Extension to Yanfly Engine Party System - Replace On Death

Discussion in 'JS Plugin Releases (RMMV)' started by wilminator, Sep 12, 2016.

1. wilminator

wilminator Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Update 2016-10-28: Fixed the Formation window so that at least one hero must be alive when exiting the window.  My thanks to willer111 for pointing it out.

Credit where credit is due- I got the idea from Yanfly's Party System engine and had originally written these changes into his code.  I was originally going to contact him to offer my changes as a contribution, but then I realized that I had made no actual changes to any of his work. So I split my code out and am offering it as an extension for his plugin.  I will also concede that the code format for my plugin is mostly a rip and duplicate effort based on his work.

This plugin enhances the Yanfly Engine Party System plugin by providing the option for live party members not involved in combat to replace dead members if everyone fighting dies.  It has two main options: allow the player to select a replacement party using the Formation menu, or randomly fill the combat team with random members that are not dead.  Before swapping out members, the game will display a customization message to let the player know what's going on.  This only works for actors *in* the party, so if you couldn't chose them from the Formation menu, you can't get them here either.

I'm releasing this as version 0.90; I'm not certain I'm happy with the way the way the combatants are replaced if the menu is not used and may want to see how I can better animate it.  I'm also not 100% certain that this code is fully functional.  While there are only a couple of options available for configuration,  I can't promise that it will work with all YEP plugins.  I know that it works with the Battle core and ActorPartySwitch extensions, primarily.

As of this time, there are no scripting commands to turn on or off any functionality.  I'm not interested in learning how to do that tonight.  :p

To use this plugin, please place it in your project's plugin folder with YEP_PartySystem.js and link my script beneath the PartySystem plugin.

View attachment YEP_X_PartyReplaceOnDeath.js

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 29, 2016
    TheTitan99, Val and ShadowHawkDragon like this.
  2. willer111

willer111 Hero Member

First Language:
    English
    Nice!

However, you can still select 'Finish' even when an actor is 'dead', which makes the 'party came out to rescue!'-message to appear then it instantly goes to the Formation screen again...

3. TheTitan99

TheTitan99 Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    What are the terms of use on this plugin? Free for all games, needs permission for commercial, or whatnot?

Tuomo L likes this.
  4. Tuomo L

Tuomo L Oldbie Veteran

First Language:
    Finnish
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV

I'd like to know this as well.

5. Doktor_Q

Doktor_Q I'm not a real doktor, but I am a real Q Veteran

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Will this stop a game over if your entire living party is wiped out in one attack, letting you swap in all new members?

6. wilminator

First Language:
    English
    My bad, I completely forgot about a license!  To keep things simple, I feel that the best license to use is the same one that applies to the original Yanfly Engine since it is where this originally came from.  The license can be read at http://yanfly.moe/terms-of-use/. As I apply it, in-game credit only needs to refer to the Yanfly Engine and not specifically to this component. If any changes are made to the script, the requirement to maintain proper credit remains.

As for permission, I hereby grant expressed permission for royalty free use in any game, distributed commercially or free.

Happy trails with this!  I personally would like to see what people create out there, at least so I know that this wasn't a drop in the bucket.

TheTitan99 likes this.
  7. wilminator

First Language:
    English
    --delete me please--

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 28, 2016
  8. wilminator

First Language:
    English
    It should.  My test was a custom suicide skill that killed off the party in one hit.

9. wilminator

First Language:
    English
    Ah, I see what you're saying.  I'll put some love into this and get you back on track.  Finish is not supposed to be an option if everyone is dead...

willer111 likes this.
  10. IamAnirbanBhar

IamAnirbanBhar Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Just what I was looking for. I have a question though. I'm using it as it automatically replace the party with next 4 party members upon death of 1st 4 actors. I don't want to choose them manually, and it's working fine. But what I want is it possible to replace immediately a dead actor upon dead with the next party actor? Because what I see is that the back up party arrives only after all 4 actors are dead. I want it like, suppose I have 8 actors, bur maximum 4 is active to battle like the default system, now when an actor dies the 5th actor will immediately join, if another actor dies the 6th actor will immediately join an so on.