External Text v3.3.4 (Write your game in an organized manner! Translate with ease!)

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Thanks for that! Not sure how those didn't come up in testing -- I probably need to update my test file. 3.0.2 of ET and 2.0.1 of ML are now on GitHub.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
I only had to tweak a couple things to make it work with my settings, but other than that I didn't find any other errors.

Just note that there are functions that I don't use so it's not a complete testing of every features.

Thank you for this awesome script!

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Updated to v3.1.0! Text is now drawn from all text files within a Text folder placed in the Data directory, so you can organize things however you'd like. Subfolders are fine!

MultiLang is now v2.1.0. It contains the same update as v3.1.0 of External Text -- each language draws its text from folders inside of the Text folder. So your languages would be contained in Data/Text/English, Data/Text/Japanese, and so on.

Finally, the Database addon has been released! It allows all of your Database text to be drawn from your External Text files. Fully compatible with MultiLang! Please note that v1.0.0 of the Database addon does not support mid-game changes of text drawn from the files (e.g. actor nickname changes), but if the files don't contain a key for that data it will work just fine. v1.1.0, estimated release Tuesday, will include support for mid-game text changes, so feel free to start using it now! That essential support will be here soon.

♥SOURCE♥

Too sexy for your party.
Reaction score
Primarily Uses
Updated to v3.1.0! Text is now drawn from all text files within a Text folder placed in the Data directory, so you can organize things however you'd like. Subfolders are fine!

MultiLang is now v2.1.0. It contains the same update as v3.1.0 of External Text -- each language draws its text from folders inside of the Text folder. So your languages would be contained in Data/Text/English, Data/Text/Japanese, and so on.
Thanks for adding my request :3 It's so convenient and comfortable to use it that way.

Finally, the Database addon has been released! It allows all of your Database text to be drawn from your External Text files. Fully compatible with MultiLang! Please note that v1.0.0 of the Database addon does not support mid-game changes of text drawn from the files (e.g. actor nickname changes), but if the files don't contain a key for that data it will work just fine. v1.1.0, estimated release Tuesday, will include support for mid-game text changes, so feel free to start using it now! That essential support will be here soon.
That sounds very good! I'll try it out.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
I have few question I wanted to make my own messages system (it's a Scene so this not work like the message_window) I was curious if I can use your script for build my message system ? but not worry this not for release this for my game!

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have few question I wanted to make my own messages system (it's a Scene so this not work like the message_window) I was curious if I can use your script for build my message system ? but not worry this not for release this for my game!
Absolutely! The script is placed under the MIT license, so you're completely free to modify it however you'd like.

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Bumped Database up to v1.0.1. Fixed a small (but potentially crashy) bug that slipped in during the first commit.

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
v3.2.0 of External Text and v1.1.0 of External Text: Database are now up! See the spoilers below for details.

External Text v3.2.0

v3.2.0 adds the ability to override keys in given save files! Use this script call:$game_system.add_override(!Key1!, !Key2!)`!Key1!` is the key that you want to override.

`!Key2!` is the key that contains the value that `!Key1!` should now reference.

You can remove overrides with this script call:

$game_system.delete_override(!Key!)`!Key!` is the key whose override you want to delete.

You do not need to delete an override before replacing it. If you call add_override for a key that already has an override, the override will be replaced.

Overrides are fully compatible with both MultiLang and Database.
External Text: Database v1.1.0

Allows you to change Vocab constants in your External Text files! Use keys in this format:[Key] Vocab_!CONST!`!CONST!` is the name of the Vocab constant that you want to adjust. Works with MultiLang!

Allows mid-game changes of any Database string through the Override system introduced in External Text v3.2.0!

Last edited by a moderator:

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
Hellow I currently work on a AI module who permit to create Scene AI in VN style (eg : shopkeeper)

http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/40656-nkea-basic-ai-module-v01-beta/#entry403479 more information here

I would love to know when I will finish to write down my script if you will accept to help me to make your script compatible with my module :o
My script should already be compatible! You'll just need to use SES::ExternalText.get_text(whatever) to grab text from the user's file and do whatever you'd like with it. If you encounter difficulties I may be able to provide some basic assistance, but my time tends to be fairly limited and I'm afraid I can't commit myself to something like full-scale support out of fear that offline life might get in the way and make me a liar.

nio kasgami

VampCat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
No worries haha Iwas not sure if this was compatible in a ways because I don't use the default message system for make the dialogues but if I encounter any minor problem I would try to find a ways to make it compatible by myself thanks for your answer : D

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
v3.3 is out! You now have the ability to control choices through External Text.

Do you like the way External Text looks but are afraid to use it because your project is huge and already contains a lot of text? Fear not! The Extractor Demiurge plugin has been released! It will pull all of your game text out of your project, organize it, format it for External Text, and even update your game's events to use External Text calls so that you don't have to worry about a thing!

Using Choices

To set up choices, create a key like you would for normal text. Give it a default option with this tag:
 [Default Choice] !Choice! 
Set !Choice! to 0 to disable canceling, to a number from 1 through the number of choices that will be provided to have that option
serve as the default, or to the number of choices + 1 (e.g. 5 if there are 4 choices) to give cancel its own branch.

Next, we'll add our choices. Just type them! Each new line of text will act as a new choice. These will get wrapped in the choice box, so feel free to make them long! If you want to add manual line breaks in a choice, use the `[Line]` tag. You can have as many choices as you want -- you're not limited to four, like in default Ace.

To show these choices, you'll need to use the `show_choices` method. Use it in a script call with this format:

show_choices(!Key!) 
!Key! should be an External Text key that you've formatted for choices as described in the previous section. This call will display the choices -- but how do you branch for them? With conditional branches!

Just set up branches that will check the value of the designated ChoiceVariable (found in the SES::ExternalText module). If the player chooses the first choice, the result will be 1, the second choice will be 2, and so on. If you set it up to use a branch for cancel, the variable will be equal to the number you gave for said branch. Easy, right? Just put all of your processing in those conditional branches. You're done!

Extractor
Extractor - this is a Demiurge plugin rather than an RM script. Put it in your Demiurge plugins directory as a .rb file, run Demiurge, and load it into your game's plugins list. A new option will be added to the Tools menu -- "Extract Text for External Text". If you select this option, you will be able to automatically extract all of your game's text (from the Database, from Events, from Common Events, from Troops, and even from the Vocab module!) into neatly organized text files that are fully compatible with External Text. If you let it extract from events (map, common, and troop), it will automatically replace the Show Text commands with calls to External Text. It will also change Show Choices commands into External Text-style conditional branches. Everything will be done for you! Make sure to back up your Data folder before running this command, just in case. No problems have been discovered, even with large test projects, but you should always be careful.

FeaR616

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
hi, I have only one question left, maybe I missed this part...

instead of face graphics, is it possible to show pictures for busts with the messages?

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
That has nothing to do with this script, as this script still uses the regular show text commands.

To replace the faces of those command with busts, you'll need a bust script - but there should be no compatibility issues as the external text script doesn't display anything by itself.

FeaR616

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
german
Primarily Uses
ah, I see, okay sorry.

I think I test this script at a later point with my system then.

Draek97

Enjoying MV~
Reaction score
First Language
English
This is a really nice script, but I didn't exactly knssing something, but can I get the language choices shown in their respective languages in-game while my folders are named something else?

Yes I did miss something. As I've never logged on on this account... I am unable to edit as I have not yet been approved by the mods. Sorry for double posting as well, mods.

flimbo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Hello,

Some feedback.. I'm using all ATS scripts from Modern Algebra (Special Message Codes,  Face Options, Formatting and Message Options). If I put External Text before all the ATS ones, and use the escape code mode (\t[!Key!]) ET  seems to coexist fine with all ATS scripts but ATS:Special Message Codes.  Escape codes inside the text file that ATS:SMC should interpret are being ignored.  So for example :

-\nb{Name}TextTextText, that should be interpreted  as "create a character name window", or

- \b that would activate bold or

-  \| that would wait a few frames before printing the rest of the text, are  simple printed as they are.

Luckily, If I use the text('!KEY!') mode, than all tested ATS:SMC escape codes works, including icons. I can also show faces with \f{"Actor1":5} and show the character name with \nb{"Name"}

Still, I wonder if would be feasable for ET and ATS:Special Message Codes to work together, using the escape code mode. It would be nice to keep the face definitions in the event interface, if possible.

Thanks a lot for this script, since english isnt my native language, it will be great for proofreading!

Enelvon

Slumbering Goddess
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
hi, I have only one question left, maybe I missed this part...

instead of face graphics, is it possible to show pictures for busts with the messages?
Andar more-or-less answered this, but to provide a little more direct feedback: I am considering a bust addon of some kind, but it's a low priority as existing bust scripts should generally work with ET.

This is a really nice script, but I didn't exactly knssing something, but can I get the language choices shown in their respective languages in-game while my folders are named something else?

Yes I did miss something. As I've never logged on on this account... I am unable to edit as I have not yet been approved by the mods. Sorry for double posting as well, mods.
Everything's working as you need it to, then? If so, great! If not, let me know and I'll try to make things a little more obvious in the script. It's no good if people can't figure out what's going on! The text of your message is a little messed up -- it looks like the mods may have merged two posts and accidentally squished something in your first sentence.

Still, I wonder if would be feasable for ET and ATS:Special Message Codes to work together, using the escape code mode. It would be nice to keep the face definitions in the event interface, if possible.

Thanks a lot for this script, since english isnt my native language, it will be great for proofreading!
Just pushed v3.3.1 up to GitHub! I don't have time to run extensive tests right now, but it should fix \t's performance when it comes to escape characters. If it doesn't, just let me know and I'll look at it again when I have a bit more time on my hands!

flimbo

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Portuguese
Primarily Uses
Just pushed v3.3.1 up to GitHub! I don't have time to run extensive tests right now, but it should fix \t's performance when it comes to escape characters. If it doesn't, just let me know and I'll look at it again when I have a bit more time on my hands!
Hi Enelvon,

Got an issue with 3.3.1, a NameError on line 701: undefined method 'convert_escape_characters' for class Game_Message

Thanks!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

So in my stream for the No Travel Game Jam, I mentioned we were going to do a teaching make a game from beginning to end series of streams, but it had to wait on an announcement I couldn't make yet before I could start... Keep your eyes on our twitter tonight.
Surprise extra Text Adventure session! Feel free to drop by!
I just started parallax mapping. Better results for sure, but a lot more time consuming. It's more fun than I thought though.
After a bit of away time due to virus and friends in crisis (friends get priority!) I think things have calmed enough for me to try to resume my activity everywhere. :kaoluv:(I still been working on projects though!)
After watching 'Whisper Of The Heart' I've got the song 'Country roads' stuck in my head.
Don't mind it so much as that I was singing today at my Church. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
insomniel