Example of Lighthearted JRPG?

Discussion in 'General Lounge' started by Neka Music, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Neka Music

Neka Music Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    Empty
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    May contain spoilers

1. Grandia
    I played this game for 10 hours, and I have never finished this game but from the atmosphere I can feel the light-hearted sense of it. This game is full of energy and spirit.
    I've heard it will be released on steam (2019). I'd like to try it again.

2. Legend of the Heroes Trails of the Sky : First Chapter.
    I think this one is light-hearted, but the game is just too long, and too many irrevelant dialogue.

3. Final Fantasy IX.
    If I judge it on the world's background. Again, I never finished this game too.

How about yours?

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    #2 I agree with you there, though if you think the dialogue is not relevant in that game don't play Trails in the Sky SC. That one is 9 Chapters long and even worse on the dialogue. Plus I don't like the fact that I feel like I'm accomplishing nothing in that game as every chapter the bad guys get away again, and they did what they set out to do, again. It's like, why am I even here?

I've heard some suggest the Trails games, though the couple I've played tend to get pretty serious in the end.

3. Lornsteyn

Lornsteyn Sleepy Dragon Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RM2k3
    Doesnt mostly all RPGs start lighthearted?
    And then after while, when you love the world and the characters, evil emerge, one character of the party dies, tears, dramatic/sad music...

4. D.L. Yomegami

D.L. Yomegami Sanely Insane Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Final Fantasy IX is actually really dark if you look past the colorful exterior. Just off the top of my head I know at least three towns get blown up, a little kid has to come to terms with his own mortality, and towards the end things get a little philosophical.

If you want a lighthearted Final Fantasy game I'd recommend V instead. While dark things do happen, its atmosphere is generally humorous and it doesn't take itself too seriously most of the time.

If you really want lightheartedness, there's Earthbound. While the thing it's probably most known for definitely isn't lighthearted and there's certainly some dark undertones, most of the game is lovable, quirky humor. Then there's all the games Earthbound inspired. Undertale's probably the most notable; while that game again gets pretty dark towards the end, it's also mostly humorous and charming.

Of course, all this really depends on your definition of "lighthearted." I usually think of something that doesn't take itself too seriously and doesn't stray too far into darker territory most of the time.

5. TWings

TWings The Dragon Whisperer Veteran

First Language:
    French
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Maybe the Atelier series ?
    It's been a very long time since I played one of those, but I can't remember it beeing much dark. I mean, if I were to compare, Grandia gets much more "serious" than that.
    Another easy cadidate would be Pokemon.
    I can't think of much more right now. As "lighthearted" games are usually enjoyable mostly for children, I tend to not like them very much. I believe there are quite a few out there that I never played.

6. kirbwarrior

kirbwarrior Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Robotrek might be the most lighthearted rpg I've seen. It absolutely doesn't take itself seriously and generally stays charming throughout. Final Fantasy Mystic Quest is definitely lighthearted and as much as people dislike the ease, I'd definitely recommend it.

No spoilers, but yeah, IX is possibly the darkest Final Fantasy. It doesn't pull it's punches. There's even a trope based around it.

That is definitely important. You could call Dragon Quest as a series generally lighthearted (it's purposefully colorful, punny, and just fun to watch) but it can also be incredibly dark.

7. Darth Equus

Darth Equus Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVX
    Would Brave Fencer Musashi count? I always felt it was quite lighthearted and funny.

8. Poryg

Poryg Pixie of the Emvee kingdom Veteran

First Language:
    Czech
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Doom & Destiny is very lighthearted.