Facebook no more.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
So, today I wanted to share the contents inside the spoiler on facebook.

Unfortunately I could not.

Facebook wants me to ensure them I use my true name, in order to access my profile again.

So they asked me to send them a picture (a photo) of my ID or another official paper that shows I am the one I say I am.

This is not an infringement of our personal data and info. They literaly ask from us to voluntartely provide the data to them, or we will not particiapte on facebook anymore. So simple.

You know what?

THEM!

I do not react well on blackmailings. Because that's what I feel it is. If you want your profile back, give us your ID. If facebook guys want to have such a netwrok and they didn't liked the fact they dominated the social network market, I don't care and it seems they don't either.

So I will leave my account suspended. Who gives a fart? Just wanted to share this with you though, because there will be people unable to access RPG Maker group on facebook.

So people, what do you think of that incident?

Will you give your personal ID?

Will you quit?

How do you feel about that?

Last edited by a moderator:

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
BIG (HUUUUGE!) Round of applause for Dreadshadow! Screw Facebook! I quit long ago, but I still encourage everybody to dump it. I think its a bunch of crap how much data they take in and sell and god knows what else they do with it.

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
What name did you use? Dreadshadow?

Sennie

Demon Slayer
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I would never give my personal ID, especially to a site like Facebook because you simply don't know what they will do with it! I'm not a member of Facebook and never have been. I thought about joining a while a go but thankfully did not! Thanks @Dreadshadow for informing us of this :)

I think its awful. Being all but blackmailed to have your account back is terrible. Like you said: screw them!!

Vox Novus

Knight of Whispers
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
To be fair a lot of people use fake accounts and what not and even fool people into thinking they are celebrities, etc... so I sort of get where they would be coming from. That being said it seems a little intrusive.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
What name did you use? Dreadshadow?
My first name was my first name irl

My last name was the three first letters of my real last name.

And it is MY freaking right to keep my last name away from public view through facebook (I got it on LinkedIn so WHY on facebook) I am not paranoid on giving information online.

But I am also not an idiot.

And I REALLY don't like that kind of policy. It is not that they are wrong. I accepted the terms of use (that I never read anyway, who does?) and now terms come to bite my ass. So I can not access my account, if I will not send a photo of my ID. Seriously? Good riddance.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
They did nothing wrong.

They just strictly apply the terms of use where they believe an account can potentially be fake and stuff.

How? I bet using a bot or script to search for odd names ,through some programmed rules.

My last name was 3 letter long. OH! A POTENTIAL NAME THAT DOES NOT MATCH THE REAL ONE! SUSPEND THIS GUY!

And they still didn't made anything wrong.

Then they demand my real ID and my name changed to the real one in order to continue using their platform.

They STILL didn't do anything wrong. It is in the terms.

The one who was wrong was me using it. 

I actually thank facebook for explaining me why.

And as I said, good riddance.

I am also free from the social pressure I had sustained for so much time.

And I am actually happy with that. The only bad thing is that we can not access marketing groups, like the one RPG Maker has.

Okay I am on the forum but most people aren't though.

EDIT:

They replied requesting just my name on the ID.

I can delete the rest of the personal data from the photo, they don't mind...

I can't stop laughing at the moment. I am not sure if I want to do this step.

I am not sure but you know what? I am gonna do this to just strip my account from stuff.

It is MY data and it is a good opportunity to access the option to delete my account.

OH! YES! You can't even delete your account! LOL!  :p

Let's see how this goes, I will first ask a few more questions just to make sure.

I send a driving license stripped from everything else than my photo (facebook already has a lot) my date of birth (I put the real one) and my name and surname.

Good luck to them changing it into something meaningful. Greek names in latin sound 100% wrong and I freaking know better than them.

Not that it will have any impact. I will strip my account ASAP and just close it whatsoever. :p

Dalph

Nega Ralph™ (Retired Overlord of Memes)
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Italian Curses
Primarily Uses
RMMV
You did the right thing Dread, just close it and don't bother about it anymore. Facebook is funny (in a pathetic way), I have an old and unused profile there but I almost never login because I feel like it's a waste of time. The website itself is boring to death and mostly a place for nosy people who like to gossip (I feel like privacy doesn't exist at all there). Not really my cup of tea, I have way better things to do.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
Well, sadly when you "delete" your account, Facebook still stores that data. They never let it go, as far as I understand. My account still exists online, but I changed the password to a random string of about 20 characters that I will never remember.

BTW, last I knew, you COULD sign up for an account that is not a person. I'd forgotten I have one set up for sleep chamber productions that I never use, and last I knew they didnt hassle me about it. Not like when trying to make an account with a fake name.

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
 (I feel like privacy doesn't exist at all there). Not really my cup of tea, I have way better things to do.
   Could that maybe be because facebook sells every piece of information you put up that they can find a buyer for? Or just the fact that America, China, Russia and who knows who else are all engaged in a worldwide cyber war hacking into both their rivals and their own citizens various online accounts indiscriminately? No, online diaries are a stupider idea now than they were ten years ago, and they were a pretty dumb idea back then to in my opinion. 

Welcome to the club Deathswallow(Edit:Dreadshadow, I strait up read your name as someone else's with similar structure), if you have any kids they might resent you for a minute, but staying away from those data traps can be nothing but beneficial in the end.

Razelle

Out of Date Hallucination
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Entish
Primarily Uses
I avoid Facebook like the plague. I sometimes look over a friend's shoulder to see what our friends/family say sometimes, but it's mostly a circle-jerk full of nothing but overshared text-on-images and "Like this post if you love Jesus, ignore and go to Hell." type stuff.

If I really want to know how someone is doing, we can meet in person or listen to each other's voices by phone. Much more personal that way too, so no one but the real gossips get all gossipy.

You definitely made the right call regardless; blackmail is never cool.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
First things first. I will update my profile picture to a more appropriate one.

HERE!

Alexander Amnell

Jaded Optimist
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
N/A
I'm tired and pressed quote instead of edit...sorry. 

Tsukihime

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
I'm sure there are plenty of things you're already voluntarily giving your credentials away.

Facebook is a great tool, and if something new comes along and everyone uses it, then I'll use that as well.

I don't really mind if they have my name.

_Shadow_

Tech Magician Level:
Reaction score
First Language
Greek
Primarily Uses
RMMV
A] I'm sure there are plenty of things you're already voluntarily giving your credentials away.

B] Facebook is a great tool, and if something new comes along and everyone uses it, then I'll use that as well.

C] I don't really mind if they have my name.
A] Yes I confirm you that.

B] Correct but you lose my point friend. :(

C] Neither do I.

B (again) ] What I am really concerned is how they  asked for it. And mostly, why the hell. Everyone is on Facebook, because it started without those terms. Facebook has changed a lot. Some things are good, some are bad. The fact is that the facebook we liked years ago, is not the same facebook like today's facebook. This incident just refreshed my awareness of that fact. Facebook did nothing bad from their part, neither I said they did something bad. But it still isn't the facebook I personally liked so I can say good riddance now. And I am happy about that. But have no beef with facebook.

I will start no rants or blame it for doing anything illegal. They don't. IF I WANT TO BE A PART OF IT I FREELY CHOOSE TO BE. I choose not. That's all. :)

Facebook was a communication and meet people you had lost contact platform back in the days.

Today is full of social engineering bullcrap, marketing, ads, you know... things that were not there.

Do I blame Facebook? NO!

It just reached a point I can't feel welcome inside its enviroment. I don't want this thread to turn into a rant vs facebook, so I want to make this thing straight with you and everyone. Yes facebook is nice, it is just not for me anymore. I dislike its new terms but I blame only myself for accepting them without reading them and nobody else. Fair and honest enough I suppose.

The bad thing is that people will get annoyed by that. And people will not own an account anymore. And that means groups will lose communication power on it.

RPG Maker group posts exclusive assets we might lose. THAT is the reason I started this thread. :)

By the way, @Tsukihime I like your calm cool chill attitude. It is something that is missing from the modern world. :)

Hoppy

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
That's unethical, Facebook should get sued for this.

Sausage_Boi

Game Dev. "Artist."
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
Americanese
Primarily Uses
RMVXA
That's unethical, Facebook should get sued for this.
Its a private company running private servers. And since it is entirely voluntary whether or not you use their service, they can ask for these credentials.

noctiluca

Veteran
Veteran
Reaction score
First Language
English
Primarily Uses
I have a deactivated Facebook account that I haven't touched in years (I wanted to delete it but they make doing that hard), though I think bots are trying to get into it because every once in a while I get one of those "sorry you're having trouble getting into your account" emails...

I never even really used it to begin with, and wanted to quit after all it seemed to do for me was give me notices when people I knew or was close with passed away. My friend list was really small to begin with, and now maybe half of the names on there are never going to update again anyway. Another friend of mine quit using Facebook for the same reason (same social circle), plus she was sick of her family members being obsessed over it.

Speaking of which, the obsession some people have (or had) with Facebook is really bizarre and disturbing. And to think I used to be given a hard time by some of these same folks because I liked posting on online discussion boards back in the day.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Latest Threads

Latest Profile Posts

I got a new rpg idea yesterday, titled "The Hero We Summoned to Save Us is a War Criminal from our Past?!"
Work on Yanfly's MZ plug-ins is coming along nicely. Looking forward to getting them: http://www.yanfly.moe/wiki/Core_Engine_VisuStella_MZ
so uh variables can only be used for num lol? I guess I gotta fix that once MZ come out lol
I didn't think I'd spend the evening jamming out to the battle theme of a Hole Punch.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BM_ANDERSON