Extract Events to Text File 1.03Introduction
This is a DEVELOPMENT script (should not be included in released games) that will let you extract the contents of ALL of your events into text files that can be opened and viewed in a spreadsheet.
This is for VIEWING events only - checking your event logic, proofreading (or as a starting point for translation), searching for switch/variable/item usage, etc. There is NO facility to make changes to these files and merge the changes back into the game. I will not be creating such a facility.
1.02 11 May 2020 Fix crash with Change Parallax Background 1.01 22 Jun 2014 Fix crash with troop event conditions 1.03 22 Jul 2020 Fix name on Show Balloon Icon Fix actor in Change Equipment Fix actor in Chagne Nickname
- Optionally extract common events
- Optionally extract battle events
- Extract events from all maps, or from a single map
- Open extracted data in a spreadsheet to convert to columns, browse, search and sort
- Data/_EventContents.txt contains ALL event commands
- Data/_EventDialogue.txt contains all event commands causing text to be displayed (Show Text, Show Choices, name processing, etc)
- Data/_EventSwitchesVariables.txt contains all event commands and conditions that use or change switches or variables
Data/_EventContents.txt converted to columns:
Copy and paste the script into a new slot in Materials, below all other scripts.
Check the customize options. They are explained in the script header, and the constants/variables to change are in the first few lines of script.
Enable or disable the script by commenting out the entire thing. It does not use switches or get called - if it's not commented out, it runs.
Run your game. When your title screen appears, the script has run and the files have been created.
Close the game and disable the script (Ctrl A, Ctrl Q will select and disable, or select and enable the whole thing).
Open the .txt files and copy and paste the contents into spreadsheets.
Use the spreadsheet's Convert Text to Columns feature to separate the text using a delimiter. The default delimiter is the ^ character.
Credit and Thanks
- You do NOT need to list me in your game credits if you use this script - it is for development only and should be removed before you release your game
- Okay to use in development of commercial games
On some event commands I have not included all the parameters (for example, Show Picture and Move Picture do not include the Zoom parameters).
I don't have a complete list of these.
If you use a command and discover some of its parameters are missing, please post below with the command name and the missing parameters, and I will include it in a future update.
Stuff not included
I don't extract the sprite name or autonomous move route details from event pages.
I should do this.
I will include it in a future update.
I have not tested every single event command with every single possible combination of options.
I fully expect that some of you will be using commands I have not yet tested, and MAY result in the script crashing before the title screen appears.
If this happens, please take a screenshot of the error message, or type the FULL error message text here EXACTLY as it appears in the error window.
Also indicate in your post what version of the script you are using.
Then disable the script so you can continue working on your game while waiting for a fix.
Any bugs and fixes will be listed here until they are added to a new version.