Experiencing a bug with Touch Events since v1.3.0

Discussion in 'RPG Maker MV' started by Jenovation, Dec 9, 2016.

1. Jenovation

Jenovation Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Hi,

I've been experiencing an occasional bug/glitch every since RMMV 1.3 and up.

Sometimes when the player moves onto a Touch Event, the event does not start immediately, sometimes allowing the player to even move past the event.

For example, the player will step on a Transfer event but nothing will happen until moving back and forward over the same event,

or the player will move past the Touch event but still trigger it, causing Movement Routes and other cutscene mechanics to screw up.

Has anyone experienced this before and any ideas why it's happening? Only been tested in Test Play.

Thanks!

2. bgillisp

bgillisp Global Moderators Global Mod

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Player touch or event touch? I've ran into this before with event touch/below player on version 1.1, but only with events that can move. Seems the engine is waiting for the event to finish moving before processing, and that is the problem.

However, I fixed it by changing my events to event touch/same as player. Maybe try that?

Edit: However, if you mean player touch, I've had no problems with it so far. Maybe post the event in question so we can see what is going on?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 9, 2016
  3. Jenovation

First Language:
    English
    Nope, I'm only talking about Player Touch events, which are the main way I trigger cutscenes and events to happen. Never had this problem before, and now replaying the same parts of the game it just seems like they don't load in time, but they also don't stop the player from moving over it or off of it.

Very strange....

4. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    check if the player is set to through somehow - if you made that in a parallel process for example, the player would ignore all such events both for triggering and movement

5. Jenovation

First Language:
    English
    It is not, everything is as it should be. The Player Touch events are simply not consistently responsive to the player moving over them...

6. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Please read my tutorial on bughunting (linked in my signature).

There is no random effect in the computer - that is technically impossible, everything has a cause. You just haven't found the cause yet.

And if our tips so far have not helped, then you need to begin a systematic search for the cause, checking everything (even things you don't imagine to cause this) until you found the cause. That tutorial was written to give people the knowledge on how to proceed with bughunting.

And if something appears to be inconsistent, then usually parallel processes and timing problems are part of the cause.

Just as an example of a bughunt I solved about 17 years ago in computer support, where some customers reported strange lines when going to DOS:

It was a wrong mouse driver under Win98 that caused the display error in DOS-Mode. No one would have guessed that, and it took me an hour checking every possible cause to find that by accident (actually I told the customer "I have absolutely no idea of what might have caused this, but I see that you have the wrong mouse driver installed, the correct one is..." - and after the change the customer reported that the problem was solved, and we were able to confirm that on our test devices)

If everything would be as it should be, you wouldn't have this problem - you need to find out where that problem is caused.

7. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    How long is the delay? I too have noticed a *slight* delay on all events in 1.3.1 (which is why I'm still on ACE, as it made the game feel laggy), but I think the delay was under a second in all cases.

Also, can you post one of the events that is being a little sluggish? Maybe there's something in there that is off that we can see. And check your plug-ins, one of them could be running before the event processes, making it seem slower than usual.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 10, 2016
  8. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Do you have any plugins?  Can you confirm that the issue is happening on a brand new project with NO plugins activated?

9. Jenovation

First Language:
    English
    I've tested with all plugins turned off and it is still happening. What is in the event I'm not sure if it is relevant cause it happens with events even that only have one command (such as transfer player)

Here is the weird thing, it just happens (and not always) as I start up the Test Play (and load any game) once the game is started up and I reload a save file or don't close down the test play window, all events seem to react fine. However once I close the Test Play, and start it up again at first the behaviour is the same.

It really feels like some kind of loading issue... also it's easier to go past the event using dashing, on normal walk it's more likely the touch event will successfully trigger.

10. Shaz

Shaz Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Are you making changes to that map between playing, saving and reloading?  Like, are you adding these 'problem' events to the map in that time? 

11. Jenovation

First Language:
    English
    No, the maps are unchanged, and they are maps that have been working fine for months, including with all plugins installed.

12. Andar

Andar Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    German
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Have you tried testing the problem on a different computer, especially one that is more modern and powerfull?

Such a problem can be caused by lag that is not yet detectable for the player (when the computer operates the game at the very limit before slowdown), and the easiest way to check for that is to test the project on different computers (assuming they have different capacities)

13. Jenovation

First Language:
    English
    Thanks, I will test Deployed version on my powerful machine. I am kind of hoping that's not the problem because the current machine I am working on I feel like should not be strong enough for something like an RMMV game. Then again I am not sure how optimized the engine is.

14. Jenovation

First Language:
    English
    Edit:

So I think I have found the issue, I thought I had tested with all the plugins turned off but after lots of testing I found out that it is a result of Yanfly's Region Event plugin with very high certainty. I will refer to him with the bug report.

Thanks for all the help guys.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 16, 2016
  15. bgillisp

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMVXA
    Can you still show how you set up the touch event? The issue I had is the event was slow to run, but it was not possible to run past it at all (it just held you there until it ran). Might turn out it is more the set up than the region event plug in.