Experimental item crafting

Discussion in 'Javascript/Plugin Support' started by Hahasea, Sep 10, 2019.

1. Hahasea

Hahasea Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Hi all,

I was wondering how I would go about setting up a system where no crafting recipes are included in the menu unless the player actually tries to combine them. I want to leave crafting open to player experimentation, so if they find a gem and a rock and a stick, they can try and mash them together and see what happens. Might be a useful tool, might be an explosion, might be nothing at all.

I'm currently using YR Item Crafting, which is great, but currently only allows you to craft from established recipes in the crafting menu. So the player must have unlocked the recipe, and already knows which items are required for this.

The idea is that I will have an invisible log of the recipes for every possible combination of items in my game (a lot of work I know, but it's an ideal way of doing things with my particular narrative). The player could then choose up to 3 items to use to try and craft, with varying levels of success. Once they complete that particular craft attempt, the recipe/result would be recorded in the Crafting Book in the menu.

I'm basically trying to figure out whether there's a way to craft by selecting items rather than recipes. Maybe I've explained enough ha!

*Edit*
    Have been mulling this over and wondering if I could possibly do this by combing YR Item Crafting with some eventing. Does anyone know if you can use events to call on items from the item menu, and how you might do that?

2. standardplayer

standardplayer Keeper of Kitties Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I'm not 100% sure if this is what you mean, but if you use the Event Command 'Select Item' (Page 1, under the Message heading) you can create a list of Regular Items, Key Items or Hidden items, have the player select one, and choose what variable it's ID get's stored in. It doesn't have to be one, either, you can call the command multiple times and use different variable id's to store the selected item ID's.

Starbird_Resources likes this.
  3. Hahasea

Hahasea Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @standardplayer Ok, that seems like a lead in the right direction, perhaps I could use this with YEP's Common Event Menu plugin. Any idea if you can create a list that will only show the items in the possession of the player?

To elaborate though on what I mean, best case scenario I'd love it if you could select a couple of items straight out the item menu to craft. Like if you click on an item, a selection option saying something like 'Add to crafting?' would pop up, and you could perform the crafting straight out of the items menu, without having to work out of a crafting recipe book (which is what all the crafting plugins I've seen basically are).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
  4. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    I mean yeah, that's possible, but if you wanted it to happen through the regular Item menu, it would require a plugin, probably custom made and not pre-existing. If you truly need to go that route, you'd have to post in the JS request thread.
    I don't understand what you mean, though. That Select Item command already creates a list of only the Items you have in your inventory, if you select 'Regular Items' from the drop down. It only creates menus out of stuff the party has in possession, regardless of which category.

5. Hahasea

Hahasea Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @standardplayer Ah, sorry, I didn't realise the Select Item command only lists items in inventory, I assumed you'd have to list items individually, my bad.

I don't necessarily need it to work out of the default item menu, equally happy to create a new item menu with this functionality through eventing & plugins, and hide the default one. Just wanted to explain the functionality I'm after.

6. standardplayer

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    N/A
    Gotcha, well if what I understand about your request is accurate, I think the select Item feature will definitely help you.
    It will be a lot of work, though, and it may not have any assistance from the YR Item crafting plugin. What I mean is it might be entirely stand alone.
    Ultimately it sounds doable. Might be worth it to request a plugin for it, though. Then you could even ask to get it added to the item menu. Idealistically, you'd still work on your event method, but maybe you'll get lucky and someone will pick up the request, it's worth a shot at getting what you really want. Can't hurt to ask.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Hahasea likes this.
  7. Hahasea

Hahasea Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    @standardplayer Yep totally true, will put in a request now. Have been playing with YEP's Common Events and reaching some road blocks, so it would definitely be great if a plugin request was picked up!