RMMV Eyes of Rain

Discussion in 'Ideas and Prototypes' started by Vaena, May 2, 2018.

1. Vaena

Vaena Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Eyes of Rain
    A dark spell is cast over an unknown child. Can you break the spell? Do you even want to?

'ABOUT ME', STORY ORIGINS
    Eyes of Rain is a story I wrote years ago that I initially intended to be a comic/manga. I discovered a platform that allowed you to upload your story, and decided to build it there.

I fell in love with the branching possibilities of VN/Choose your story games and have since also published a coauthored story on the same platform. Both stories were fairly well received. Many praised the branching and varied endings, and ironically therein was my main issue: My ideas swiftly outgrew what the platform was capable of in its very limited code space. I kept having to cut back on content to make it fit.

After multiple readers referred to my storylines and choice mechanics as 'closer to playing an rpg' I thought, Why not just try making one, then? And here I am!

My main inspiration for choices, consequences, and gameplay: Bethesda and Bioware

GAMEPLAY
    • The style of game is top down jrpg with SV battles using MV.
    • Multiple endings based on choices (three main differences currently planned, not including romance choices)
    • Many of the characters are close to immortal, so a 'game over' is tied to one specific character's death (after all KO'd)
    • Main quests and side quests that alter the fate of various characters, and who may or may not be recruitable
    • An item in inventory that opens up a 'camp' where party members can be conversed with (and some potentially romanced), inspired by Dragon Age.
    • Hand-drawn busts for main character conversations
    • Party banter based on location (thanks to Yanfly!) and current events
    • Special sidequests that further develop the characters if you take the time to seek them out and listen to hints.
    • LGBT content

CHARACTERS
    A few of the characters I have concept work and initial sprite work completed for (all incomplete art):

KENIVA

Race: Human??
    Weapon of choice: Daggers
    Special ability: Auto-regen
    Party member: Yes. One of two initial character starting points.
    Initial story knowledge: Hunts vampires and their 'leftovers' (undead) with a vengeance. Seeks out Citlali for reasons as yet unknown.
    received_10215410331189525.png

CITLALI

Race: Human ??
    Weapon of choice: None initially, then magic imbued staff
    Special ability: Able to learn any spell contained on a staff
    Party member: Yes. One of two initial character starting points.
    Initial story knowledge: A simple baker with a special talent for anything containing strawberries.

20180430_140314.jpg

INIKO

Race: Imp
    Weapon of choice: A sword or bow if he must, but primarily flame magic.
    Special ability: Time magic, immune to fire damage, flame damage bonus
    Party member: Yes.
    Initial story knowledge: Even though Keniva typically kills imps on sight, for some reason she allows Iniko to not only live but follow her around. Even he readily admits he is walking on thin ice, and does not dare risk doing anything to truly anger her.

Screenshot_20180428-112450_20180501085634884.jpg

More to come as I finish concept work of them :)

STORYLINE
    The story intro shows a sinister woman casting a spell over a pregnant woman. She then wipes the memory of the mother, and leaves.

You then choose to begin the story as either Keniva or Citlali, though soon after the story begins they meet up and both join your party. It is learned that Keniva seems to know Citlali somehow, though she has no memory of ever meeting her and neither does anyone else she knows. Keniva insists that Citlali join her in killing vampires, yet initially deflects questions as to why.

As the story progresses you slowly unlock deep truths about various party members pasts, presents, and potential futures.

SETTING
    The world is a fully invented fantasy world, with limited technology (some lighting mostly) and closer to a medieval feel. There is magic, but it is forgotten by most humans. Other races keep out of sight, and as their world warps and magic twists their kin they only grow more wary of the seemingly unaffected humans.

Current races (may add more): Fairy, Succubus, Imp, God, Vampires, Shifters, Humans, Elves

IMAGES/SCREENSHOTS

After spending a week tweaking tiles to match the sizes of the sprites as closely as possible, I am ready to start putting together the actual maps. I have been spending time making various elements I want in the game work, and have managed to get the quest log, party banter, "campsite", and a few other things the way I want. Now to start building! :)

Added a screenshot of me working on a quest, as well as a WIP of the world map.

received_10215416183575831.png

received_10215507352254991.png

received_10215517564430289.png

DOWNLOAD LINK

Game is slowly being built now, but still will be a while before a working demo is available.

Last edited: May 12, 2018
  2. mobiusclimber

mobiusclimber Veteran Veteran

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Looks good so far! I love the fact that you can choose who's viewpoint you play as.

Vaena likes this.
  3. Vaena

Vaena Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Thanks! I wanted to have an update with some maps by now, but doodads have taken for.ev.er, lol. I have about 5 sheets to go of those little things and finally I can start building maps 'officially'.

I did test out a camp system and have it so that it will remember who your lead character is, and 'formation' is restricted once there to avoid any awkward talking-to-myself moments. Ideally I will have the dialogues alter based on who the MC is as well. Shouldn't be too difficult (but WILL be time consuming) with various event pages and conditional statements. You then technically can switch out who you play as, and the dialogues will alter accordingly, ...but most likely people will pick one person and keep them as their MC the whole time. (I would, haha.) I will do my best to make sure the game 'works' regardless, though.

As soon as I finish a few maps I will start working on finalizing the character art so it isn't all sketchy. Thanks for replying. ^_^

4. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    Oh man, I know all about the headaches of planning out and event-ing player choice regarding characters. I'm working on a game that sneakily allows the player to choose their starting party, which will be their default party for a large portion of the game. I have dialogue worked out where different people will make comments if they're in your party. It's a huge pain, especially since I'm doing it in FES, and it's fairly inflexible.

Vaena likes this.
  5. Vaena

Vaena Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    @mobiusclimber Yeah, it's easy to underestimate how much branching is actually involved. Having one conversation go differently for four people you think "hey, just four branches meh". But then say those four people come back and have another conversation... and another... and choose different options... it gets very complex, very quickly.

mobiusclimber likes this.
  6. mobiusclimber

First Language:
    english
    Primarily Uses:
    RMMV
    I found the hard way that mapping out everything is the only way to do it. Especially since I tend to write as I go along, it's the only way I can keep straight what info I've given the player in any given playthru, to make sure they get it all, and to keep track of variables.

Vaena likes this.
  7. Vaena

Vaena Villager Member

First Language:
    English
    Primarily Uses:
    Other
    Update:

* I have managed to get the character select screen working (though rather than a character image, it is just a giant handwritten picture. Humorous possibly, but not worth sharing, haha.) and it loads the appropriate "main quest", map, and character after choosing.
    * I have the quests working, although the UI is still all default and the quests aren't seriously worded yet.
    * I am leaning toward having the game recognize "you" as the character you choose rather than allowing you to switch personas (remove 'main character'). This is because I may add another love interest or two, and the branching would get extremely heavy otherwise. Probably not necessary to allow people to alter who 'they' are, either, as most will chose to be the same person regardless.
    * I have begun building various maps, and am ready to start actually building the game.

What I am working on next and/or could use suggestions on:

*For the world map I am not quite sure how I want to do the 'towns' in appearance. The art I have chosen is somewhat of a combo between chibi and parralax/fantasy/medieval. It should compliment my art style, and the inside of the town area looks well enough... but I can't decide how to show a 'full town' on the overworld. Currently I have just tossed placeholders randomly chosen from the default tiles. (Example map added above.) Maybe a fenced area for any full villages and just a single 'house' if it is something smaller? Hmm...

* I would like two different things to go transparent when approached and/or when an NPC is approached. I haven't worked the mechanics of this out quite yet. Specifically- one area is inaccessible until later in the game, and due to storyline it has an illusion spell on it that makes people pass by without realizing it. I may just have to have a teleport event at the edges that maybe plays a sound effect and jumps you to the other side to prevent using a parallel event and eating memory. There are also two characters that when approaching humans they render themselves invisible. I'm thinking possibly a common event that turns each one transparent that I place on each human NPC? It would probably require some scripting as I believe the only menu option turns all party members transparent. Haven't dug in too far just yet, as it is my 'next'.

Rehjul likes this.