Export doesn't load images or data even if present (RESOLVED TO SATISFACTION)

Status
Not open for further replies.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Very annoyed by a sudden loss of functionality here. What is happening is that I used to be able to export my projects and they would work as usual. Now for some reason I decided to rename my nw.js launcher for the purpose of game identity and things started to go haywire on me ever since that. I've tried everything to get a working export since then but it's getting to where even if I use an unmodified and unaltered nw.js launcher I can't get the game to work properly, and in fact it's completely bricked.

I don't get the issue with this. Everything works fine in MV through normal testing, but regardless of the nw.js version the game crashes during the identification card sequence. Changing that in turn forces me to do likewise with all of my plugins, and ultimately when I do get the game to launch it's completely unplayable because the tutorial mission also fails to load properly. Worse yet is that regardless of whether the files are in the right place or not - it simply doesn't work no matter what.

Any ideas on a fix?

EDIT: Dumb question - it was expecting the presence of encrypted image and sound data. Once I settled on a workaround for encrypting the necessary files while also stripping out the ones that are not required, I now have everything working to specification (well, aside from a few incompatible plugins at least... but sadly that part is for an entirely separate discussion).

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
there are a lot of possibilities, but we can't help you without details of what you did or screenshots of the error messages from crashes.

That said my guess would be that you messed up with the networking rules for filenames and foldernames.
For a HTML5-based game to load all files correctly, not only every filename but also every foldername up to the drive letter has to obey the networking rules (which means only latin letters, arabic numbers and a very limited set of special signs like !$_). A single space in a foldername above the project folders is enough to prevent browsers from loading files correctly.
Yes, Windows has an override - but that works badly and only partially and is the reason why every space is replaced by %20 in all error messages - because the browser can't handle the space even in its error messages.

And the playtest of the editor redirects the folderpath (check the windows title) exactly because of too many bug reports when the user made the mistake of placing the project inside a folderpath which broke the networking rules and works under windows only.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I checked on that already, and even going straight into the export path (instead of the system library) doesn't help. Again, this basically just started - the initial portions of the game are held up by the following error report:

Code:
Failed to load: img/chaincmd/bg.png
This occurs for every plugin in the game with no regard for data location, so chaincmd can be replaced with layers, bosshp etc. As for the path name, there's nothing to indicate a problem but that doesn't mean something else ain't happening. For the avoidance of doubt, here's the export path:

Code:
C:\Users\bZero\Documents\Output\win64\gameName
Note that gameName and bZero are not actually in the path - they're used as placeholder terms for privacy reasons. However I can confirm that the actual path is structured in exactly the same way.

EDIT: I also checked to see if it was a data issue (for some reason the files didn't make it over to the package I tested with) and yet I still have a problem. I'll try it from the volume root this time and see if anything changes.

EDIT 2: I copied the export to the volume root so that it reads C:\Advent (since the actual export path is a holdover from my original concept and now serves as the code name for development) but unfortunately I'm still having problems even with that. I've never had this big of a problem, and not even updating all of my test systems to use the same nw.js version can fix this one. My only remaining idea is to run it on my low-end (which doesn't yet have the current export) and hopefully that will rule out any packaging issues.

Last edited:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
\gameName
that points out to another case of the differences between Windows and other operating systems.

For everything but Windows, abc.png and ABC.png are two different files. ONLY Windows has that idiotic override that looks for the wrong file and loads it if you have a capitalization difference.
So if you tell your program to load ABC.png and it doesn't find it, it reports "failed to load" because ABC.png doesn't exist. ONLY windows then says "stop, let's try to find if a file abc.png exists and load that other file with the wrong filename instead"
And you might now got into it from the other direction, that the capitalization difference in your directory name (gameName instead of gamename) causes the problem with the file not found.

However if that still doesn't help, then we need to see screenshots of the console output of the error message. But privacy in this case is excessive, because we need to see the true names of your folders to see if they break any of the networking rules. There are more than just the few I already mentioned.

Or if you are really worried, make a new directory for output that is simply c:\output\test\ and make sure that your gameName directory is that test and not your whatever name.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
If you read off my second edit, I already checked on that and it didn't do squat. My only other idea is to copy my current export to another test system in case there's a packaging problem during the MV export.

EDIT: The other system is being a pain for some reason and refuses to even start the game. Without a second system for testing purposes I'm basically stuck, nor do I want to cancel my game over a technical issue. Even running a standard sfc scan was useless in resolving the issue, so if Windows Update doesn't fix this I may very well be left without any other choice beyond ending development of my game. And considering that I'm among those who are suffering through layoffs because of the virus outbreak, I literally cannot afford to go out like this.

EDIT 2: As a compromise measure in consideration of the above issue, I decided to create a fresh project and migrate everything over, but unfortunately the problem's still unresolved. I'm running out of options here so I'm going to have to send you a link to my cloud store which I plan to send out soon. (Obviously you don't want to keep it for too long, just for enough time in terms of figuring out what happened. Much of this is still under construction and I can't have anything leak out so please treat this as a confidential matter).

EDIT 3: Message delivered.

Last edited:

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Well, looks like I'm out of ideas so I put a YouTube explanation together showing everything I did and at what time in the process. Here's a look at what happened throughout the process:

You can also go straight to the video page where I have timestamped the entire process.

EDIT: Some of you (including my initial contact for this) may be a bit sensitive to the video clip, so I'm adding in some video stills if you need to get straight to the point.

Title Card

Proper Startup

Library Position

File System Location

Attempt to Load in Export

Export Load Failure

Chain Command Plugin (as amended for purpose)

Chain Command Plugin (Trade Card)

Chain Command Plugin (MV Card)

nw.js test console from the MV editor

Generic Chromium failure (using Edge 2)

Generic Chromium Console

Last edited:

Shaz

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Have you tried to create a brand new project and copy your stuff over? All of the folders except js, then within the js folder, just the plugins.js file and the plugins folder.

If you want to give it the same name as the original, just rename the gamename folder that already exists, and you'll be able to reuse it.

BreakerZero

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English (USA)
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Doesn't seem to help my case. I'll try restarting the system to see if there's anything cached that I need to concern myself with, but otherwise I'm stuck.

EDIT: I just got a very sneaky idea and replaced the entire nw.js package in the primary output with the SDK version, and here's what happened:

Apparently based on this I have a feeling that it has to do with the www folder not being loaded correctly. Or in this case, the data encryption. I've already settled on a workaround process at this point, and should have things back in order soon.

EDIT 2: And that did the trick! Only issue now is that I had to switch off Babylon-JS and revert to UM7 because of unresolvable compatibility issues, but otherwise everything's good to go. A prerendered asset workaround has been added to the development plan to accommodate the limitations of my rendering provision.

Last edited:

mlogan

Global Moderators
Global Mod
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMMV

This thread is being closed, due to being solved. If for some reason you would like this thread re-opened, please report this post and leave a message why. Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

have another character sheet! ill probably add some more details before i make my thread for this project
Every time the official RMWeb account makes a post, I think it's @Eliaquim writing it!

It's driving me crazy, but it's also wonderfully hilarious.
// Looks at Elfkisser, realizes he'd have to either install Windows 10 or compile it for Linux
// Didn't install Elfkisser.
Too much effort for a curiosity. :popcorn:
I was just high-fiving myself for all I've learnt in the engine, and how far I've come, only to forget to remove the Immortal state from a semi-scripted battle. Now the enemy never dies and I feel so smart >.>
Playtest your stuff. Always playtest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gremter