Jenova

Because you are...a puppet!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I am trying to make a practice area that you can battle monsters and gain Gold and Exp from. Two things I wanted to know:
  1. Can you make the troops/enemies in that area at half their original EXP/Gold output WITHOUT creating a new Enemy/troop?
  2. Is there a way to take half the amount of EXP/Gold you earned when leaving the area as compensation so it isnt abused?
Thanks. ~Jenova

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
1a. Halving the experience gained is easy: make a state with no icon (so the player doesn't see it) with a trait: Sp-Parameter Experience * 50%. Apply this state to the entire party when they enter the area, remove it when they exit~ :kaopride:

1b. Halving the gold is...less easy. There's a "double gold" trait (under Other > Party Ability), but not a "half gold" one. :kaosigh: One solution could be to invert it: make the state double exp & gold, add it to the party at the start of the game, and temporarily remove it when you're in the practice area. That would also require you to halve the normal exp/gold values you've got so far to balance out the "double" traits. Not sure it's worth it. :kaoslp:

2. When the party enters the area, you can store the amount of gold in a variable (Control Variables > Game Data > Other > Gold), and the same thing with each party member's experience (Control Variables > Game Data > Actor > EXP). So if there are four party members, that will be five variables in total. Then when they go to leave:
  • Subtract the current values of gold/exp from the appropriate variables (this will give negative values if they have increased);
  • Divide each variable by two (because you want to take half of it);
  • Multiply each variable by -1 so it's a positive number (not sure how "add" gold/exp commands work with negative numbers, better to play safe);
  • Use Change Gold/Change Experience commands with the Operand set to the appropriate variable in each case.

I think I'd suggest using option #1a for the experience gains and option #2 to deal with the gold; that way you only need 1 new state & 1 variable. :kaoswt:

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
1a. Halving the experience gained is easy: make a state with no icon (so the player doesn't see it) with a trait: Sp-Parameter Experience * 50%. Apply this state to the entire party when they enter the area, remove it when they exit~ :kaopride:

1b. Halving the gold is...less easy. There's a "double gold" trait (under Other > Party Ability), but not a "half gold" one. :kaosigh: One solution could be to invert it: make the state double exp & gold, add it to the party at the start of the game, and temporarily remove it when you're in the practice area. That would also require you to halve the normal exp/gold values you've got so far to balance out the "double" traits. Not sure it's worth it. :kaoslp:

2. When the party enters the area, you can store the amount of gold in a variable (Control Variables > Game Data > Other > Gold), and the same thing with each party member's experience (Control Variables > Game Data > Actor > EXP). So if there are four party members, that will be five variables in total. Then when they go to leave:
  • Subtract the current values of gold/exp from the appropriate variables (this will give negative values if they have increased);
  • Divide each variable by two (because you want to take half of it);
  • Multiply each variable by -1 so it's a positive number (not sure how "add" gold/exp commands work with negative numbers, better to play safe);
  • Use Change Gold/Change Experience commands with the Operand set to the appropriate variable in each case.

I think I'd suggest using option #1a for the experience gains and option #2 to deal with the gold; that way you only need 1 new state & 1 variable. :kaoswt:

WOW. I never thought of this. Thanks. :) I will try this.

Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I am trying to make a practice area that you can battle monsters and gain Gold and Exp from. Two things I wanted to know:
  1. Can you make the troops/enemies in that area at half their original EXP/Gold output WITHOUT creating a new Enemy/troop?
  2. Is there a way to take half the amount of EXP/Gold you earned when leaving the area as compensation so it isnt abused?
Thanks. ~Jenova

May I ask why you don't want to create new troops? Just making a new set up of monsters with a matter of copying/pasting would seem easier to do.

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
May I ask why you don't want to create new troops? Just making a new set up of monsters with a matter of copying/pasting would seem easier to do.

Because the area will be updated every time I add new monsters. That would take a lot of time. I do beta releases and I try to get them out on a weekly/bi-weekly basis. This way, it takes a step out that would be cumbersome and time consuming.

@caethyril

Would it be like this?

lgqpTRx.gif

Woops, wrong.

I noticed the third CV wasn't being divided.
UDICpV0.png

Last edited:

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So I've decided to do what @Martin_Arcainess suggested as the other solution is way too difficult and I have no idea what to do since its vague. Like my label says, I am a beginner. Thanks anyway @caethyril

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Oops, sorry. :kaoswt2: I'll try to clarify in case you (or anyone else who's confused) want(s) to use this approach.

When entering the practice area:
Code:
◆Control Variables:#0001 Gold Cost = Gold
Then when leaving:
Code:
◆Control Variables:#0001 Gold Cost -= Gold
◆Control Variables:#0001 Gold Cost /= 2
◆Control Variables:#0001 Gold Cost *= -1
◆Change Gold:- {Gold Cost}
All variable operations are reflexive, i.e. you start with a variable, subtract/divide/multiply/whatever some value, and store the result back in the original variable. I think the maths itself is fairly basic here, but I might be biased...

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Oops, sorry. :kaoswt2: I'll try to clarify in case you (or anyone else who's confused) want(s) to use this approach.

When entering the practice area:
Code:
◆Control Variables:#0001 Gold Cost = Gold
Then when leaving:
Code:
◆Control Variables:#0001 Gold Cost -= Gold
◆Control Variables:#0001 Gold Cost /= 2
◆Control Variables:#0001 Gold Cost *= -1
◆Change Gold:- {Gold Cost}
All variable operations are reflexive, i.e. you start with a variable, subtract/divide/multiply/whatever some value, and store the result back in the original variable. I think the maths itself is fairly basic here, but I might be biased...

OH, I had this down, but all as one event. Two separate events would have been better. Will the Gold Cost Variable = gold for the rest of the game once leaving ?

Welcome to RPG Maker! Where a lot of time will be devoted to making games!

Figured that, but this is just proof of concept for myself and people that know me. So it's not something I'm looking to work alot on. Just wanted to know if I could make a small game that people would like playing and see if it somehow might take off? I mean, I kinda doubt it seeing as how I'm using basic assests and easy plug-ins. I hardly know html. Java is a ways away from me. So getting into code and algebraic math isn't really something I have time or patience for. :/

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
OH, I had this down, but all as one event. Two separate events would have been better. Will the Gold Cost Variable = gold for the rest of the game once leaving ?
Yes, variables keep their values until you change them. =)

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yes, variables keep their values until you change them. =)

So doing something like this:

oTLreAP.png

will change it until I reenter the area right? Does the trigger matter in this case?

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
The event trigger just affects when the event runs. Also, in your screenshot you have "variable %= 0" which means "set variable equal to the remainder after dividing it by zero"...probably not what you meant? Try the "Set" operator instead. ^_^

What I've been assuming: you have an event, A, that transfers the player to a "practice area" map. On that map, you have another event, B, that transfers the player back out again. With this setup, you'd set the "gold" variable in event A (so it remembers the gold you had when entering), and do the "maths & remove gold" stuff in event B (so it takes the gold off you only when you leave).

With that in mind: if you are still having issues, I think it might help if you could explain how you've got your events set up. :kaoswt:

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
The event trigger just affects when the event runs. Also, in your screenshot you have "variable %= 0" which means "set variable equal to the remainder after dividing it by zero"...probably not what you meant? Try the "Set" operator instead. ^_^

What I've been assuming: you have an event, A, that transfers the player to a "practice area" map. On that map, you have another event, B, that transfers the player back out again. With this setup, you'd set the "gold" variable in event A (so it remembers the gold you had when entering), and do the "maths & remove gold" stuff in event B (so it takes the gold off you only when you leave).

With that in mind: if you are still having issues, I think it might help if you could explain how you've got your events set up. :kaoswt:

Sorry, I didn't mean to talk about the trigger. I was overthinking the way I set up my events.

Basically what I have is you talk to a person, they grant you access, you take a portal and enter the practice area.

ZajJu39.png

Then an event starts off by setting the "Practice Area Gold" (PAG from now on) and gives a bit of dialog of how the area works. It then self-switches to a new page that sets up the states for the Practice Area (Immortality and half exp rate).

LmokBxk.png

fWFMdtR.png

Then after practice is done, you talk to a person and they transfer you to the front of the building where you can continue to do whatever it is you want. Before teleportation I set up the variables for the gold and after transformation I took the buffs away (I hate small things like that).

4PAAu2V.png

The trigger I was asking about was supposed to be: Will the event trigger EVERY TIME I enter the practice area? I have it set as Parallel. (Lots of useless info, but its better to know what I am doing rather than assuming).

Also, I had used Mod for some strange reason. I set it back to Set. :confused:

Aloe Guvner

Walrus
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Also, I had used Mod for some strange reason. I set it back to Set.
Yeah, be careful with that one.
Mod isn't short for 'modify', it's actually short for "modulo", which is very useful in specific cases but you probably won't encounter those cases much in eventing.

Alisu

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Finnish
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Variables are just variables and as long as you don't use them to anything else it doesn't matter what values they have in them. When players leave and you make the gold adjustment to their inventory, you don't need to "reset" the variable, you can just leave it to have whatever value it has. The next time to are going to use it is when the player enter the area the next time, and you are gonna set it again then, so whatever was left resting there will not matter.

Also,which event are you having as paraller, and is it necessary?

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Variables are just variables and as long as you don't use them to anything else it doesn't matter what values they have in them. When players leave and you make the gold adjustment to their inventory, you don't need to "reset" the variable, you can just leave it to have whatever value it has. The next time to are going to use it is when the player enter the area the next time, and you are gonna set it again then, so whatever was left resting there will not matter.

Also,which event are you having as paraller, and is it necessary?

Oh. I didn't know that. I thought it would continue to stack up and then use that stack as part of the equation and return that value once you exited the practice area. :eyes:

For the parallel question: The spoiler with the Practice Area Event 1 label. Will it say that every time I enter?

caethyril

^_^
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
EN
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Parallel (and autorun) events start automatically and keep repeating while active. If you want it to run once every time you enter the map, you can put an Erase Event command at the end; it'll be back the next time you visit. If you want it to run once per playthrough, you can turn on a switch to change the event page, like you would with a typical treasure chest event.

If you're not sure what I mean about event pages, try right-clicking the map in event-editing mode and choosing Quick Event Creation > Treasure. Use the simple options provided to make the event then have a look at the result. =3

Like @Alisu says, I'm not sure a parallel event is necessary here, but it should work fine. =)

bgillisp

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One thing to be careful of with this idea: If anyone is KO'd in the battle arena then revived the invisible state will be removed and they will get full EXP from there out, KO removes ALL states from the player but the KO state. You'll need a plug-in to change it so that some states stay when you are KO'd to fix this.

Jenova

Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Parallel (and autorun) events start automatically and keep repeating while active. If you want it to run once every time you enter the map, you can put an Erase Event command at the end; it'll be back the next time you visit. If you want it to run once per playthrough, you can turn on a switch to change the event page, like you would with a typical treasure chest event.

If you're not sure what I mean about event pages, try right-clicking the map in event-editing mode and choosing Quick Event Creation > Treasure. Use the simple options provided to make the event then have a look at the result. =3

Like @Alisu says, I'm not sure a parallel event is necessary here, but it should work fine. =)

I actually got a notification that you responded, but I didn't even take a look at this. It prolly would have helped. Although I figured it out on my own without using the Treasure Chest. Took about an hour just to figure it out. LOL.

One thing to be careful of with this idea: If anyone is KO'd in the battle arena then revived the invisible state will be removed and they will get full EXP from there out, KO removes ALL states from the player but the KO state. You'll need a plug-in to change it so that some states stay when you are KO'd to fix this.

This is good to know. Although its not a battle arena. Its actually just for practice. I have it set up to where all the characters are immortal (they hit 0 HP but wont die) and have a healing pad if someone wishes to use it.

Here is the state how i defined it:

ntpkB3V.png

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

Us:
"This game is awesome! I wish there are more games like this in the future."
Also us:
"I hate how games stopped being original and start copying other successful games."
Should've done this a few days ago but...
PRI_200136808.jpg
Rest in Peace, Sir Clive Sinclair
1940 - 2021
Entrepreneur, Technologist, Father of the Modern British Computing Industry, and protagonist of Legend of ZUN.

Without you, England's games and tech industry wouldn't be where it is.
Woof, haven't touched any game-making elements in a couple of weeks I think.
Doing a thing in MV...

R3PuRjF.png

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MechaWitch