RachelTheSeeker

Suddenly, a summer breeze...
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hey folks. I've begun to work on a project again, and had a query to make a certain type of buff or debuff in-game. Because I don't feel the title can convey what I mean, here's an example.

Say I'm trying to create an AD&D-esque system for a game. In this case, I'm trying to make buffs and debuffs that can increase or lower a target's "Armor Class", or AC -- an exact number that must be met or exceeded to hit something. I already have the hit formula figured out to simulate a dice roll with modifiers to hit something's AC, as per the game system.

The problem is, however, that I need to increase or decrease these bonuses by precise numbers, as opposed to percentages, in-game. For instance, I need a "Shield" spell that raises the user's AC by +4, which would correlate to raising the DEF score (which I'm using as AC for this hit % formula) from, say, 12 to 16 in this case. If I were to use a percentage-based system, it'd be a ludicrous boost if I gave a version of this to a high-AC hero (a 50% bonus would cause 18 AC to become 27, for example -- impossible to hit with normal attacks with my system with the proportions used in-game).

All-in-all, hoping for a way to give an exact numerical boost (i.e. +4) to a built-in stat as opposed to a percentage-based one (i.e +50%). I'd imagine there's a way to do it in a Skill's damage formula, and am hoping so instead of having to rely on a script? I'm not as well-versed in damage formulas using VX Ace or MV as I'd hoped, if so.

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Actually, this will take a script, as ACE and MV were never designed to do + or - those base stats in a state. However, if you can use a xparam or such to mimic AC, then you can just add to them. But that would take a script in the first place to even replace an xparam with AC anyways.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

I couldn't have Taco Bell, so I grabbed a giant piece of strawberry cheesecake instead.
Guys one of our Animal Crossing Villagers (Sherb) just told us that he hoped that the villager who was having her birthday had as memorable of a birthday as his sixth birthday. Which was "the one where the clown went into our house and never came back" and that "his mother says she still sometimes hears the honking in the walls".
My tutor has been furloughed for 8 weeks. If we are too... sucks, but it's a lot of game making time...
Social distancing extended for another week. Personally I'm cool, but this is depressing.
GOOOOD MOOORNING!
APRIL WILL BE BETTER!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
U_do_Dad_Jokes