External Text v3.3.4 (Write your game in an organized manner! Translate with ease!)

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
yes no wrapping :D . since it's basically just escape codes. maybe it could work combined with killozapit auto wrap message script. but i haven't try that yet.

second question... we only have two ways

1) use normal choice command and use \t[key] as the choice value

2) use tsukihime/raizen multiple choices script and call it using script call.

example script call

a = get_text("Choice 1")

@get_choices = [a,"No!"]

then call BLANK show choice command. it will show two choices

second one is "No!"

first one is whatever you write in text database (AND ESCAPE CODES WORK so you can put \i[10] to show icon 10, etc)

so i suggest using number 2 method.

Last edited by a moderator:

DeleteMe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for the suggestion estriole but my second question was actually asking if there were different ways to do the first question. I tried the suggestions for my second question but a choice box still shows up with no text underneath it. If this is intended behavior I think I will go with using an auto wrap script and using \t calls when showing choices.

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
could you please post the result here. if it's work or not :D . it would be helpful if someone encounter the same problem

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Mmm, sorry for not being around to answer your questions - I've been pretty busy lately. estriole, thank you for your help with answering questions - it looks to me like you've covered everything. If anyone has any further questions, please do make sure you ask - with any luck I should have more free time to answer them in the coming week.

DeleteMe

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
@estriole Yes word wrapping script + this script does indeed work with \t[key].

Specifically I am using modern alebra's ATS (advanced text system) to do the word wrapping for me. In order to call faces and a choice I would use a textbox \af[x]\t[key] and afterward I would use show choice and that would achieve the desired effect. Thank you for your suggestions estriole!

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
@Dhobby: thanks for that information.

@Enelvon: it's the least i can do to support this great script you've made :D .

Bethins

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Great script! exactly what I need to keep all my text in check!

Small question though, how do I implement the scrolling text feature though this script? "Show Scrolling Text"

Thanks!

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I... completely forgot that the scrolling text feature existed. *sighs*

I'll write up a patch that includes it - it will probably be released tomorrow or Wednesday, whatever my schedule permits.

Bethins

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Awesome!  I didn't expect to get a patch, thanks : )

/notworthy

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi,

I experimented a bit with the script, good work!

One problem that I encountered was a display problem when combining it with Fomar's Faces-to-Busts Script:

The text was wrapped too early as your script expected to include the face picture that was removed by Fomar's script.

But the fix was easy:

If someone wants to use this external text script in combination with the Face-to-bust script, simply replace the single line "width = Graph..." (snipped) in the function too_wide?(text)  at the end of the Game_Message class with

if @face_name.include?(Fomar::BUST_SYMBOL) width = Graphics.width - 24 else width = Graphics.width - (@face_name.empty? ? 24 : 136) end(of course, this quick hack only works if Fomar's script is present, it doesn't check if the script is present)

amicable

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
hey, i'm having some trouble with the automatic text wrapping. it worked like a dream at default font size, but when i shrunk the text down to 20 rather than the default 24, it went wonky and now it wraps too early. i found the too_wide? and messed around in it but got no real results, which shows i have no idea what i'm doing.

is there any way for me to be able to adjust the size of the text wrap so i can get it to work with differently scaled font?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
hey, i'm having some trouble with the automatic text wrapping. it worked like a dream at default font size, but when i shrunk the text down to 20 rather than the default 24, it went wonky and now it wraps too early. i found the too_wide? and messed around in it but got no real results, which shows i have no idea what i'm doing.

is there any way for me to be able to adjust the size of the text wrap so i can get it to work with differently scaled font?
You probably misunderstood the numbers in too_wide. the 24 in too_wide? is not a font size, but a horizontal distance to be reserved, look at my post above yours.

If you reduce that 24 to 20, you increase the space reserved for text length - usually resulting in more letters on a single line. That's why the space for text is reduced by 136 if there is a face to be placed before the textline.

Font size has to be handled somewhere else - but I don't have the script available (and aren't the original writer anyway), so I can't help you with finding the correct place for what to do with a different font size.

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
How exactly are you shrinking the font size? I just tested it myself, and it worked fine with font at size 20. My guess is that you're changing the font size only for Window_Message, correct? Give me a minute and I'll upload something that will let you use that without problems.

Edit: Updated.

amicable

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
thank you! yes, that's exactly what i was doing. i'll give it a try now :)

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
I... completely forgot that the scrolling text feature existed. *sighs*

I'll write up a patch that includes it - it will probably be released tomorrow or Wednesday, whatever my schedule permits.
One question: Has that feature been added yet or is it still not possible to use this script with scrolling text?

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Gah, looks like it's not in there. I'll have to look back and see why not... could have sworn I'd added it... maybe there was a complication I've forgotten. My notes should tell me.

Bethins

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I was gonna ask about that too but I didn't wanna sound rude since it was me that asked for it : P

Thanks for the great script!

estriole

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
indonesian
just wanna share... i write this so i can use the message code inside the txt.

but don't know if there's problem though. i mainly use it to draw party actor face only. (yanflys: \af[id]). oh and color too (\c[id])

class Window_Base  def convert_escape_characters(*args, &block)    result = en_et_wb_cec(*args, &block)    result.gsub!(/\eT\[(.+)\]/i) { if $game_text.keys.include?($1)                                      $game_text[$1][1]                                   else                                      "Invalid key [#{$1}]. No matching text exists."                                   end                                 }    return final = en_et_wb_cec(result)  endendi put it below Enelvon script

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Finally have a bit of free time again, so put up v2.0, which supports scrolling text.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
thank you ;-)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

Person: "Taxes are bs and money is, too! Anarchy!!" *Literally anything goes wrong* Same Person: "Why hasn't the government fixed this???"
Stream will be live shortly with a session of Haunting Ground! Feel free to drop by!
As for the Coronavirus? Well: "People that spend their life avoiding death are already dead (they're also rich, and I like to spend my life with their money.)"
- R. Sanchez, "Edge of Tomorty: Rick, Die, Repeat"
making pierogi and corrupting my game files wbu

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SliferZhen