a foreign language and the sleeping guy at the in at the docks is still there.

some rich people are still there too. they were part of the problem. like the writer

or the mercenary in the church

8. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Last edited: Jun 27, 2017
  9. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
  10. Kes

Kes Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    I have a suggestion to make. At the moment it makes no difference if you are on the world map, in the volcano, in a forest, or down the sewers - everything is the same cheerful brightness. I think it would help your maps a lot if you considered using screen tints. For example, your sewers are quite sparkling. However, with a screen tint of -136, -51, -102, 136 they would look like this (in spoiler, as it is a bit large)
    screen tint sample.png

You might want to play with those settings a bit more, but with something like this, the sewer is more likely to feel a darker, dirtier place than it is now. For your forest maybe something like -34, -51, -75, 34 or, for a darker effect, -85, -68, -85, 0. Then there would be a contrast between the heavily wooded forest and the more open, therefore brighter, camp site. The interior of houses could be something like -34, -34, -51, 0 because the insides of houses are usually less bright than outside. A more desolate interior, e.g. in the destroyed town with the ghost, might be more like -34, -34, -68, 34 (you'll have to play around with the grey figure to get what you want).

EDIT
    Forgot to mention that you have a big bug in your battle with the Captain after blowing up the watch tower. I finished off the Captain first, but still got every single "The Captain Calls for Reinforcements" addition until I finished off 2 soldiers in the same round. Nope. If the Captain goes down, that should end all his calls for reinforcements. Doesn't make sense to continue them.

Last edited: Jul 30, 2017
  11. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2017
    Neith likes this.
  12. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
    Version 0.8
    It is playable as far as I know. I have tested it.
    Some bugs might appear though. The game is beginning to grow quite large and I'm beginning to lose track of everything.

What's new:
    Some more quests, places to go.
    Attack a fortified city, enter the forest of fairys and attack the elves.

http://www.mediafire.com/file/gh3zr545eeouut9/EvilOverlordVersion080.exe/file

Note:
    I would really appreciate any kind of feedback you have on this game. The things you like, the things you don't like, the things you think could be better.

Last edited: May 12, 2019
  13. Julien Brightside

First Language:
    Norway
  14. Randor

Randor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    I've posted a review of this game on my website. Check it out!

EvilOverlord - Score of 94/100!