GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
One of the holes in the Time Fantasy graphics set is the lack of face sets / portraits that fit that style.

I was inspired by the face bases that @Des abandoned and the samples that @StrawberrySmiles showed in another thread, so I thought I would see what I could do. I'm not a pixel artist, or even a professional artist, but I do have some background in art.

I wondered what it might look like if the Ace generator parts were converted to the Time Fantasy style, so I took Face01 and one set of eyes, ears, noses, mouths, and eyebrows scaled them down by 1/2 and recolored them with the Time Fantasy color palette, taken from Des's sprite bases and abandoned faces. I didn't tackle hair yet, but here's what I've got so far:

And here it is scaled back up 2X to the Ace generator size:

I'm not sure yet if I like how it looks. But I've been tinkering with this all afternoon, so I'm probably too close to it for an objective opinion. So what do you guys think? Am I onto something here? Should I continue experimenting with this and try some hair, or does this just not look good? I'm concerned about whether or not it fits with the Time Fantasy style...

jonthefox

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
I think it looks great, and fits perfectly with the TF style.

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hehehe, thanks. :D

I like their eyes and noses! It fits perfectly, as the above poster said!

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's an interesting idea... I don't think they look bad at all man. Better than no Facesets at all, imo.

I'm going to take a look at this after work today and find out if it'd be worth converting all the resources and just using that generator.

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks, folks!

I went ahead and converted RearHair01a this morning, and here's what they look like now. I think this idea could work.

The trick will be to get the faces that match the existing Time Fantasy sprites. Some of the Ace generator hair pieces and clothes just aren't going to work. I think we'll need to create some new hair pieces and clothes based on the sprites, so they will match. But hopefully that won't be too difficult.

@Neo Soul Gamer - Are you thinking there's a way to automate the conversion? Right now I'm doing it by hand, which isn't difficult, but is time-consuming. I don't mind doing it, but if there's a way to automate it somehow, that would be terrific!

Last edited:

Arcmagik

Game Developer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
This is awesome!

BloodletterQ

Chaotic Neutral Assassin
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
They look so good in TF-style.

Neo Soul Gamer

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
@GolfHacker Took a look at trying to automate the process, but unfortunately it doesn't look nearly as good. Do you have photoshop? If you change the "Image Mode" to RGB. there's an option to replace/load a color palette. That might help speed things along.

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Thanks for investigating! I'm using GIMP, but I will see if there is an equivalent option.

Pine Towers

Knight Hospitaller
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Really great work here! I can see this being used on TF games, and they fit the style I want. Keep up the good work, and don't forget to layer it all so maybe you could convert the generator to this pieces!

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Pine Towers - it's definitely layered! I'm keeping the pieces separate, and plan to save them in separate files with the original file names so they can just be dropped into Ace's generator directory.

--------

Edit: the fruits of today's labor - the files I've converted so far IN THE ACE GENERATOR:

Of course, the colors in the dropdowns don't exactly match the actual hair colors and skin tones. The hair colors are not so bad - most of the sprites have hair colors of the same types, even if the colors don't precisely match those in the editor dropdown. However, there is only one character in the Time Fantasy set who has green hair, but there are 2 different sets of colors used for red-heads (a bright red, similar to the Ace RTP, and an orange). So I chose to use the orange rather than green. Of course, that means when you pick green hair in the Ace generator dropdown, you're going to get orange. Here are the different hair colors:

If people are recoloring sprites a lot to give them green hair, I can always provide green. Or you can recolor the hair pieces yourself.

I've also got an alternate version of this file using some other hair colors from the Time Fantasy characters, as well as some hair colors used exclusively in the new Dwarves and Elves pack.

Skin tones are another issue, though. The Ace generator provides 4 different human skin tones, but Time Fantasy only uses 2. I wasn't sure quite what to do with the other 2, so I used the skin tones from the vampire and orcs:

So now that I've got the generator files and colors figured out, it's just a matter of converting the rest of the generator parts.

Last edited:

hiddenone

Lurker Extraordinaire
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
english
Primarily Uses
RMMZ
Looks like an interesting project, the faces really look like they'd work well with Time Fantasy. Have you made any more progress?

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I have, thanks for asking! :aswt:

I finished the other part of Rear Hair 01, plus a beard. I also included a snapshot of a TF sprite it might work with:

And Rear Hair 02, and one of the TF sprites that it might work with:

The converted face sets from the Ace generator might not match exactly, but I think they could work for some sprites...

Zabu

Prince of light
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Français
Primarily Uses
N/A
That's a nice job mate!

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I finished Rear Hair 07 today, which might work with this TF sprite:

I also converted the other two beards (though they're just mustaches, really), and 6 of the 8 male mouths.

I'm starting to build up a nice collection of generator pieces. I'm hoping to have most of the basic male face pieces done by this weekend (eyes, ears, noses, and mouths), and perhaps some eyebrows and a front hair piece or two. At that point, I will create a resource thread and post everything I have so far. Then I'll add to it over the coming weeks. And if anyone wants to use what I've got so far, or maybe even build upon it with some new content (custom hair pieces, clothes, and hats), they can start doing so.

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
With Sharm's permission, I'm posting another update.

I finished converting all of the ears, male mouths, and male noses today!

As I mentioned earlier, one of the skin tones I chose was orc green from the Time Fantasy Monsters pack. At this point, I have enough generator pieces converted to give you a decent idea of what an orc would look like using the Ace generator. This also shows off one of the ears, noses, and mouths that I converted today:

Hope you like it! Tomorrow I'll start converting the rest of the male eyes.

StrawberrySmiles

The Talking Fruit
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Yay! Congrats! Although I'm making my own facesets, I wonder if these would help with minor characters for me...?

*thinks, but downloads them anyway*

GolfHacker

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Hope they help! I've got more conversions in the works, but had to take a break due to an increased workload at my real job and a death in the family. I should be able to get back to it after Easter.

kaukusaki

Awesome Programmer Extraordinaire
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Great job!
Keep up the awesome work!

Take care and my condolences.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

um... why didn't anyone tell how easy it is to add motions to Sideview battlers? I literally copied the last one, changed the name and index, said where it should play, and boom... I've got intro motions.
Lately when I listen to 1970s songs, I always think that the "real world" is still at mid 70s. What we experience now is a futuristic dream. With this point of view, even 80s and 90s looks super futuristic. :D

The GIF of this seemed too cool to bury in replies. :LZSwink:
You may have slept with my aunt... but, given the circumstances, cheers.

- Professor Ian Duncan, 2013

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lamand