External Text v3.3.4 (Write your game in an organized manner! Translate with ease!)

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Hi!

I get a strange error message, when I change the ChoiceReplaceMessageBox  option to "never" or "always". When a choice window should be displayed, i get a crash like this:

Clipboard01.jpg

And another one. Here is my text code for a choices screen:

[Key] 5_RasinAsking
[Default Choice] 0
Remind me, what do you need again?
I have them right here.
Sorry, I couldn't buy everything you asked for.
Not yet.

Why is the third option displayed in 2 lines, one of which is empty.

Clipboard02.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

srazysnake

Villager
Reaction score
First Language
Korean
Primarily Uses
hello, I'm interested in making a game with multi-lang support... however I'm new to this 'rpgmaker' gizmo and frankly, there aren't any visual guides as to how to install this particular script- or a guide-for-dummies version of how to use this script at all;;

I'm sorry, but I cannot understand this whole 'key'.. 'faceset' professional terms;;

it just says, 'it is extremely easy to use'... when it isn't. []

maybe it is- but the guide sure-ain't.

tried to understand and install it.. but cannot find this 'language array' where I should input the name of my text files on the core script...

it doesn't even say which of the 1- 100 whatnot line this 'language array' is within the core script.

I dunno, maybe it's an old guide and it doesn't exist?

when installed, it keep says cannot find English.vx2 somethingsomething and won't even let me testplay it. [][]

also, I could understand upto the part where I create a 'folder' in Data folder named 'Text' and creating text files within that 'Text' named folder..

but doesn't say as how to specifically create those text files- the guide just says, 'use Key! name!'......wha..???????

am I supposed to just copy- paste those single command line into the text files within the 'Text' folder? or are those commands for the later use within the script?

... all I want to do is create an rpgvxace game with multiple language options. []

I'm snake, looking for guidance- thank you.

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
hello, I'm interested in making a game with multi-lang support... however I'm new to this 'rpgmaker' gizmo and frankly, there aren't any visual guides as to how to install this particular script- or a guide-for-dummies version of how to use this script at all;;

I'm sorry, but I cannot understand this whole 'key'.. 'faceset' professional terms;;

it just says, 'it is extremely easy to use'... when it isn't. []

maybe it is- but the guide sure-ain't.

tried to understand and install it.. but cannot find this 'language array' where I should input the name of my text files on the core script...

it doesn't even say which of the 1- 100 whatnot line this 'language array' is within the core script.

I dunno, maybe it's an old guide and it doesn't exist?

when installed, it keep says cannot find English.vx2 somethingsomething and won't even let me testplay it. [][]

also, I could understand upto the part where I create a 'folder' in Data folder named 'Text' and creating text files within that 'Text' named folder..

but doesn't say as how to specifically create those text files- the guide just says, 'use Key! name!'......wha..???????

am I supposed to just copy- paste those single command line into the text files within the 'Text' folder? or are those commands for the later use within the script?

... all I want to do is create an rpgvxace game with multiple language options. []

I'm snake, looking for guidance- thank you.
Hi. I myself had some problem with understanding this script at first, but it turned out quite simple. I think the best option is to give an example. So, you have copied to the script into your game, you created the text file in the Data folder. Let's say you want the character to say: Hello, my name is Ryan.  

Then you write this into the text file:

[Key] Ryan_dialogue1

Hello, my name is Ryan.

Then, in the editor, call a script in an event (it's on the 3rd page of the events window), and write this into the script windows
text('Ryan_dialogue1')

And that's it. You can use anything for Ryan_dialogue1, that is just a string, but it has to be unique for every dialogue line. Now, if you want to display the Character names's in the message box, you write this in the text file:

[Key] Ryan_dialogue1

[Name] Ryan

Hello, my name is Ryan.

There are many other options, but as you can see above, this is the gist of it.

You use the [Key] [Name] [DFace] etc tags in the text file, and you write a string after them. Then you write the text. And in the game, you call a script with a text('insert your key here') command.

Since I don't use the multilang part of the script, I can't comment on that, but I think if you figure out the main external text script, it cannot be that difficult.

BCj

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Dutch
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is it also possible to call a common event in the script?

E.g. text [blabla]
[call common event: Characterface1]
[tekst: blabla]

Edit: And I just fiddled with it but it gives me an error. I don't understand..
I have a text.txt file with this:

[Key] Bandit_dialogue1
[Name] Lumia
You! Where did you leave Makas?!

And a scriptcall
text('Bandit_dialogue1')

It doesn't do anything, just gives me errors.

J_C

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Hungarian
Primarily Uses
N/A
Is there a chance that this script will be ported to RPG Maker MV in the near future? 

Dark_Metamorphosis

What a horrible night to have a curse.
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Swedish
Primarily Uses
Been trying to use the extract add on to give me a good start to use this script, but when I try to extract it from Demiurge many of the maps disappear from my project, all of the text files are transfered without a problem but some of the maps gets reset both when it comes to events and the mapping layout of the map. Anything I might be doing wrong for this to happen, or how come the initial data files for my maps are altered?

Also I'm a bit unsure on how to add a integer for a specific amount of key entries in the same block_text. If I just use the ordinary sorted one, all of the entries will be shown before the rest of the event triggers. What I would need is to have for example 1-5 of the same entry add the wait time, or whatever other events that should happen in between then add the other 6- whatever number. As it is now I have to add every single entry one after the other, would be really nice to show a certain amount of entries in the key with only one script call.

Edit: Pretty hard to organize this properly, but it will be amazing once you have it sorted out! Really great script! Hopefully I can add some organisation to it so nothing gets confusing :p  The interactable events are the worst part, and I cant decide if I shall add a side quest folder with every entry for the quests or list all the Npcs in each map instead. How do you people usually organize this to find it easy? :D

In any case it will be a lot easier to control everything from the folders than from all the events in the game-engine, that's for sure :D  

Erkallys

Newbie to be great some day
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Very cool script, at least it seems, since I'm unable to use it. I created a simple event to test it, and it says me : error at line 587 : ArgumentError "invalide byte sequence in UTF-8". Could you please help me ? This script would save me a precious time !

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
you need to resave the text file. Check notepad on saving, it allows for different encoding like Ansi or UTF, and you used the wrong coding type (that would be my guess on that error message)

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
you need to resave the text file. Check notepad on saving, it allows for different encoding like Ansi or UTF, and you used the wrong coding type (that would be my guess on that error message)
Thank you, it solved my problem, but now I got a new one. I get a an error at the line 1411.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
how do people expect to get help if they don't post the error messages they got?

Scripts like these are to complex to help without info, and they work for others so it is probably something you did wrong (when I used it years ago, I needed several tries to get the syntax right in the text files)

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
how do people expect to get help if they don't post the error messages they got?

Scripts like these are to complex to help without info, and they work for others so it is probably something you did wrong (when I used it years ago, I needed several tries to get the syntax right in the text files)
Script 'Game_Interpreter' line 1411: NoMethodError occured.

undefined method 'lala!' for #<Game_Interpreter:0xbb41ba1c>

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
that means you have a syntax error an event, and you need to give a screenshot of the event that was running when that error happened.

If "lala!" was one of your keys for texts, you used it in the wrong way.

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Événement 004.png

Here is the event page. !lala! is the name of the of the text, following [Key] in the title.

cabfe

Cool Cat
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Erkallys:

Your script call should be in the form:

text("your_key_here")

Try adding quotes " " to see if it works better.

I don't know if using the ! character is all right, I never tried it, but you can also test without it to be sure.

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
as cabfe said, you didn't read the instructions carefully enough - I admit that they are abbreviated here, but on the github there was an example

Script Calls

To display text, place this in an event's script command:

text(!Key!)

!Key! should be replaced with a string corresponding to the key of the text that you want to display. As an example, if I had a text key called Intro, I would use this to call it:

text('Intro')

so the correct scriptcall would have been

text('!lala!')

the ! can be used in your keys, but they are not needed

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
@cabfe @Andar

Thank you to you two. My second problem is solved, but now another one appears. Here's the error I get :

Script 'Game_Interpreter' line 1411: NoMethodError occured

undefined method '[]' for nil:NilClass

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
all gameinterpreter errors mean a problem in an event script command, usually a typo or a wrong syntax.

so we always need a screenshot of the script command where you made your mistake.

That said, it looks as if you're using the wrong brackets, you need ()

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Événement 004-2.png

Not so much to get from that screenshot. I've only changed !lala! into "lala".

Andar

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
German
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Did you also remove the ! from your textfile if you changed the key name here?

Anyway, I think we need to check if that error really comes from that script.

Please follow the link "how to use a script" in my signature. In the bughunt section of that tutorial, you'll find a link and a description on how to use the backtracer script.

Please install that script, run your game again and give us the full error output from the console (that output is created by the backtracer), then we can see where the error was really caused (1411 is only the line where it was detected, but not where the error is)

Erkallys

Reaction score
First Language
French
Primarily Uses
Here's what I get from the console :

RGSS Console.png

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

So in my stream for the No Travel Game Jam, I mentioned we were going to do a teaching make a game from beginning to end series of streams, but it had to wait on an announcement I couldn't make yet before I could start... Keep your eyes on our twitter tonight.
Surprise extra Text Adventure session! Feel free to drop by!
I just started parallax mapping. Better results for sure, but a lot more time consuming. It's more fun than I thought though.
After a bit of away time due to virus and friends in crisis (friends get priority!) I think things have calmed enough for me to try to resume my activity everywhere. :kaoluv:(I still been working on projects though!)
After watching 'Whisper Of The Heart' I've got the song 'Country roads' stuck in my head.
Don't mind it so much as that I was singing today at my Church. :kaoswt:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Geniya_Shinta