Exceeding the 48x48 character size?

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Kudin, Oct 19, 2015.

1. Kudin

Kudin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Hey there,

So I've been away from the RPG Maker scene for a good 10 years now. I used to play around with it back in the RPG Maker XP or 2000 days (I forget which I used), so that's honestly the last time I've had any sort of exposure to it. My mind is rusty on the details...So forgive me if what I'm about to ask is incredibly dense:

Can a character's walking sprite go beyond the constraints of 48 pixels? I know the dimensions are 48x48, but is there any way to make one of them reach beyond that?

I want to have a dog as a main playable character in my game. (He transforms and gains intelligence shortly after the game begins due to an ongoing plot element, so it actually works for the story).

The problem is, dogs are much longer and shorter than humans. We might be 48x48, but a dog might be something like 60x35.

Does that dog's sprite need to fit within the 48x48 size constraints too? If so, it's going to look very wonky, having a disproportionately-small animal following along.

What about battler sprites? Can it be larger there? (Speaking of which, what are the dimensions of a battler sprite? Are there any requirements there?)

I'm having something custom made but I don't know what sizes to tell the person to work with. Is this something I'd need to get a custom script made for?

Any answers would be much appreciated! Thank you and once again I apologize for my ignorance. :)

Your prize for reading this far; a picture of the pup in question (he's the white one; with his best bud):

10862480_4919783568139_5249930930848593603_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 19, 2015
  2. Missile

Missile Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    For character sprites, wouldn't be surprised if it was the usual beginning your filename with $ (like $ralphsprites.png) to use a bigger size. As long as the space between each sprite frame is consistent, any size should be fine.

Not sure on battler sprites, however. It looks similar to 2k3's, which I think had a size limit. It should be tweakable in the javascript, or with an animated battlers script (which will probably be inevitable).

Kudin likes this.
  3. noctiluca

noctiluca Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    If the human dimensions in your game are the default 48x48 a dog should fit into 48x32 or so, unless it's a Great Dane or something. Since the people are chibi the dog proportions are changed a bit to be consistent (ignore this if you plan on using more realistically proportioned human sprites). So it would fit into the standard sprite size, just leaving some blank space at the top.

I think the stock resources will have dog characters too, so you can take a look at those and then judge if you want your dog sprites bigger. If you use up all of the 48 pixels in the width you might want to make it 64 wide for extra padding, but the wider the sprite is the more likely you will have to fix the collision as well...

Kudin likes this.
  4. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Your sprites can be any size you want them to be. Just remember, if you go bigger than the default, the whole thing won't show up in the editor window (but will when you play), the collision is still based on 48x48 tiles, and there will be overlapping when you stand next to certain things, like buildings or trees.

Candacis, Chaos17 and Kudin like this.
  5. Kudin

Kudin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thanks for the response!

That makes sense. Since this character will never be the main playable character aside from possibly being used once in a puzzle situation, I guess that would effectively eliminate the mapping issues since he will only be caterpillar following, correct? That is, unless somebody gets wise and decides to switch to him as the main sprite that's walking. 

I suppose there's no way to increase the collision range based on one single unit, is there? If not, I'll just have to get a little bit more creative...Instead of a puzzle, it can just be a "go through that hole and grab that key!" or something. 

I think I'll test the collision out once MV releases by making a random blue box sprite and walking around with it on a map. 

Perhaps noct was right: I could just fit him into the constraints. Maybe it won't look as weird as I'm thinking. He'll just be a bit smaller than what the scale actually would be, but that's okay. He'll be accurately scaled in size with his battler animation, where it counts the most. 

*edit*

Sorry, typo. Wrote "crap" instead of "grab". Hilarious but entirely unintentional. X_X

6. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Doesn't matter whether he's the leader, a follower, or a sprite on an event. If he's bigger than 48x48, he's going to overlap tiles. So no, it doesn't eliminate the mapping issues. This assumes you have followers visible on the map. There is a command to disable formation - which will stop the player making this character the main character on the map. So if you have followers not visible, and formation disabled, then it shouldn't be a problem.

lol @ your edit!

Kudin likes this.
  7. Mikuri

Mikuri Princess Veteran

First Language:
    French
    You could also event it, with tiles zones maybe. Like x caracter can only walk on zone 2 tiles. Might be a little heavy to check every tiles, but if it's only for a certain map or something, maybe it could help.

8. Candacis

Candacis Pixel Pusher Restaff

First Language:
    German
    In general, I find it easier having a sprite that is higher than 48 (or 32 for Ace) than have it being wider. Neon Black did a Large Display Fix script for Ace (http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/22243-large-sprite-%E2%98%86-display-fix/), and I'm reeeeally hoping a similiar will be done for MV.

But I wouldn't worry so much about the dog sprite. Just wait and see what dog will be already available in MV and see if it isn't too your liking.

9. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Except if you use the grid size changer to make the cells the size of the sprites, right?  The collision dection would auto scale to the size of the cells, right? If that Isn't the case, is there a way to easily change the collision detection of the engine?

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    That would require you to also change all your tilesets to be the new size as well. Not worth it for a single character imo.

Collision detection is based on grid coordinates and has nothing to do with the size of tiles.

I don't think any of the pixel movement scripts for Ace have pixel-based collision yet. And how would it know whether it's something it should collide with and stop movement, vs something it's okay to show up in front of? RM doesn't have the concept of "height" of objects as in a 3D world.

11. Zoltor

Zoltor Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Yes ofcourse, I was just making sure that was the case, but yes, that would be silly to go though for just a single sprite, since it would screw up the collision detection for everything else in the game.

"Collision detection is based on grid coordinates and has nothing to do with the size of tiles" Yea that's what I assumed, just making sure the engine auto scales to collision detection.

12. Kudin

Kudin Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Thank you for the feedback and input, everyone!

It seems like the best 2 options at this point are:

1) Disable followers and formation (which I didn't know was even possible by default).

or

2) Make the dog fit within the 48x48 size. 

Honestly, I think no matter what, I'll get rid of followers. I never really liked that style, (sans Earthbound). I still do like the ability to have the player cycle through the characters as the walking sprite, so I think I'd rather keep that option and make the dog fit within the 48x48 constraints rather than anything else.