Unqou

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Hi. I'm (slowly) developing a commercial application that should allow creating a multi-language game with RpgMaker VX Ace AND/OR RpgMaker MV (the two rpg makers I own).

The application did the job in two steps.
On the first step, it extracts all game text (messages, etc) and collect them in a .po file (.po file is a format that is thinked for translations -> see gettext documentation) wich can be easily managed by the translators to add their own translation to the game.

On the second step, the application, after collecting all finished and translated .po files, will generate a script for RpgMaker VX Ace (to be included in the Script Editor) wich will embed all translations.

----

Well my problem is in the first step, expecially if I compare RpgMaker MV user experience vs RpgMaker VX Ace user experience.
In RpgMaker MV the application will create itself the initial blank .po file without having to ask too many actions to the end-user.
This becouse the MV database can be easily parsed since it is not cripted and it uses .json language.

In RpgMaker VX Ace this operation is currently more trivial. In particular I have to force the end-user to do some manual actions:
1) the user must add two scripts to Script Editor in order to extract all data. The first script is the event extract made by Shaz (wich I asked for permission). The second script is a text extract from "Database" (example: name of weapons, etc) made by me.
Those extractors will create two text files (intermediate files) wich are different each other.
2) The user must remember to "play test" in order to make those script runs and must remember to remove those script before releasing the game due to script license terms.
3) The user must then continue to use my application that will parse those intermediate text files in order to create the final .po file.

It would be better if it would be possible (even embedding ruby in my application) to collect all text(s) directly from ruby marshall data files, without having to ask the user to open the editor in order to create the .po file.
The problem is that extracting ruby data requires to define a 'workaround' somehow. I mean: there are some ruby classes (that are defined in the (c/c++?) source of RpgMaker VX Ace engine and are not publicly available as ruby file, wich are however required to be correctly defined in order to be able to parse the database.

Obliouvsly in the final step the user must use the Script Editor to paste the final code generated by my application (I don't want to make an application that could create legal issues of any type).

Thank in advance for any reply.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
@Unqou 'RGSS3 Scripts' is for completed scripts only so this will have to be moved. However there are 2 places it could go, depending on exactly what it is that you are looking for.

Please look at both 'Scripts in Development' and 'Learning Ruby and RGSSx' and decide which one would fit your needs best. I'm on my phone so can't do links. When you have decided post here to say which it is and then the thread can be moved.

Unqou

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian
Primarily Uses
RMMV
Perhaps the "Scripts in Develpment" is better. Actually the ruby script(s) for extracting data Through Script Editor (mentioned in the post) are finished and working. Since I'm asking if it is possible to develop an "undependant" version of those scripts (a version wich will not require to be copied in Script Editor and executed within a game test) probably that section fits better my question.
Thank for pointing me I was publishing in a wrong section.

Kes

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Okay,
[mod]Moving to Scripts in Development[/mod]

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Posts

Latest Profile Posts

ESAMarathon on Twitch, now streaming "Eat Girl". Yep, that's the title of a game... Apparently it's a Pacman knockoff.... Which is of course the only logical conclusion one would get from a name like "Eat Girl". :kaopride: I can't believe anybody would think anything else! :kaoback:
Super stoked i just finished my first town in my project, by finished i mean i can always add more decorative aesthetics and the NPCs don't talk yet but the mapping is complete and all the important chess pieces are present!
My brain: Hey, I have an idea how to make the transition to the main story quest in The Wastes more natural!
Me: Good!
My brain: You need to remake the hotel you start out in, it's not realistic enough.
Me: Ok... This was unexpected, but I can do it.
My brain: Now make each hotel floor 5 times as large to match the main part. Oh, you also need to make a bunch of new npcs to fill in the space on these maps.
Me: Crap.
Should be able to release Haxe MV/MZ next weekend.
It look that somehow MZ tracks are messed up (for example battle4 is obviously a theme, castle2 is a ship, ship1 is a scene and so on..). Maybe they just named them after with some ambiguity.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lightnvs