External Text v3.3.4 (Write your game in an organized manner! Translate with ease!)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
then it's probably something in your text file that went wrong - can you attach that?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the key needs to be inside the text file, and the text file needs to be named like told in the instructions. additionally, you didn't remove the ! from the key when you removed them from the text command

Edit: every key of the hundreds you'll be using needs to be inside that single text file, you can't make a new file for a new key.

Last edited by a moderator:

Erkallys

Newbie to be great some day
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Okay so for one event, I have one single file, right ? Then all it a lot more clear  :D  ! Thank you very much, I'll test this out now.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Okay so for one event, I have one single file, right ? Then all it a lot more clear  :D  ! Thank you very much, I'll test this out now.
no - for every event in your entire game together you'll have a single file. Even if it is only one event for now, you'll have to add everything into that file.

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
no - for every event in your entire game together you'll have a single file. Even if it is only one event for now, you'll have to add everything into that file.

So how do I make the difference between the events ?

By the way, I still get some errors, can you show me a sample .txt file ?

Last edited by a moderator:

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that is what the keys are for - different events will use different keys.

And no, I'm not on the computer where my old projects are stored...

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
that is what the keys are for - different events will use different keys.

And no, I'm not on the computer where my old projects are stored...

So how do I name the project ?

Each change of character talking will have to get a script insert command ?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
yes, different texts will require different script commands

however, I checked the github for example text files and while there are none, I learned that in a newer version Enelvon enabled you to use several text files for better organisation.

But that does not change that the keys need to be inside the text files, and that you need different script commands to access different texts.

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
yes, different texts will require different script commands

however, I checked the github for example text files and while there are none, I learned that in a newer version Enelvon enabled you to use several text files for better organisation.

But that does not change that the keys need to be inside the text files, and that you need different script commands to access different texts.

I knew that it wasn't a pure fact of my imagination. How should a text file be named ?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
the name doesn't matter anymore, it will simply be ignored after loading the files content

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
So how does the script know which text file to load ?

Now I'm just waiting a sample file to understand the proper syntax.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
The key is unique so when it's called, there is (and should) only be one answer - one text for this key.

All those unique keys are stored inside one or multiple text files but each key must be unique, even if you use many text files, so the game can know which one to use.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Now I'm just waiting a sample file to understand the proper syntax.
The attached textfile was to be used for a (now abandoned due to MV) Ace-Project using the multi-language add-on to translate not only the show texts, but the entire database of the game project, and intended for use by several persons (which is why I included that many comments on the key structure)

It was also done with the External Text V2.2, so there might be some changes in the file structure compared to your 3.3.4

View attachment English.txt

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Finally it works ! What I had to do was to follow this format :

[Key] blablabla

TexteIci

What messed me up was the !x! and the fact that all was on the same line in the explanations.

ShinGamix

DS Style 4Ever!
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
April Fools
Primarily Uses
N/A
I almost forgot about this script!

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Sorry to bother again, but I have now another problem, minor, but that still blocks me in progressing in my game. I've tried to set up a choice, but it symply display the two options as if they were text lines, one following the other. May you help me to solve this out @Andar please ?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
sorry, I don't know how to use this in choices.

As I said I used an old version for some time but abandoned it incomplete when MV was announced.

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Sorry to bother again, but I have now another problem, minor, but that still blocks me in progressing in my game. I've tried to set up a choice, but it symply display the two options as if they were text lines, one following the other. May you help me to solve this out @Andar please ?
If you copy your event here, I might be able to help you, I'm using the script right now with my game.

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Here's what I've entered in the text file :

[Key] Inspecteur-choix-debut-non-mafia
[Default Choice] 3
Tu sais, je me dis quand même que cet argent ne serait pas de trop..
Tu as bien raison, jamais je ne tomberai là-dedans.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So in my stream for the No Travel Game Jam, I mentioned we were going to do a teaching make a game from beginning to end series of streams, but it had to wait on an announcement I couldn't make yet before I could start... Keep your eyes on our twitter tonight.
Surprise extra Text Adventure session! Feel free to drop by!
I just started parallax mapping. Better results for sure, but a lot more time consuming. It's more fun than I thought though.
After a bit of away time due to virus and friends in crisis (friends get priority!) I think things have calmed enough for me to try to resume my activity everywhere. :kaoluv:(I still been working on projects though!)
After watching 'Whisper Of The Heart' I've got the song 'Country roads' stuck in my head.
Don't mind it so much as that I was singing today at my Church. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
starshot90